advertisement

Strata East reissues

Interesting, on the Nimbus website, they claim that the Outernational reissues are bootlegs and that the Nimbus owner was 'conned'. I didn't realize this but my copy sounds pretty good.

The 'official' Nimbus website itself in any case looks pretty poor in terms of design, info and offerings.

Interesting, on the Nimbus website, they claim that the Outernational reissues are bootlegs and that the Nimbus owner was 'conned'. I didn't realize this but my copy sounds pretty good. The 'official' Nimbus website itself in any case looks pretty poor in terms of design, info and offerings.

Looks like permission was sought by Outernational but the deal has gone sour since Albach’s death in 2020. I also have an Outernational Fight 17 LP and it doesn’t sound like a compressed MP3 file to me, probably more likely CD or digital file.

One thing that is made clear in the interview article linked to above by the current Nimbus governors is that the current batch of Pure Pleasure titles are legitimate, some taken from digital source and some AAA mastered by Kevin Gray from the analogue masters. I think we have already established that in this thread, but it’s nice to have confirmation.

Got an original Adele Sebastian ‘Desert Fairy Princess’…paid £15 for it…wonderful sounding record…goes for silly money these days..used to see it all the time in record shops in the early nineties

Nice when that happens. Interestingly Desert Fairy Princess was one of the few titles on the Nimbus label to actually sell. I’m not familiar with it, but it sounds interesting - especially with Billy Higgins on drums. (Legitimate reissue now available on Pure Pleasure).

Graham, the Desert Fairy is good and also pretty good sounding but I am not sure it will be up your alley. It's got some vocals in the 'spiritual' jazz style...;)

I am a long term fan of Billy Harper who was mostly underappreciated and unheralded during his earlier years. Probably no major label was interested in recording him but his series of albums made for Japanese labels were great as were the ones made for Black Saint and Soul Note. I believe his album ('Black Saint') was actually the very first album that Black Saint put out.

On a related matter, I am busy buying up any interesting albums I can find on Black Saint and Soul Note before social media influencers, hipsters and millennials decide that these are the next "cool" thing after Strata East and Black Jazz and Nimbus. You heard it here first! I am only half-kidding and hope that never comes to pass.

On a related matter, I am busy buying up any interesting albums I can find on Black Saint and Soul Note before social media influencers, hipsters and millennials decide that these are the next "cool" thing after Strata East and Black Jazz and Nimbus. You heard it here first! I am only half-kidding and hope that never comes to pass.

Being a fully fledged Hipster and Influencer (if only.....) all I can say is fill yer boots. I'd agree that there seems to be more interest in both labels, I seem to remember at least one vinyl compilation in the last year or so. Think I've said it before, but I managed to find 40 or more titles of Black Saint and Soul Note LPs - factory sealed - in the early 90s for £2 each. It was around the time of changeover to CD, and it's hard to believe that there was a surplus of vinyl that distributors, such as NMDS, were having difficulty shifting.

Some great music and recordings, as you already know. A couple of titles I'd single out that often get overlooked are Bill Dixon's In Italy Vol 1 and 2, as well as Myth of Sisyphus, which remains a personal favourite. Old and New Dreams get played quite a bit, too. Then there's all the Braxton titles. I could go on. There are few duds.

advertisement

Back