advertisement

Strata East reissues

Couple of Pure Pleasure just in at Honest Jon's, a Charles Rouse and a Stanley Cowell. Sounding good on Youtube, just trying to figure out if I really need to drop £50 on them. They've got quite a few others still in stock as well:
https://honestjons.com/shop/label/Strata-East_Pure_Pleasure

And this, not Strata East but related:
https://honestjons.com/shop/artist/New_Life_Trio/release/Visions_Of_The_Third_Eye

I have no experience of the Early Future label, but looks like it has been legitimately released and researched:
https://earlyfuturerecords.bandcamp.com/album/visions-of-the-third-eye

Update - unfortunately New Life Trio mastered from vinyl.

Last edited:
And this, not Strata East but related:
https://honestjons.com/shop/artist/New_Life_Trio/release/Visions_Of_The_Third_Eye

I have no experience of the Early Future label, but looks like it has been legitimately released and researched:
Great stuff. I remember one of the tracks from the Universal Sounds of America compilation from the early '90s, one of two or three records that got me into jazz.

Very up for this kind of thing right now having over-indulged on Blue Note over the last year or so.

Well the Charles Rouse is great: wonderful music and great SQ, nice packaging. My first of these and I’ll be back for more.

The New Life Trio is nice too, and has an inner sleeve made of some kind of soft, organic, hemp-type material - never seen the type before.

The New Life Trio is nice too, and has an inner sleeve made of some kind of soft, organic, hemp-type material - never seen the type before.

Does the fact it’s been mastered from vinyl get in the way? Is it obvious with groove wear and other distortions or is it nice and clean and dynamic? I ask as it’s a great record.

Does the fact it’s been mastered from vinyl get in the way? Is it obvious with groove wear and other distortions or is it nice and clean and dynamic? I ask as it’s a great record.
I’d never have guessed, actually: it sounds very clean and dynamic to me (first side and a half anyway, my listening is was rudely interrupted). I’m listening with a more basic TT and cart than usual and there are flaws I may be missing as a result. I’ll have a more critical listen when I get the chance.

For what it's worth I own thirteen of these titles and be it an analog or digital source not one of them sounds like its more than a generation or two from the master tape. I think the conclusion that all of the Pure Pleasure Strata East reissues were mastered from needle drops is a baseless rumor predicated on something misinterpreted from what was heard or misread on the internet, not from fact. The proof is in the listening.

I’d never have guessed, actually: it sounds very clean and dynamic to me (first side and a half anyway, my listening is was rudely interrupted). I’m listening with a more basic TT and cart than usual and there are flaws I may be missing as a result. I’ll have a more critical listen when I get the chance.

I'm doubting myself now! Is Rouse himself a bit blunted? Percussion a bit recessed? I can only really say with confidence that the imaging is excellent and it sounds anything but flat and lifeless.

For what it's worth I own thirteen of these titles and be it an analog or digital source not one of them sounds like its more than a generation or two from the master tape. I think the conclusion that all of the Pure Pleasure Strata East reissues were mastered from needle drops is a baseless rumor predicated on something misinterpreted from what was heard or misread on the internet, not from fact. The proof is in the listening.
Any particular favourites?

Except the press release on Bandcamp for this release, New Life Trio, states mastered from vinyl.

Check the facts for yourself:

Its interesting that New Life Trio is sourced from vinyl but I'm concerned with the Pure Pleasure Strata East vinyl reissues you've bandied about.

Just to be clear my comment about being mastered from vinyl was not regarding the Charlie Rouse reissue, only the New Life Trio. I think you may have thought my comments were regarding the Rouse reissue, but they weren’t.

But please feel free to enlighten us with more of your experiences with SE reissues you’d recommend, I look forward to it.

I’m considering a few more Tolliver titles.

Jim - I’d agree with Hockman, Pure Pleasure Glass Bead Games also sounds like a needle drop to me. But excellent pressing and sleeve quality, and although the variable SQ is annoying, the music is powerful and engaging. Don’t expect Tone Poet quality.

The Cecil Payne is excellent, although I detect some grain esp in HF. This could either be worn tape, tape saturation or a well disguised needle drop. But it grooves when it has to.

And if I already haven’t said it, the Pure Pleasure reissues are great pressings (Pallas I believe) despite my doubts about master tape sources.

Just to be clear my comment about being mastered from vinyl was not regarding the Charlie Rouse reissue, only the New Life Trio. I think you may have thought my comments were regarding the Rouse reissue, but they weren’t.

But please feel free to enlighten us with more of your experiences with SE reissues you’d recommend, I look forward to it.

Just relating to your past comments regarding the issue though I am in agreement with many of the positive comments you've made about them and I hope you enjoy them as much as I have.

Ah, my mistake, don't know why I thought you meant the Rouse.

The New Life Trio is just OK in terms of SQ, a little flat and there is some surface noise. The music still comes through for me and I'd buy it again.

The New Life Trio is just OK in terms of SQ, a little flat and there is some surface noise. The music still comes through for me and I'd buy it again.

Looks as though it’s already selling out in some places. You’re probably lucky to have secured a copy.

For those with deep pockets two original Strata East on Jazz House email list yesterday:

Cecil Payne - Zodiac - still sealed £100
Charlie Rouse - Two is One £120

Probably gone by now.

advertisement

Back