advertisement

Strange Happening

My first thought too.

OP also has two REM CDs for "reasons he can't explain..."

MV5BMzM1YTZlYmUtMzNjMC00MTY2LWIzMTctMmRjZWM5NzNkYzkwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTA4NzExMDg@._V1_.jpg
🤣🤣Poor choice of words on my part. What I tried to say was that I can’t explain why I’ve got two copies. I certainly didn’t consciously buy two so clearly something mysterious has occurred 😊

If your old CD player was able to read said CDs I'd send the Roksan back. Or at least contact the manufacturer. You won't get any meaningful help here.
To be honest I can’t remember the last time I played the CDs in question, so I can’t be sure that they were OK on the Arcam in recent times. I’ll take them to my son’s place and try them out on his player.

Are they Red Book CDs? At some time some were manufactured to something close to, but not actually, Red Book standards (I think they added some sort of watermarking/copy protection). Not all players liked them. If they’re proper Red Book they’ll have the official CD logo, otherwise they’ll look and mostly might play as regular CDs, but not always.

Are they Red Book CDs? At some time some were manufactured to something close to, but not actually, Red Book standards (I think they added some sort of watermarking/copy protection). Not all players liked them. If they’re proper Red Book they’ll have the official CD logo, otherwise they’ll look and mostly might play as regular CDs, but not always.
They both look pretty genuine to me. On closer inspection one appears more ‘looked after’ than the other so I’m thinking I’ve somehow acquired my elder son’s copy which probably dates back to his time at university 😉

🤣🤣Poor choice of words on my part. What I tried to say was that I can’t explain why I’ve got two copies. I certainly didn’t consciously buy two so clearly something mysterious has occurred 😊
They have clearly been planted by the security services. You have played them both, and the stuttering was when the surveillance software was transferred off the disk. Your hifi system is now listening to you.

They both look pretty genuine to me. On closer inspection one appears more ‘looked after’ than the other so I’m thinking I’ve somehow acquired my elder son’s copy which probably dates back to his time at university 😉
This being pfm, I think we should consider the possibility that this is a rare manifestation of the quatum superposition principle, allowing the same CD to be in two places at the same time.

Do they look "golden" or slightly unnatural in colour. I've had two or three CDs that aged/oxidised in some way and became unplayable. They all appeared discoloured.

I had this happen with a used CD I just bought. It's one of those dreaded 'PDO' pressed disks that had golden bronzing on the label side. The playing side looked normal and fine. But it skips. I can't see any flaw or holes or anything wrong with the playing side.

I saw that episode of Dr Who.

I reckon the current crop of CD players are a lot less reliable than those of 10 years ago plus. There's definitely something fishy in there......

Just to update, the REM CD’s played perfectly on my son’s player but continue to skip on mine. Having played roughly 30 other CD’s without problem, the new Beatles Blue CD, received at Christmas, is skipping. Richer Sounds, who I have to say I’m very impressed with, have agreed to pick up and replace the Roksan. Hopefully the problem is resolved 🤞

Don't mess about... just rip it and enjoy the content via SSD (or whatever). CDs are so yesterday...

I bet dBpoweramp, given time for re-reads if necessary, will succeed in making a clean rip.

advertisement

Back