advertisement

Strange Happening

Dodeth

pfm Member
I recently took delivery of a new Roksan CDi to replace my Arcam CD192 which has given up the ghost. I’ve not had time to play many CDs, but those I have played have sounded pretty good indeed. However, something happened tonight which seems rather strange, and I’m wondering whether anyone has ever experienced something similar. For reasons I can’t explain I have two copies of Out Of Time by REM. So I play one of these and, two tracks in, it starts to skip. Thinking it must just be a damaged CD I eject it and play the second one. By track three it too is skipping. So I’m obviously thinking that it must be a fault with my new player but, just to be sure, I then play several more CDs, all of which played faultlessly. Anyone think of a reason why?

So I play one of these and, two tracks in, it starts to skip. Thinking it must just be a damaged CD I eject it and play the second one. By track three it too is skipping.

Cd’s can and do deteriorate over time, perhaps it’s a batch of the cd that were made from the manufacturer at the same time.

Or it’s aliens, one of the two for sure ;)

When I buy a game from CEX and it's got scratches they stick it in a machine with pretty miraculous results. Where can you buy these and why aren't they more popular like RCMs for vinyl?

I just saw this which could be useful for those important albums

I also might have found my Christmas present.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I have some early 90's CDs which are very thin and could be a problem even on top loading Naim players. Try some painter's tape around the label where the top clamp of the Roksan makes contact with the disc.

Or it’s aliens
My first thought too.

OP also has two REM CDs for "reasons he can't explain..."

MV5BMzM1YTZlYmUtMzNjMC00MTY2LWIzMTctMmRjZWM5NzNkYzkwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTA4NzExMDg@._V1_.jpg

When I buy a game from CEX and it's got scratches they stick it in a machine with pretty miraculous results. Where can you buy these and why aren't they more popular like RCMs for vinyl?
There's a bunch of CD polishers and repair kits on Amazon:

There was a thread a while back. I recall @Tony L stating they reduce the value of collectable CDs - though I'm guessing a badly scratched and skipping CD doesn't have much value either.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I recently took delivery of a new Roksan CDi to replace my Arcam CD192 which has given up the ghost. I’ve not had time to play many CDs, but those I have played have sounded pretty good indeed. However, something happened tonight which seems rather strange, and I’m wondering whether anyone has ever experienced something similar. For reasons I can’t explain I have two copies of Out Of Time by REM. So I play one of these and, two tracks in, it starts to skip. Thinking it must just be a damaged CD I eject it and play the second one. By track three it too is skipping. So I’m obviously thinking that it must be a fault with my new player but, just to be sure, I then play several more CDs, all of which played faultlessly. Anyone think of a reason why?

If your old CD player was able to read said CDs I'd send the Roksan back. Or at least contact the manufacturer. You won't get any meaningful help here.

I have three CDs, out of several thousand, that have developed problems, one failed when it was still quite new, both the others are 20+ years old. I have tried cleaning and polishing but to no avail. When you inspect them it is obvious that they have developed a cloudy appearance within the disc itself, it seems unlikely that any repair is possible.

Well they are a seedy* lot aren't they?

* sordid, disreputable, seamy, sleazy, corrupt, shameful, low, dark, squalid, unwholesome, unsavoury, rough, mean, nasty, unpleasant
No different to any other of the self serving shysters who hang about that cesspool they call parliament. They're all as bad as each other, when it comes to election time you just choosing who you perceive to be the least worst.

advertisement

Back