advertisement

Storm Ciara

I assumed it was the female version of Ciaran, which would have meant a hard ‘c’. I think.
Atlantic storms are named by the Irish Weather Service, Ciara is a popular Irish name apparently

Thanks; I'd made a mistake on the hard 'c' (corrected) and didn't know the Irish were in the vanguard for naming storms, Herb; interesting !

Reminds me of the old one about a local Irish paper shop which blew away.:)

Some homes have been flooded out in Ramsbottom and Bury. It stopped for a while this afternoon but is raining again now.
Don't really need an excuse to link to this. "Rained real hard and it rained for a real long time" and the best string orchestra arrangement ever.

Planes know where they’re landing ahead of schedule so stock up on extra fuel if bad weather at the destination is expected to allow for diversions.. surely?

It’s been wet but not bad here at all??!!

This morning I had a plastic green house.

Weighed down with bricks.

Now I just have the bricks

There is a full scale search underway for a missing surfer at Hastings. FFS, there were amber warnings in place for Hastings from yesterday ... what sort of imbecile goes surfing with these weather conditions forecast... now others are having to put themselves in danger because of this person's selfishness and stupidity!
Indeed. According to our local BBC news - I live in Hastings - he was rescued from Rye Bay, about six miles down the coast. HMCG shore based rescue teams from Rye Bay and Bexhill, plus an HMCG helicopter and Hastings RNLI lifeboat were involved. Utter bloody madness!

Indeed. According to our local BBC news - I live in Hastings - he was rescued from Rye Bay, about six miles down the coast. HMCG shore based rescue teams from Rye Bay and Bexhill, plus an HMCG helicopter and Hastings RNLI lifeboat were involved. Utter bloody madness!

Darwin was in evidence on many coastlines. The news reporters among them, in case we can't imagine what a storm looks like.

Thanks; I'd made a mistake on the hard 'c' (corrected) and didn't know the Irish were in the vanguard for naming storms, Herb; interesting !
The storms are jointly named by the Met Office (UK), Met Éireann (Ireland) and KNMI (Netherlands) who together run the forecasting and modelling for North Atlantic storms.

The "see-ra" pronunciation may be due to a US R&B artist who calls herself "see-a-ra", but spells it "Ciara". The hard-C ("keer-a") is the only one used in Ireland, though. (The name is completely unrelated to the similar-sounding Italian Chiara, btw -the Italian means "bright" and the Irish one "dark")

The next one will be named Dennis, and the full list is in this article. https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/about-...limate/2019/storm-names-for-2019-20-announced

Some homes have been flooded out in Ramsbottom and Bury. It stopped for a while this afternoon but is raining again now.
Don't really need an excuse to link to this. "Rained real hard and it rained for a real long time" and the best string orchestra arrangement ever.
Multiple likes.

I find it ironic that so much thought and organisation goes into giving these storms individual names, but the end result is that when they hit, they're called all the names under the sun.

I live on the top of a hill.

We've lost some roof tiles (unfortunate) and satellite reception (fortunate).

Syphilis would be an interesting name for a storm.

Midlands Today pronounced it Keira, but then they're so crap it's hardly a surprise
As others have said, Ciara is the female version of the Irish name Ciaran, pron. Kiera/Kieran. I didn't know it meant "dark" , that's interesting. Chiara is as others have said "light" , like the French Claire. Clair in French is "Clear" which gives the French word "éclairé" meaning "lit up".

Early Sun afternoon I spotted a plane low and slow over here heading in the general direction of Liverpool. Quick check on Flightradar24 showed it was a Stockholm to Stanstead Ryanair flight, which had headed close to Stanstead... turned North West and circled Birmingham a few times before landing at Liverpool. what I imagine those waiting for people on the flight would have been more worried about is that the flight didn't seem to appear on the Arrivals boards at either Stansted.. as 'Diverted', or at Liverpool as... 'arrived'.

The storms are jointly named by the Met Office (UK), Met Éireann (Ireland) and KNMI (Netherlands) who together run the forecasting and modelling for North Atlantic storms.

The "see-ra" pronunciation may be due to a US R&B artist who calls herself "see-a-ra", but spells it "Ciara". The hard-C ("keer-a") is the only one used in Ireland, though. (The name is completely unrelated to the similar-sounding Italian Chiara, btw -the Italian means "bright" and the Irish one "dark")

The next one will be named Dennis, and the full list is in this article. https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/about-...limate/2019/storm-names-for-2019-20-announced

They are calling it Sabine here in Switzerland.

advertisement

Back