advertisement

Storm Ciara

This was the scene at Marchbanks Towers a few moments ago. We have been touched by the messages of concern and support and we are determined to rebuild, beginning as soon as possible.

49510212751_612fbcf224_c.jpg
Thoughts and prayers...

Since sitting in bed through the hurricane, windy weather has worried me.
It is dropping VERY slightly here, but the wind is forecast to be strong for over 48 hours in total, down to half strength by late this pm.

Interesting ly, it was the 9 Feb last year when I woke up to find a capping stone off the roof and a shed roof with extra ventilation and improved light transmission. The roofs OK this time and the shed looks peachy.

COBRA has just had an emergency meeting and pledged to send £25 and a squad of failed TV presenters who think they know a bit about gardening to its beleaguered friends over at Marchbanks Towers.

But why do we have to have these bloody stupid names. A storm is a storm, surely.
They identify them so they can track them and warn those likely to be affected. As for names, they start in January with "A" and then b, c, d. Boy girl boy. No repeats if possible, to the next will be David, Derek, Dimitry, Donald, Dick or similar.

COBRA has just had an emergency meeting and pledged to send £25 and a squad of failed TV presenters who think they know a bit about gardening to its beleaguered friends over at Marchbanks Towers.
Good work, that's the first 3 shows done. Tearful interviews to show the devastation and human impact, the experts go shopping and book the contractors, the work gets done and the reveal, more tears and "it's just what we've always wanted, we could never have done it without you!"

A touch breezy here in the Grand Duchy. We do tend to cop it as there's not much between us and Liverpool Bay, so we are the first high ground that the weather hits. Over the years most people have lost ridge tiles, aerials and other bits and pieces. We've also had two chimneys blown down in our little cul de sac alone.

In my neighbour's case the chimney came off, half smashed through the main roof then the rest fell onto the canopy roof below smashing that up before proceeding to fall onto the bonnet of his car below. That was Christmas Eve some years back. Next door to him, another neighbour gained a metal garage roof, which landed in her garden after leaving its appointed place three gardens away.

Fortunately, over the years, most of us have had ridge tiles 're-bedded' and clips or dry verge installed on eaves. Some have also had chimneys re-pointed, or shortened a bit with a longer 'pot' etc. I'm keeping an eye on mine. Anything not nailed down blew away years ago....

This time, so far, so good, I see no real damage anywhere.. but tomorrow will be a different matter I fear.. Forecast to still be windy and it's 'bin day'.. There will be black boxes, brown wheelie bins, blue waste paper bags and pink plastic waste bags everywhere...
Oh!! .. the Horror!!!

They identify them so they can track them and warn those likely to be affected. As for names, they start in January with "A" and then b, c, d. Boy girl boy. No repeats if possible, to the next will be David, Derek, Dimitry, Donald, Dick or similar.

they are already chosen.
Next one is a Dennis.

It seemed to work well enough when we just referred to whatever grade of storm it was. Could it be that a junior minister in whatever department looks after the weather went on holiday to America and decided to copy their system?

Here at 25036 towers our heavy duty barbecue covers are attached to the fence behind by paracord and have 24 kg of iron weights strapped to the front. All were on the floor this morning with bits of the cord shredded. More alarming, we just watched our six seat teak table and cover ‘walk’ about half a metre across the patio. It’s a tad breezy in the midlands!

It seemed to work well enough when we just referred to whatever grade of storm it was. Could it be that a junior minister in whatever department looks after the weather went on holiday to America and decided to copy their system?
If he did, I can't get too excited. Name it Ciara, or call it "the storm that left Greenland on Thursday, crossed Iceland on Friday, due here Saturday night" , it's not a big deal. Ciara is easy shorthand.

A bit hairy here! Had to dodge a one tonne builders bag blowing across the road on my way to the shops.

Full or empty?

It's a bit draughty here in Norwich and the high-roosting pigeons are conspicuous by their absence. As I write, precipitation had been added to the mix. I find the resilience of trees, esp. tall one, quite amazing. I noted that my aged pussycat did his business outside with a stopwatch this morning; he almost caught the cat-flap on the rebound on his way back.

There is a full scale search underway for a missing surfer at Hastings. FFS, there were amber warnings in place for Hastings from yesterday ... what sort of imbecile goes surfing with these weather conditions forecast... now others are having to put themselves in danger because of this person's selfishness and stupidity!

Mike Reed lives the wrong side of Norwich, Palm trees are gently swaying and the piles of leaves in the garden are staying put without problems.

Assume things are worse in the North, soft northerner's?

Keep safe where ever you are.

advertisement

Back