advertisement

Stock Market 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looked at my main pension pot today, at a record high (along with most others I suspect). It all feels very, very wrong to me. Tempted to switch it to cash.
Cash is a terrible place to be if they are printing money and you get hyperinflation.
Boring but safe shares should follow the actual value

Cash is a terrible place to be if they are printing money and you get hyperinflation.
Boring but safe shares should follow the actual value

In the long term, of course. When C19 hit, markets were at record highs and creaking after a huge bull run. We’ve had (UK) a year of lockdowns and bail outs. The UK govt is still paying the wages of over 11M people. Many of those jobs won’t return. The US are giving away printed money, much of which is ending up in the markets. New variants which evade current vaccines are almost inevitable. It’s all far from over, you could say it’s only just starting, yet here we are at new record highs, with record uncertainty IMHO. It’s a totally false market. Same with property. I was reading an article saying the market in NZ has gone nuts. I don’t believe there are population pressures there? Global Ponzi schemes effectively in which you are pretty much forced to participate. When she blows, what will they do? Print to infinity Zim style?

^^^ NZ property has just been learning from the experts...Australia. Total shit show coming there one day. I feel sorry for the young ones tricked into buying there the last few years. Do they really think interest rates will be at this level for the term of their mortgage?

What trading platforms are people here using? I'm having a few issues with mine and was wondering whether they are any good alternatives out there.

What trading platforms are people here using? I'm having a few issues with mine and was wondering whether they are any good alternatives out there.

iWeb. It feels like interface is 20 years old but it's cheap and it works. It gets a bit 'lost' when the markets are in mini meltdown/up but most seem to do that!

Looked at my main pension pot today, at a record high (along with most others I suspect). It all feels very, very wrong to me. Tempted to switch it to cash.

Just checked - up 23% year-on-year for an ISA of vanilla tracker funds! Crazy.

Long term I plan around an assumed 3% return in real terms. Agree that a hefty correction must be on the cards fairly soon - I guess the question is how hefty.

My suspicion is that the markets have already priced in about 30% inflation before it happens.
The consequential interest rate rises will be painful

Regarding platforms, I use Hargreaves lansdown
Not the cheapest, but not expensive either. Costs me 0.45% capped at £200 a year maximum.

Regarding platforms, I use Hargreaves lansdown
Not the cheapest, but not expensive either. Costs me 0.45% capped at £200 a year maximum.

Thanks, that's my current platform. In addition to their relatively high cost structure, HL's IT/data management is increasing prone to error at least on my account, and they seem no closer to resolving any of the issues.

My
Just checked - up 23% year-on-year for an ISA of vanilla tracker funds! Crazy.

Long term I plan around an assumed 3% return in real terms. Agree that a hefty correction must be on the cards fairly soon - I guess the question is how hefty.

Mine’s up 41.6% last 12 month, 64.4% last 5 years, I’ll settle for that :).
(A correction doesn’t worry me......(too much)).

(I recall me passing on my thought regarding Bitcoin’s, was something along the lines of “load of bollocks” :D).
It might end up that way but it seems to be here to stay now some of the finance bods are buying in, have a feeling the test will be a good while post COVID, maybe there will be a feeding frenzy taking profits and it will crash. China is so invested in mining this stuff I can’t see Zero happening. I have a method that seems to work OK but doesn’t turn it into pure gambling just partially :) Risky starting now though, when it was a couple grand yeah but it’s over 40 now.

It might end up that way but it seems to be here to stay now some of the finance bods are buying in, have a feeling the test will be a good while post COVID, maybe there will be a feeding frenzy taking profits and it will crash. China is so invested in mining this stuff I can’t see Zero happening. I have a method that seems to work OK but doesn’t turn it into pure gambling just partially :) Risky starting now though, when it was a couple grand yeah but it’s over 40 now.

I wish you well Gus with it (and anyone else having a go), it’s just not for me, I’m too risk averse, bit of a scaredy-cat :oops:.

I wish you well Gus with it (and anyone else having a go), it’s just not for me, I’m too risk averse, bit of a scaredy-cat :oops:.
Certainly a learning curve trading on the exchanges and working fiat to crypto, used to be hard work getting UK £ to $ or € and onto a Chinese or Estonian outfits platform. Made a few mistakes along the way, thing was losing 20 LTC when they were a few quid each no biggie, now they are £150 each it would be a different story. Most of my gains have been made trading ETC.

Thanks, that's my current platform. In addition to their relatively high cost structure, HL's IT/data management is increasing prone to error at least on my account, and they seem no closer to resolving any of the issues.
A J Bell charge 0 1% for my portfolio, which works out more expensive than HL which is capped at £200 p.a..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back