advertisement

Stirling Broadcast LS3/5a V3 Review.

I've owned both V2's & V3's in the past. Enjoyed both immensely. If forced to choose between the two I think I would take the V2's & pocket the change. The V3's offer a little more insight & resolution but the V2's are already among the best speakers you can buy in that regard. The trade off to my ears was the V3's lost a little of the warmth of the V2's.
I'm currently listening to my home built LS3/5A clones. They sound as good as any LS3/5A type speakers I've ever heard. The truth is these speakers all sound very much alike (as they should) so any small differences will be very much down to personal preference.

TS

The V3's offer a little more insight & resolution but the V2's are already among the best speakers you can buy in that regard
I've had both too, and I thought the V3s took it up a significant notch towards Kan II attributes: Speed and upper mid clarity resulting in a thrust to the music. Any party to my listening session this afternoon would have had a challenging time to tell the Kans from the V3s.

I always considered the Kans and the LS3/5As were at totally opposite ends of the spectrum.
It's an oft-quoted 'fact'. I have always experienced Kans, whether I or IIs to be in the same realm as the ls3/5a. It's reasonable: Same size box, drivers more similar than different. As far as my experience goes, the major differences are in the crossover designs which necessitate a different wall-loading relationship for each design.

I had the pleasure of visiting Stirling Broadcast this week, and came away with a pair of LS3/5a V3s to try. I have them set up in my study in a very temporary manner with kit borrowed from my main system, and they sound great. Does anyone have recommendations for stands?

53548949348_c0bcaf85da_b.jpg
The Partington Super Dreadnought stands used to (35+ years ago) be a highly regarded stand, and Doug still recommends them - and they are quite reasonably priced for a high performance stand.

The Partington Super Dreadnought stands used to (35+ years ago) be a highly regarded stand, and Doug still recommends them - and they are quite reasonably priced for a high performance stand.
The state of the art is the IfDesigns Tallis then Foundation Designer II, both of which are only rarely available second hand and usually £400-700. After that, it’s a mixture of cheaper Partington, Linn Kan stands, Heybrook HB1 and Something Solid. The Spendor SA1 stands might be good if they can be found s/h.

Any party to my listening session this afternoon would have had a challenging time to tell the Kans from the V3s.

Did the listening sessions involve listening to a solo piano.

In my own experience the LS3/5a V3s manage to sound like a piano. The Kans fail miserably.

In my own experience the LS3/5a V3s manage to sound like a piano. The Kans fail miserably.

Well, I looked for a decent sounding, more recent recording of piano in my collection, and found Todd Gustavsen's "IGN" from 2003 on the ECM label. It has a lot of lively playing and a wide range of pitches, and seems to retain a lot of musical information in the recording.

There's no doubt that the Stirling V3s produced more of the components of the sound of a piano: particularly sustain and timbral colour,.
The Kans were drier, with less sustain and tonally less realistic. However, I'm running both sets of speakers with the same sub and overall, the presentation is similar, with the Kans creating better sound staging and instrumental location.

I tried a few other piano recordings. I preferred Bill Evans on the Kans. These were older recordings from 1961 and I felt more excited by, and drawn into the music on the Kans. In this case, the piano sounded more similar on both speakers. The Kans pushed the music's leading edges in a way that I liked.

But, I can appreciate why a piano-lover would choose the V3s.

Have heard Kan Mk1 sound pretty darn lifelike in the past- especially guitars etc- this was in a very well set up mid 90's and mid level Linn/Naim system ( Mana and a good acoustically sounding room)- a very involving sound. :)

After that, it’s a mixture of cheaper Partington
When I got my dreadnoughts in the late 80’s the commentary had them rate about the same as the designers, I think it was probably Ken Kessler making that commentary. Hence I bought some dreadnoughts.

However I also bought a Nakamichi DVD player as KK said that it was a good CD player, but it sounded sh1t 🤣

I had some Tallis stands but sold them, preferred my Slate Audio stands for looks 😄

Probably a better test for accuracy would be to record a relative and play them back on the speakers and see which one was more correct - I am guessing that it would be the V3.

Alan Shaw of Harbeth is supposed to use his daughters voice like this.

When I got my dreadnoughts in the late 80’s the commentary had them rate about the same as the designers, I think it was probably Ken Kessler making that commentary. Hence I bought some dreadnoughts.

However I also bought a Nakamichi DVD player as KK said that it was a good CD player, but it sounded sh1t 🤣

I had some Tallis stands but sold them, preferred my Slate Audio stands for looks 😄
I had the Super Dreadnought. They’re good though the ‘speakers I used with them were less sensitive to stands. The LS3/5a are very sensitive to stands. I have the Tallis in solid rosewood (they probably only made a handful) and will probably never sell them because if I do, I will never manage to get another pair. It’s probably true of your Slate stands too that they very rarely come up for sale.

KK is variable, I like his writing though.

Has anyone else noticed the price Stirling are asking for V3's on ebay? I'm sure I read on here somewhere that they'd be offered at a tempting price, but it looks like £1k more than they were previously!

Jeepers these are even more:

Update: the price of the second pair has dropped by about £3k so now they are an attractive price! Or were, as they seem to have been pulled. It's all very confusing :-D

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
It appears the Stirling and Falcon LS3/5As are not generally available any longer (at least in the USA). Supply and demand, when you can't get them, the price skyrockets!

Yeah I gather Doug Stirling is in the process of retiring so may be trying to get the most value out of his remaining stock and I wish him good luck with it, though it could be a slow process at those prices.

Hi,

I'm managing the Stirling Broadcast sales - so here's an explaination !

Before I start I'll just say that I received a pair of V3s and AB-2s for updating their website, but I did spend several hundred on software to do it, plus time spent on it. I'm getting nothing for all the work I've done on getting stuff retested and ready for sale (11 days at the workshop so far, when I sleep over it's on the kitchen floor in my sleeping bag) and I've driven over 800 miles so far visiting the workshop. I am doing all the main work on this, his neighbour Steve will probably help with or do the listings and dipatches later once things are running more smoothly.

My incentive has to be to help Doug as he is having health issues, and to get those V3s sold, and the AB-2s where possible as I think the combination is extremely good. I originally visited to pick up some records I had lent Doug years ago, and to get his help repairing some LS3/5as I have, but those repairs are on hold with all this other stuff going on. I'm not getting any commission on sales either.

So if you look at the updated website at www.stirlingbroadcast.com and the sales page you will see the actual prices Doug is asking for the V3s, and V2s, and the other speakers.

Namely :

LS3/6 : £2625 ex-VAT, £3150 inclusive of VAT*
SB88 : £1916.66 ex-VAT, £2300 inclusive of VAT*
LS3/5a V3 : £1208.33 ex-VAT, £1450 inclusive of VAT*
LS3/5a V2 : £916.66 ex-VAT, £1100 inclusive of VAT*
AB-2 : £583.33 ex-VAT, £700 inclusive of VAT*

So the V3s are at £1208.33 without any UK VAT, which is a pretty big reduction from what they were priced at, and about £412 ex-VAT cheaper than the Chartwell LS3/5a from Graham Audio.

My reasoning at picking that price point was that the V2 is now priced at £704.17 ex-VAT less than the Graham Audio LS3/5a and I've seen several comments comparing the two and preferring the V2.

The crossover upgrade from the V2 to the V3 is pretty substantial (1.2Kg in weight increase per speaker) and is only a little less than the price difference between the V2 and V3. The combination of V3 and AB-2 at the new prices is about the same as the Graham LS3/5a.

We've got just over 40 pairs of V3s in stock, and about 145 pairs of V2s which I am hoping to convert to V3s for sale if the current V3s sell well. We could also sell an upgrade kit for V2s already sold. For either of those we would have to buy some more crossovers though.

What's happening with ebay at the moment is that I am servicing sales enquiries that we have had to the website, which, unless they are in the UK, we sell only through eBay so we can use their global sales program, as it is a lot less hassle to manage than using the normal couriers, although I am starting to rethink that a bit because of issues with UK VAT.

So I am creating listings for the speakers that people have requested, but pricing them very high so that nobody else presses the Buy It Now button. The multiples are 3-6 times the correct price, and the person who wants to buy then send me an offer at the corrected price, which I accept and the sale goes through. Taxes and shipping on the auction page are listed as too high, but when the person makes the lower offer, the correct figures are shown.

For normal sales, where there is no requesting buyer via the website, I will be listing at the prices shown on the website, and above.

I am also having a problem with UK VAT on listings.

In theory I specify the VAT rate on my auction and when the items are listed in the EU eBay will adjust the amount to remove the UK VAT and apply the correct tax for that country, which it collects. I have yet to be able to get this to work, and so I have been creating more highly priced listings and viewing other ebay sites through VPNs in order to try and figure it out. Talking to ebay support hasn't helped so far.

But even if I get that to work then sales to countries outside the EU, like the US, will still have the UK VAT on, which is not correct. As I don't want to have two listings for each item, one with VAT on and one not, I think I will have to leave the VAT on and then instruct buyers from outside the EU to submit an offer for the amount divided by 1.2 to correct for tax (and correct the shipping/local taxes).

There's also a thing called eBayMag for listing on multiple sites, but that also looks too complicated and I am also not sure if we can use the global shipping program with it.

Note that I am testing each pair of speakers using Omnimic V2 before sale, in order to reduce the likelyhood of problems found after shipping.

The warranty period has been reduced from 5 years to 1 to avoid the need to keep Stirling Broadcast running for 5 years after the final sale.

However I didn't want to restart sales unless there was a good stock of spare drivers and crossovers in stock ready to service any warranty claims or service requests outside of the warranty period.

This is the case, there are quite a few trays of the high frequency drivers and several dozen of the SEAS bass drivers available, either on the shelf or built into baffles that can't be sold as there are no more LS3/5a cabinets in stock. Recent LS3/5as have used a different bass unit, and crossover to match, and there are even more of these in stock. I've not taken an inventory, but I will do.

This is also the case for the SB-88 and LS3/6 loudspeakers and spare parts/drivers. For these speakers there are also several cabinets waiting to be built up. We are short on LS3/6 grills but I think I have found somewhere that will make some.

So the only issue going forward is what happens if Stirling Broadcast closes down and the factory is sold. In this case we will make sure that these drivers/parts are put into storage somewhere so service requests can be dealt with for the duration that there are spare parts.

If I have to take over this part then I might end up with some financial interest in it, and also if the plan to convert V2 to V3s is executed as that will be laborious.

advertisement

Back