advertisement

Stirling Broadcast LS3/5a V3 Review.

I use 11 ohm LS3/5as nearfield with a 2 watt PCL86 amp on occasion, and it sounds great at the volumes I listen at. I now have a single ended amp that puts out 8 watts in ultralinear mode and 4 watts in triode mode and for me that is a perfect match, all the control I need, sounds amazing. A Stereo 20 would be a great match at the levels LS3/5as are designed for. Sensitivity is as much about the overall impedance as it is about dB at 1m.

I’ve got either a Leak Stereo 20 or a pair of TL12 Plus (usually the latter) driving Falcon LS3/5As or JR149s and it works well at the volumes I need. I have tried measuring volts/Watts and I’m never driving the amps close to clipping, but I am working them fairly hard. This in a mainly nearfield environment. In a larger room I think I’d prefer a pair of EL34s which would have tons of available headroom.

49138828776_0857108792_b.jpg

I’ve got either a Leak Stereo 20 or a pair of TL12 Plus (usually the latter) driving Falcon LS3/5As or JR149s and it works well at the volumes I need. I have tried measuring volts/Watts and I’m never driving the amps close to clipping, but I am working them fairly hard. This in a mainly nearfield environment. In a larger room I think I’d prefer a pair of EL34s which would have tons of available headroom.

49138828776_0857108792_b.jpg
Thanks Tony. Roughly what sized room and to what volume level do you usually listen?

As said, I don't have headbanger listening, but occasionally do like to turn the wick up a bit if the neighbours are out. Was worried it would be quiet or the Leak would clip and distort if pushed too hard.
Thanks,

Roughly what sized room and to what volume level do you usually listen?

The room is a typical terrace bedroom, about 4.5m or so longest dimension I guess. Listening level is very hard to quantify as whilst it is typically pretty quiet at around 75-78db C weighted transients on a really good dynamic CD (this system is CD/SACD-only) can be anything up to 15db above that. What I was trying to establish is whether I was hitting the Leaks full 10 Watts even for a microsecond on the initial stick-hit of a drum, cymbal etc on really well recorded jazz. My tests were inconclusive, but I suspect I was hitting around 8 Watts at times even though the median was well under 1 Watt. Valve amps clip gently compared to solid state so 10 Leak Watts certainly sounds like a good 50 Watt solid state amp, but I do think there is a point I start to hear a little compression. That said the 30 Watt Pass class A amp sounded no more powerful than the Leaks. I don’t know, but given the choice I think I’d go with EL34s with LS3/5As. They’d have unlimited headroom as far as these speakers are concerned as they obviously don’t go loud anyway.

PS The 149s work the best, they are just that little more efficient, the LS35/As next, and finally the Spendor S3/5R which are really too much for the Leaks as they don’t have the nice easy 8-15 Ohm load. They’d be great with EL34s though. The point I’m making is yes, it works, and yes, it sounds superb, but I think the Leaks end up doing a lot more work than they do typically in say a larger Tannoy or Klipsch type system.

Just bought a Marantz HD AMP 1 for desktop nearfield listening on my 11 ohm Stirling LS3/5a V2's. It's Class D and puts out about 25w I think into 11 ohms.

Hope it works !

There is the possibility that I might be selling my ‘unicorn rare” Arthur Radford built custom mono blocks (a one off build not too dissimilar to the original Mullard/Beam Echo designs) with their passive pre. I had harboured thoughts of getting some Ls3/5a’s myself but i’ll save that adventure for a few years down the road. This is all dependent on the amp I’m supposed to be collecting tomorrow, will keep you folks posted as I’ve always imagined running Ls3/5a’s off them.

Do report back.:)

So, a quick update on the Marantz HD AMP 1 into Stirling v2's for desktop listening. I rate them as EXCELLENT. They replaced a Primare i35 (non DAC version, 150 wpc, expensive amp) which i thought was overkill for this system, and i wanted a shoebox size amp. The Primare is recommended by Falcon as a good match for their LS3/5a's, is used by them in hi fi shows, and is also a great match for the V2's.

The Primare edges it on soundstage and detail, but the Marantz isn't far behind and then fights back with a darker midrange. Not much between them in absolute terms. If you can still get the Marantz HD AMP 1 which has now been discontinued then it's a stonking bargain compared with the Primare in a desktop environment.

This was all using an RME ADI 2 DAC, which is better than the internal DAC on the Marantz.

This post is Stirling V2 related of course, and my new V3's are doing 'Stirling' work in my main system.

Ps My old V3's in Rosewood are STILL for sale if anyone's interetsed.

I’m very surprised no-one has bought your V3s.
Fantastic speakers...

Yes I'm trying low profile marketing for a while, before a 'relaunch', although I've just put them back on ebay. I might try the V3's in my desktop system, and if i like them then I suppose I could sell the V2's instead.

I had the pleasure of visiting Stirling Broadcast this week, and came away with a pair of LS3/5a V3s to try. I have them set up in my study in a very temporary manner with kit borrowed from my main system, and they sound great. Does anyone have recommendations for stands?

53548949348_c0bcaf85da_b.jpg

I used HiFi Racks ‘Duet’ wooden stands for my V3s.
I’ve still got the stands, but not the V3s.
Sold to finance a project.
I still miss those amazing speakers.
Perhaps I’ll see if I can find a pair...

I had the pleasure of visiting Stirling Broadcast this week, and came away with a pair of LS3/5a V3s to try. I have them set up in my study in a very temporary manner with kit borrowed from my main system, and they sound great. Does anyone have recommendations for stands?

53548949348_c0bcaf85da_b.jpg
That’s how my speakers (either Spendor LS3/5a 11R or wee JPWs) are set up, except on a sideboard. I don’t have room any other way. I get excellent results with three small plastic bumpers under each speaker. Near field listening is fantastic. 🎶

Well, your comments are helpful. I don't remember any significant 'break-in' when I purchased a new pair of V2s in the past.

I have to confess: I purchased a new pair of V3s. (online ordering from the UK is so easy and quick). I'm still in the early stages of listening, but I am once again struck by how detailed and nuanced the midband is. Timbral fidelity is also unparalleled in my experience. I think the original designers got that right in their research at the BBC. They have bass too! I treated my room since I last owned ls3/5a and the bass boom is no longer any kind of issue....I can place them pretty much anywhere. They are brighter than the V2s in an excellent and lively way. The changes to the bass response too, are very welcome. They can hold their own in my listening room. The bass is still modest but it is classy and convincing. Imaging is superb. I'm running them with a beefy ss amp and it seems like a good idea, with 83 dB sensitivity. But, the biggest surprise so far is that they can rock hard. They play all my music genres. That was not the case with the V2s, at least in my space. They have some of the dynamic tightness of the Linn Kan IIs I also possess. Rock music, Zeppelin, King Crimson not only work, they work well. I'm very pleased with the purchase, and thanks Martyn, for your previous comments and review, which led me here. Cheers.
Would you say the V3 is much better than Linn Kan IIs? I mean I assume probably yes they are but also the V3 is triple the cost.

Would you say the V3 is much better than Linn Kan IIs? I mean I assume probably yes they are but also the V3 is triple the cost.
If one defines 'better' in technical terms, then yes. Clearly the V3s are the better transducer. In terms of musical enjoyment though, they are on a par with each other. I sometimes feel that if forced to flee my house, I would have a Kan under each arm rather than any other speaker!

advertisement

Back