advertisement

Steve Jobs stereo system 1982

klyne-11.jpg

someone said it was the forerunner to this unit.
although someone else said it was a threshfet pre.....so who knows.

I think the record is Bach's Brandenburg Concertos, with Jean-Pierre Rampal on flute and Maurice André on trumpet.

51ZkvfWy68L.jpg

Joe

Well spotted JP, but I suspect you cheated and used your 'Time-travelling Moderator' powers to pop back and sneak a peek...

Gotta love that Gramophone review...

Basil,

No time travel was involved. I happen to have that record.

The performance is a bit meh to be honest — or amazing, if the Brandenburg Concertos were supposed to sound romantic.

Joe

Those are obviously not the speakers that Jobs owned, maybe those are a later model. The model 3's I've seen were not active and were usually paired with Audio Research amplification.

The link I posted from the sales person who sold him the gear stated he had Threshold electronics.

Basil,

No time travel was involved. I happen to have that record.

The performance is a bit meh to be honest — or amazing, if the Brandenburg Concertos were supposed to sound romantic.

Joe

Not familiar with it, but seeing Maurice Andre’s name on the sleeve does sort of give it away, pretty sure the trumpet Andre uses hadn't been invented when the Brandenburgs were written...

It does look more like the Klyne than the Threshold pre, as the Threshold had knobs the same colour as the front panel, silver with silver. The Klyne had silver/chrome on black.

Basil,

Not familiar with it, but seeing Maurice Andre’s name on the sleeve does sort of give it away, pretty sure the trumpet Andre uses hadn't been invented when the Brandenburgs were written...
A sample, if you're interested...

Joe

Last edited by a moderator:
Yikes, that lp's seen better days, if only they could invent something that doesn't have pops and clicks like that... Oh wait, they did!

Hmmmmmmm lush...

I like Ben Brittens 60's recording with the ECO...

I like Maurice Andre; I have a fair amount of his stuff on EMI

Was he particularly large or is that a very small trumpet?

Last edited by a moderator:
well spotted, thanks. I thought someone who had it would recognise the general shape of the design on the sleeve. I do love Maurice Andre, indeed brass generally, but especially his silvery trumpet tone. Electrostatics and brass are a good combination, I guess there must be very fine detail in that slight rasp to the timbre which is well conveyed by them.

RHCD,

The record sounds good, but the Rampal / André version seems wrong to me. I like snappy, lively Baroque, but that performance borders on schmaltzy waltzy.

I do, however, have an even worse performance — Herbert von Karajan's attempt.

Joe

Thanks, man, but I have a spiffy version of the Brandenburg Concertos I rather like.

Joe

It does look more like the Klyne than the Threshold pre, as the Threshold had knobs the same colour as the front panel, silver with silver. The Klyne had silver/chrome on black.

No mistaking the Threshold. The legs are the give-away. I think the lighting and the slightly angled fascia (thanks to the distinctive legs) make the fascia look a little darker.

Doesn't Steve T of Hififofum post on here from time to time?

advertisement

Back