advertisement

Steve Albini R.I.P

That's an ouch.

Divisive figure. Some really great, no punches pulled writings on the economics of recording/touring/music biz in general.

Same ages as me, so that's a double ouch.

Have tickets for Shellac in Brighton. Live they are so powerful. Seen them alot but in Hackney several years back after a particularly powerful performance they sat on the stage and invited the audience to come and chat with them. He seemed extremely humble and generous with his time.

I was looking forward to seeing them. Hopefully the new album is great.

A significant figure in music for me.

Responsible for a lot of great music and a wonderful legacy. RIP

Bummer. RIP Steve. Either his music (Big Black) or music he produced was the soundtrack to my youth. I'm off to play Colombian Necktie very loud.

Blimey, no age. Just had a quick scan and I don't think I have anything he has done but clearly a very influential and talented guy. RIP.

I rarely comment on any older music dude's RIP, but do so because it's such a shock at 61. Steve Albini was a true comrade who said a big Fvck off to the corporates, & made a fantastic contribution to albums I love. Great producer.

And I feel sorry for Nina Nastasia, who recorded my favourite album with him; her & her partner-producer became friends of his during & since the recording, this coming after his suicide only a few years ago.

Everyone put on Surfer Rosa FKN LOUD for him I say!

Capt

That is very sad. So many great sounding albums as a result of his recording style and skill. I always enjoyed the recorded sound he got from a drum kit.

I'll be turning up 18th Dye - Tribute to a Bus tonight.

Rest in Peace, you sure will be missed.

That is very sad. So many great sounding albums as a result of his recording style and skill. I always enjoyed the recorded sound he got from a drum kit.

Agreed. At his best it just sounded like you were sitting in the studio/practice room with the band. So real. He moved the goalposts IMHO:

PS Two bassists and a drummer. A perfect band line-up.

Agreed. At his best it just sounded like you were sitting in the studio/practice room with the band. So real. He moved the goalposts IMHO:

PS Two bassists and a drummer. A perfect band line-up.
New to me and a great example. Thx

If you scroll down to his credits "as an audio engineer" that's a heck of a canon of work. He can barely have had a day off in the 2000's.
I know I said he worked a lot in the 2000's but I think the BBC are surely exaggerating wildly here (my bold).

"Albini was an instrumental and uncompromising figure in the US indie scene in the 1980s and 90s, leading bands including Big Black and Shellac.
His influence was also heard on the several thousand albums he produced and engineered".

I’m struggling to get my head around the fact that he was only 6 years older than me and he’d produced Surfer Rosa before Pixies released Doolittle a year later. I was 21. Seamonsters by The Wedding Present followed a couple of years later. He produced two of my favourite records of all time before he turned 30. I’m now 55 and feeling suddenly sad, old and mortal.

Agree on his knack for a drum sound. Love Seamonsters, best Weddies LP by far me thinks, that claustrophobic, no cymbals, drum sound, and great songs of course.

Obviously didn’t know the guy, but knew his voice and words as one of the few beacons of intelligence in a business full of preening idiots. Loads of my favourite albums are his productions. And it’s really sad to think I won’t be going to any more Shellac gigs.

I guess poker and recording studios leads to a sedentary and unhealthy lifestyle. Still, 61 is a scary age to go.

I had hoped to link to a fabulous Q and A he did on a poker forum here, but it appears to have vanished from the inter web.

advertisement

Back