advertisement

Steve Albini R.I.P

Tribute from a couple of writers from The Quietus.

For anyone who is interested in the nerdy side of recording there are some great videos on the YouTube channel of Steve's Electrical Audio studio.

One of the reasons he was such a great engineer was because he spent years really understanding the physics and electrical engineering inherent in recording sound. And he was able to explain it so clearly.

Tragic news that had me astonished. But such a legacy!

I went to a single Shellac gig, back in the late 90s. It was, naturally, one of the best gigs I've ever been to. The sound was incredible. I put a Shellac record on when I got home after & was dismayed at how inadequate the hi-fis reproduction was.

Heart attacks are a leading cause of death & can seemingly come from nowhere, although there are certain risk factors that Albini may or may not have been aware of. A particular neurodevelopmental condition indirectly puts me at risk myself. I do my best, but que será, será. A fit, healthy-eating friend - albeit with an unfortunate family history - had one in his early 40s & survived only by the most exquisitely fortuitous of circumstances.

RIP Steve Albini.

Here's another must see video of him reminiscing with some great insights, including working with Plant and Page:

NSFW.

John

Who knew he also moonlighted as an album reviewer. From the sadly defunct Melody Maker. He had produced Slints debut album and so it obviously wasn't a surprise to him that they had a great LP like Spiderland in them.

That 2nd last sentence:) And he was right of course!

It's been a lot more than ten years, but I've not only seen Slint live, I mixed the set. Sadly I remember none of it. It was another of many poorly-attended weeknight shows in the early 1990s, but their picture was on the wall in our gallery of 8x10 publicity photos for over 18 years, I saw it every time I walked in the front door of the venue.

Albini's review is prescient, the album did receive wider acclaim years later.

Have tickets for Shellac in Brighton. Live they are so powerful. Seen them alot but in Hackney several years back after a particularly powerful performance they sat on the stage and invited the audience to come and chat with them. He seemed extremely humble and generous with his time.

I was looking forward to seeing them. Hopefully the new album is great.

A significant figure in music for me.
Was that gig off Mare Street in an old unemployment office? If so, some wag got the pithiest Q in for Bob Weston that night, simply "Murder She Wrote or Quincy?"

One of his more obscure productions was Heavy Meadow by cellist Anni Rossi. A sort of indie pop smorgasbord constructed from electric cello and synths with delicious melodies.

Did anyone else go to the 2002 All Tomorrows Parties curated by Shellac?

I really liked how, while most bands involved put themselves at the top of the bill, Shellac played first on the bill and they played all three days. I thought it was a smart thing to do because it got lots of people out of bed and into the venues nice and early - I remember scrambling out of the chalet each morning with an awful hangover determined not to miss them...

John Peel broadcast a bit of it.

For quiet Albini albums
Amongst New York TImes top 10 Low with the the wonderful, sadly no longer with us Mimi Parker

This is very good on recording acoustic instruments. Albini was a remarkable recording engineer. We all associate him with great sounding noisy rock records, but he knew it all inside and out.

I don't: I think he was a FAR better as a producer-engineer (I have no time for Big Black, & little time for Shellac too; saw them but bored crowd tried booing them off- which he weirdly ignored, & even seemed as if he perversely enjoyed!). Just an average wind-up merchant as a performer in Big Black, an average musician in Shellac, but as a producer.. on another level entirely- fantastic.

Capt

He always said the best band he recorded was Jesus Lizard and he was right.

Didn't he say the most consistently good band he recorded, were The Jesus Lizard-? And he was right too.

To me The Jesus Lizard, although their sound 'blueprint' nicked from them, kinda did what Big Black+Shellac did (& album after album) but miles better. I think he might even have agreed himself! As his self-demeaning sense of humour was almost as impeccable (& reveered afaict) as his talent for studio recording: he almost revelled in being disliked with gleeful self-deprecating anecdote after anecdote! That's just brilliant. A remarkable personality too by all accounts.

Capt

advertisement

Back