advertisement

Static noise when using Raspberry Pi usb

Shut the Wifi module off and Ethernet happens to sit on the same upstream internal connection as the USB hub, so every time the Ethernet port draws power, noise is injected into your audio output.

I think they fixed that in the RPi 4.

Can't see any support for Qobuz though.
If Qobuz is still temporarily a problem on Volumio then using PiCorePlayer to tide you over with Qobuz needs something like this:
  • Do a basic PiCorePlayer install and open the PiCorePlayer page at http://RPi-IP-address/
  • Resize the uSD card file system (to accommodate the LMS install, 1,000 MBytes is more than enough)
  • Install LMS (skip the unnecessary bits - defaults should be OK)
  • Open the LMS page at http://RPi-IP-address:9000/
  • Click on Settings and install the Qobuz plugin from the Plugins tab (remember to hit Apply)
  • Insert your credentials under Qobuz settings (and Apply)
  • Start Qobuz from the main PiCorePlayer page
EDIT: I see there's a Volumio update dated today. That might be the better fix.

Volumio supposed to be fixed tomorrow.

For noisy usb fixes, what’s the likely difference between these two hats?

https://thepihut.com/products/hifiberry-digi-pro

And

https://thepihut.com/products/hifiberry-digi-standard-version

Using Volumio into a Mojo via optical (I have one of those leads handy, would I feel the benefit for my extra ten quid?

So far as I can tell, the big difference between these two HATs is that the Pro version provides galvanic isolation. That and a gold plated RCA connector.

@lordsummit

https://thepihut.com/products/hifiberry-digi-pro

I have used one of these and it's quite competent. If you go with this, spend the extra on a BNC connector (offered as an extra) it might be useful in the future.
For almost the same price you could buy a new rpi4b

I don't understand the usb noise issue at all.
I have used the USB outlet on lots of different pi and never heard an extra squeak.
I now that folk complain abot the (pre rpi4b) pi sharing the same bus between usb and ethernet, but the interrupts are noisless for me.

Has the noise always been there, or is it recent?
Do you get it with any other OS? have you tried any troubleshooting?
Is the mojo running on battery?
Cutting or isolating the power line is one option but some dacs use it to handshake with the player?

ronnie

Thanks @Man in a van

I’ll be really honest, I love Volumio because even for a techno numpty like me it’s usable. The other ones all seem to require programming in order to use Qobuz, or at the very least the use of a line level prompt. My eyes glaze over and I get all befuddled. I’m a musician, I don’t understand Linux at all. Qobuz and Apple Music before it are my main sources.

As to the noise, it’s been there I think for most of the time I’ve had my Pi, it seems to come and go, it’s only noticeable when I play quiet piano music or chamber music, and it’s a little like a record with a hint of static. Minor crackles not pops and cracks.

It seemed not to be there this morning. I may try a different usb lead as a starting point now.

I’ve tried so far:

Battery power on the Mojo
Resetting WiFi
Reinstalling Volumio
Turning off potential electrical polluters

Thanks Ronnie, I’m sure it’s curable, I may well try a hifi berry digipro if a new usb doesn’t work.

I still think if you have a cheap USB cable lying around you should open it up and cut the red wire. If it helped, you'd have a potential solution and more data. If it didn't help you'd still have more data.

I still think if you have a cheap USB cable lying around you should open it up and cut the red wire. If it helped, you'd have a potential solution and more data. If it didn't help you'd still have more data.

As soon as Mrs L goes out I will be on it...

Seems to have been cured by trying a different usb. Now which £10 usb from Amazon should I buy? Standard at one end and micro usb at the other

Hmmm, after yesterday’s feeling that I’d nailed it, occasional pops and clicks returned, but I think a solution may have been found, I’ve hardwired the Pi using a network cable I found in my wires cupboard. Paul Lewis is playing Schubert with nary a crackle right now. Now to get the pi to utilise properly the hard drive I found at the same time...

Had an absolute ball ache trying to get rid of electrical noise over spdif and usb on a Pi, used Toslink instead.

Might just splash the cash!! Thanks for looking.

FWIW, I run a couple of IQAudio Digi HATs. I think they’re very good for around £35. I also have an Allo Digione Signature with one of JK’s Cuinas Supercapacitor PSU.

I’ve tried them both into my nDAC+active sibbles, the ADS/Cuinas is better (at more than 10 times the cost).........

But don’t get me wrong, the IQDigi is no slouch and I run that into my Numerik on the Briks system.

And of course, there really is no difference between the ADS & the IQDigi, coz it’s all bit perfect in the digital domain, innit?

advertisement

Back