advertisement

Static noise when using Raspberry Pi usb

lordsummit

Ok, so I’ve noticed sometimes there seems to be a small amount of noise from my pi when connected to the Mojo via usb (the only connection I have available currently)
This seems to be worse as my only option this weekend is to airplay to the pi. It’s like having a slightly staticy LP. This happens slightly when I’m using Qobuz via Volumio, but much worse on Airplay.
I have no idea how to go about removing it. Has anyone encountered this, and got any suggestions? I’m finding Pi and Volumio rather irritating this weekend. Is there another better way of getting Qobuz to my DAC rather than the pi. I’m about to try my laptop instead of the pi, just to see if that helps.

Not for this one. I used Moode Player and a less impressive i2s IQAudio Pro DAC.

It is simple and just works. I read so many miseries USB users experience.

Your Pi and DAC don't need to send/receive power via USB since they're independently powered, right? So if you have an extra USB cable lying around you don't mind experimenting on, you could try cutting the 5V wire in case the Pi's noisy PSU was making the noise.

Your Pi and DAC don't need to send/receive power via USB since they're independently powered, right? So if you have an extra USB cable lying around you don't mind experimenting on, you could try cutting the 5V wire in case the Pi's noisy PSU was making the noise.

I could try, which one is the 5v wire? That’s hard for a techno numpty!

It looks like it would be the red wire if your USB cable conforms to the coloring norm. Might as well try instead of spending more on options that may or may not work.

YVRrcBo.jpg

I use (two different) RPis into a Lakewest Modified Audiolab MDAC, and then onto a very revealing system consisting of a Radford STA25 into Martin Logan Summits and I hear no noise of any sort at any volume, but I do use a USB isolator that I bought from Farnell years ago. I've not tried taking it out, mainly as it's a bit inaccessible, but it seems to be a good solution without any apparent drawbacks. I think USB noise is probably the only reason different streaming systems would sound different, as I've used several from £xxxx! Linn DS systems to a £30 Pi, and they all sound the same to me, in my system.

The Mojo is susceptible to noise over USB so the source needs to be clean.

With the Pi you're kind of damned if you do, damned if you don't. Use WiFi and you'll have RF noise. Shut the Wifi module off and Ethernet happens to sit on the same upstream internal connection as the USB hub, so every time the Ethernet port draws power, noise is injected into your audio output.

A good HAT with power isolation, ie Digione, is a very effective solution that is less noisy than USB. Only problem is you need to find an RCA to mini jack cable for the Mojo, so that might up the price a little bit.

advertisement

Back