advertisement

"Stars" Selling Out To TV Advertising??

Agreed. Smarter than they looked eh
I think it was down to Peter Grant, he persuaded them not to release singles so anyone wanting their music had to buy an album. Whatever the logic you wouldn't want to argue with Mr Grant :)

At least Led Zep held out for 30 years before allowing even their music on a commercial. Respect.

Possibly Bernard Shaw.

He was at a party once and he told this woman that everyone would agree to do anything for money, if the price was high enough.
`Surely not,' she said.'
`Oh yes,' he said.
`Well, I wouldn't,' she said.
`Oh yes you would,' he said.

`For instance,' he said, `would you sleep with me for... for a million pounds?'
`Well,' she said, `maybe for a million I would, yes.'
`Would you do it for ten shillings?' said Bernard Shaw.
`Certainly not!' said the woman `What do you take me for? A prostitute?'

`We've established that already,' said Bernard Shaw. `We're just trying to fix your price now!' "

I think it was down to Peter Grant, he persuaded them not to release singles so anyone wanting their music had to buy an album. Whatever the logic you wouldn't want to argue with Mr Grant :)

PG also changed the ticket proceeds share from live venue owners. All other musicians have benefitted ever since.
The real reason is that singles/charts were, are and always will be naff. By 1969 all great bands were album bands.

Im sorry but its been driving me up the wall!

I mean how sad does it look for Harvey Keitel to be using a Pulp Fiction character on an insurance advertisement. How does he get clearance from the films producers to ruin the artistic merit? Is everyone on the payroll?

It just looks desperately, desperately sad and I include the insurance company.

Iggy pop did the same with insurance. I have just heard Jarvis Cocker doing a Sainsburys advert which is almost the final straw.

Why do I need to hear him selling food? Surely any reasonable and anonymous voice will do!

Bill Hicks was right about the advertising industry.

Legendary comedian Bill Hicks once infamously said, if artists were to sell themselves or a song to an advertisement, they’d be “off the artistic roll call forever. You’re another whore at the capitalist gang bang … Everything you say is suspect and every word that comes out of your mouth is now like a turd falling into my drink.”

When is it acceptable to sell your name to advertising another product? Please don't tell me about a free market choice. Its deeply wrong on so many levels

Bills. It's all about the bills. They need paying somehow...

It's just jealosy, if someone offered a large sum of money to look like a prat, most people would sign on the dotted line, me included, hell I do it for free a lot of the time, be nice to get paid for a change.

advertisement

Back