advertisement

"Stars" Selling Out To TV Advertising??

Orson Welles use to do the Sandeman's Port ads as well didn't he? The one ad that pees me off cos it's a con is that damned Victoria Plum ad for bathroom fittings. When I was interested went all the way through to check out thinking yeah, decent prices and then..... they wanted 50+ fecking quid to deliver to the English Midlands, 2 basin taps and a standard shower fitment. Not sure if they are still pulling that stroke, won't be going back though.

I can't say I give a monkeys either way. If a manufacturer is willing to part with large sums why wouldn't a well known celebrity say 'yes please'

Demonstrates the use and benefit of a Sky+ box or other TV recording and playback device with fast forward. If the adverts help to pay for the program and I avoid exposure to them then it is a win win for me.

Demonstrates even more the value of not having a TV at all and thus avoiding the shite programmes and the shite adverts and saving £££s in the process. A win win win situation, plus it gives one a smug feeling of intellectual superiority. Which is nice (he says, ironically using a television catchphrase).

Yeah. The carphone Warehouse advert made me me think I shouldnt be buying from them. I have bought from them but that advert made me realise they are treating us all like idiots.

I worry about the people that get off on these adverts. It just seems to be about the lowest common denominator

No; the ad agency is appealing to you; the seller is paying the ad agency, the ad agency books the media. The only idiot is you, the one who is both taking notice, and whining about it.

Carphone Warehouse Dixons (or whatever they are called) will never get a penny from me now they are paying that talentless and irritating berk Leigh Francis.

Oh, and if they used a more intelligent and talented frontsperson, you'd continue to spend your money with them? Bollocks.

I can't say I give a monkeys either way. If a manufacturer is willing to part with large sums why wouldn't a well known celebrity say 'yes please'

Yes, you have it in one. Celeb endorsement is one of the options; it's clearly still working in the UK.

Do not forget that, you the viewer, are the product that is being sold to the advertiser.

You got it in one. Media agencies are matchmakers; it's not a one-way street as cookie seems to think.

It's, Suntory time. (Fictional character, before anyone gets indignant)

bill-murray-suntor_2686338b.jpg

No; the ad agency is appealing to you; the seller is paying the ad agency, the ad agency books the media. The only idiot is you, the one who is both taking notice, and whining about it.

Too easy to say that Rico.

Im only taking notice of the appalling standard of advertising. I dont sit through them all.

When a programme is interupted by adverts its easy to catch one or two of them. I dont go rushing out of the room or flick the remote on every ocassion. Show me the product and treat me like an adult which is not what they are doing.

I try and watch advert free stations as much as possible

Im only taking notice of the appalling standard of advertising. I dont sit through them all.

When a programme is interupted by adverts its easy to catch one or two of them. I dont go rushing out of the room or flick the remote on every ocassion. Show me the product and treat me like an adult which is not what they are doing.

If you don't like adverts, don't watch them!. If you cannot find what you want on BBC and cannot afford Netflix, HBO etc, then you have to watch commercial TV which is funded by adverts, adverts are made for a specific market segment that responds to them, if you don't , I am afraid it's tough.

I choose not to watch adverts. If I want a product or solution, I go searching for it.

I record any broadcast tv that I want to watch. I get the luxury of FF'ing through all adverts. For those days that I choose to watch the box, this approach either gives me back a significant portion of my life (16+mins in the hour for prime time), or the time to watch another show by choice.

yes, I miss some 20 second televisual masterpieces.... the benefits outweigh the losses.

Consequently I do not complain about adverts. I understand that watching them is a choice; I've made an adult decision. Life is easy.

Legendary comedian Bill Hicks once infamously said, if artists were to sell themselves or a song to an advertisement, they’d be “off the artistic roll call forever. You’re another whore at the capitalist gang bang … Everything you say is suspect and every word that comes out of your mouth is now like a turd falling into my drink.”

Does that include the master of anarchy in the UK, Mr John Rotten, I hope not. My world would be shattered.

Demonstrates the use and benefit of a Sky+ box or other TV recording and playback device with fast forward. If the adverts help to pay for the program and I avoid exposure to them then it is a win win for me.

Interesting concept, but I'd rather cope with the ads than financially support the Murdoch empire.

advertisement

Back