advertisement

Standmounts with 8in bass/mid drivers

Something with a Volt 8" such as the Wilmslow Audio Classique/HSM kits, the Kord Tornado or these:

https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/volt-bm-228-8-scanspeak-2905-990000-speaker-build.255319/

Other than that, on the cheaper end of the scale, the KEF Reference 103 are easy to find and pretty affordable. Sealed box so should work well in a smaller room, if a bit bigger then the KEF Reference 104/2 are superb, two 8" bass drivers but I found they need a bit of space around them to sound their best.

Other than that, plenty of cheaper Tannoy models with 8" & 10" drivers, such as the T-Series range or DC1000/DC2000 models for example.

Then going larger, you have older stuff like the Goodmans Axiom 201 which can be had for around £200-£300 a pair, sometimes with cabinets, may be worth a punt.
There is the Klipsch Heresey, I had the II model, really nice tight and punchy bass, super efficient but I really could not get on with the midrange/treble on them, far too coloured.

Last ones that come to mind, the Rega Jura, super cheap, usually around £150, nice cherry or black veneer, may well need the bass port plugging to work in a smaller room but great fun!

Could you elaborate?

It is a group test of premium standmounters, so B&W 705 signature, Fyne audio F1.5, JBL HDI-1600, PMC 21i and Q acoustics concept 300. They basically say the Spendors win out for impact (level of bass and scale), insight, emotional engagement and refinement, plus being the most versatile across different types of music.

I still wish I could have made them work in my room, perhaps I should have persevered, as they were lovely.

It is a group test of premium standmounters, so B&W 705 signature, Fyne audio F1.5, JBL HDI-1600, PMC 21i and Q acoustics concept 300. They basically say the Spendors win out for impact (level of bass and scale), insight, emotional engagement and refinement, plus being the most versatile across different types of music.

I still wish I could have made them work in my room, perhaps I should have persevered, as they were lovely.
I briefly thought they would not work in my tiny room but they sound great in there.

advertisement

Back