advertisement

Standmounts with 8in bass/mid drivers

Bart

pfm Member
My current speakers in my smallish room have 6in drivers (Wharfedale Jade 1) and I’m wondering what benefits if any 8in drivers would bring. I’m certainly well into the upper quartile of ages on the forum so I’m thinking my age-degraded hearing might be better suited to a 2 way speaker with a larger bass/mid driver.
Any comments and/or suggestions for such speakers gratefully received.

The 8 inch woofers are getting rare nowadays............ because the 6 1/2 and 7 inch drivers are much more competent at the moment, generally speaking.
An 8 inch may provide more bass and sound pressure but may not go lower in frequencies than a smaller driver.
The Dynaudio Evoke 20 seems to be one of a kind with its 7 inch driver instead of 6 1/2 so maybe worth a listen ?
The B&W CM5 has a good bass but may not be every one’s choice.......
PMC bookshelf speakers with a labyrinth should be added to your list as well, they go very deep for their size !

We really need to know your budget?

If it's cheap as possible, try some JPW AP2 or AP3. Detailed treble, big, clean midrange and the bass is very tight, but a bit lacking in depth. Very punchy though.

Spendor Classic 2/3...I have the Classic 3/1 with the 7 inch and they are fabulous.

My current speakers in my smallish room have 6in drivers (Wharfedale Jade 1) and I’m wondering what benefits if any 8in drivers would bring. I’m certainly well into the upper quartile of ages on the forum so I’m thinking my age-degraded hearing might be better suited to a 2 way speaker with a larger bass/mid driver.
Any comments and/or suggestions for such speakers gratefully received.

If budget around similar to those Wharfedale,? maybe a pair Heybrook HB1.
They will work close to rear wall indicated in your smallish room.

They are indeed a classic and uncomplicated sound with nothing like analytical or peaky tweeter.
Works well with smallish amps, I had mine on a little Creek amo.

Still available as replica from Wilmslow or if you can find a nice s/h pair.
Above JPW suggestion seconded too.

Thanks for all replies, should have mentioned budget .... not a big spender in this field and happy with second hand as long as not ancient, say £400 max.

Thanks for all replies, should have mentioned budget .... not a big spender in this field and happy with second hand as long as not ancient, say £400 max.

Sorry, I won't offer you my LS3/6s for that much little. :p

What about this pair? Not a 2-way with an 8" midwoofer but a 3-way with a dedicated woofer.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/18481348...d=link&campid=5338728743&toolid=20001&mkevt=1

Or a Spendor SP2/2?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/33396135...d=link&campid=5338728743&toolid=20001&mkevt=1

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Not quite an 8" (they're 7") and would involve some budget creep but the scale of the sound for a stand-mount has to be heard to be believed...

Celestion A1

These are in what I think is the best colour and have the later 3-bar tweeter. They also seem to be in fantastic condition and I don't think I've ever seen a pair with the matching stands!

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Ok, ++1 ! Give me your address, I’m coming ! (I’m an ex-fan of the BC1) :D

Ex?? :eek:

LS3/6 actually pretty much a BBC version of the BCII rather than BCI as they use the same driver line up. Spendor provided the BCII woofers to the BBC for most of the LS3/6's life IIRC.

I don't see much relevance to whether the woofer in a stand mount is 6 1/2, 7 or 8"... Implementation is infinitely more important!

advertisement

Back