advertisement

Standmount Recommendations

During the next couple of years I'd like to try out 3-4 different standmounts in an effort to learn more and figure out what my actual preferences are. But most importantly anything that gets me gains on these rather vague fronts:

1. Goosebumps
2. Foot tapping
3. Non-fatiguing
4. Genre agnostic
5. Immersive

Happy to explore between £2-10k of any flavour, tiny 2.5m x 4m listening room, so ideally leaning towards the smaller size. Any suggestions? Thanks

(FWIW: Had loads of speakers under the £1k bracket, Dali, Q Acoustics, Kef etc. most decent enough. The Neat Petite Classic where a major step up over these, quite an eye opener (as you'd hope for double the cost). Then the Dynaudio Heritage Special a step up still though I eventually sold as they were a bit too peaky in the presence region for my tastes - but boy did they excel at some stuff. Also tried the latest Buchardt active speakers which I thought were the ones then 2 months later realised they weren't giving me goosebumps, at all. Not sure why. Current set-up: Eversolo A8 > Merson Frerot DAC > Hegel H390 > Neats / KEF KC62 sub)
I would say ATC SCM10 (or SCM7) as well as KEF 201/2 would be worth a try. The latter has a boundary bass adjustment if you have a bass issue.

Or still a 'standmount', the NS1000M can be placed hard up against the wall so integrate well into the room.

Monitor Audio Gold 100 5G or Platinum 100 3G.

Don't just write them off as "bright" without listening to them, just because they use metal drivers.

Thanks for the nudge on these: ex-demo Monitor Audio Platinum 100 3G incoming :) mildly concerned they might be too much bass for my room but I'll guess I'll find out soon.

A few quotes, if you're into reviewernese:

Comparing to the Focal Sopra N°2 [£7k!], Tim says "it shone on a completely different level, this first song was over far too quickly and left us hungry for more."

"The overall tonal balance is beautifully judged"

"The amount of fine detail regarding tone and timbre they’re able to extract and contextualise, and the eloquence and character they invest into a vocal line, is remarkable".

"they have the sort of dynamic potency to put considerable distance between the quietest and loudest moments of a recording, as well as to reveal the harmonic variations inherent in an unaccompanied voice or solo instrument"

"When it comes to control, authority, detail retrieval, dynamic headroom, soundstaging and basically everything else that goes to make up an outstanding loudspeaker, they’re deeply impressive".

"deliver a very convincing experience of music that extends beyond the speakers", adding they were "very fluent and smooth".

" In the smallest of spaces, the bookshelf speaker combines deep bass, phenomenal spaciousness and a steady hand with fine details."

"Even as a bookshelf Monitor Audio Platinum 100 3G, you can still also fill a room with atmospheric masses of sound, but to do so you bring an unprecedented level of liveliness and follow driving rhythms with as much ease and sure-footedness."

They're supposed to be great at lower volume (important for me) and they look rather pretty.

Ooh, I'm excited.

Unless you’re doing a load of room treatment, I’d suggest active speakers with dsp. You will get them to work in your room, without worrying about too many compromises of speaker size and positioning with a traditional setup.

Thanks for the nudge on these: ex-demo Monitor Audio Platinum 100 3G incoming :) mildly concerned they might be too much bass for my room but I'll guess I'll find out soon.

A few quotes, if you're into reviewernese:

Comparing to the Focal Sopra N°2 [£7k!], Tim says "it shone on a completely different level, this first song was over far too quickly and left us hungry for more."

"The overall tonal balance is beautifully judged"

"The amount of fine detail regarding tone and timbre they’re able to extract and contextualise, and the eloquence and character they invest into a vocal line, is remarkable".

"they have the sort of dynamic potency to put considerable distance between the quietest and loudest moments of a recording, as well as to reveal the harmonic variations inherent in an unaccompanied voice or solo instrument"

"When it comes to control, authority, detail retrieval, dynamic headroom, soundstaging and basically everything else that goes to make up an outstanding loudspeaker, they’re deeply impressive".

"deliver a very convincing experience of music that extends beyond the speakers", adding they were "very fluent and smooth".

" In the smallest of spaces, the bookshelf speaker combines deep bass, phenomenal spaciousness and a steady hand with fine details."

"Even as a bookshelf Monitor Audio Platinum 100 3G, you can still also fill a room with atmospheric masses of sound, but to do so you bring an unprecedented level of liveliness and follow driving rhythms with as much ease and sure-footedness."

They're supposed to be great at lower volume (important for me) and they look rather pretty.

Ooh, I'm excited.
Good news. I have been after a used set of 100 5G for a while but they are a bit of a rarity. Would be interested to hear your thoughts on the MAs you have bought.

During the next couple of years I'd like to try out 3-4 different standmounts in an effort to learn more and figure out what my actual preferences are. But most importantly anything that gets me gains on these rather vague fronts:

1. Goosebumps
2. Foot tapping
3. Non-fatiguing
4. Genre agnostic
5. Immersive

Happy to explore between £2-10k of any flavour, tiny 2.5m x 4m listening room, so ideally leaning towards the smaller size. Any suggestions? Thanks

(FWIW: Had loads of speakers under the £1k bracket, Dali, Q Acoustics, Kef etc. most decent enough. The Neat Petite Classic where a major step up over these, quite an eye opener (as you'd hope for double the cost). Then the Dynaudio Heritage Special a step up still though I eventually sold as they were a bit too peaky in the presence region for my tastes - but boy did they excel at some stuff. Also tried the latest Buchardt active speakers which I thought were the ones then 2 months later realised they weren't giving me goosebumps, at all. Not sure why. Current set-up: Eversolo A8 > Merson Frerot DAC > Hegel H390 > Neats / KEF KC62 sub)

What music and what is the rest of your kit? :)

I’ve had theee pairs of scm11’s , just keep coming back to them as they sound so right. I doubt you will be disappointed.
I quite agree with you. I have had 2 pairs of scm11s and just couldn't get the sound out of my head which is why I now own SCM20s!

I think that the SCM 11s and 19s are outstanding speakers and fine value.

advertisement

Back