advertisement

Standing desks

Seanm

pfm Member
Any good? I'm at my desk all the time right now and the moment I sit down I hunch up, doesn't matter what kind of chair I use. My back/shoulders are done in. I've heard standing's better for this kind of thing but it does sound a bit gimmicky.

On site years ago I would often stand, it was easier to access all the drawings and deal with the day to day running. In fact I still have a full sized drawing board and stand to use.

I now use a back friend when sitting and on the laptop and my stiff back and shoulders have disappeared. I even use it for watching tv/listening to dark side of the moog.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=back+friend&ref=nb_sb_noss

Bloss

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
You should try it if you can. All our office desks in the US and UK can be standing or sitting. TBH most still sit but many do stand for 30 mins to an hour or so with a few hardcore folks standing all day.

You can get rising table adaptors that sit on your existing desk and allow you to raise the gubbins to the height you want. Saves you buying an expensive lifting desk.

We have some here, colleagues can self refer to occupational health after completing an online Display Screen Equipment course and check. Then OH do more extensive assessments and can "prescribe" a standing desk amongst other things. We always buy the motorised versions.

Someone at work has these. You can achieve the same thing with 4 bricks.

All the DSE reports I have seen from OH, suggest most benefit can be had from varying the posture, and spending some time standing and some time sitting. Only really achievable with an adjustable desk.

Many, many years ago I used to make jewellery and spent long periods of time at my work bench and I found one of these helped a lot:
https://www.lockwoodhume.co.uk/varier-wing-balans-kneeling-chair-395-p.asp

Yes we had some of these, but if you have wrecked knees I would urge caution. I tried one for posture, but kneeling caused me alot of swelling and discomfort in my knees.

Thanks all. Need a new desk and Ikea have a cheap enough (hand cranked) one so might give it a go.

A colleague where I used to work decided he wanted one of these and got a hand cranked version.

I used to give the crank half a turn each morning before he came in and after a couple of weeks he could hardly see over the top - he was quite a short chap. He would then reset it and the process would start all over again, it was quite a while until he worked out what was happening.

I’m replying standing at one if these which I‘ve had for years. Brilliant! (Although mine has black coated metall and white melanin & oak boards)

milla_stehpult_produkt_784x764_4.png

When I have a bad back episode then those kneeling chairs are a good option for me. But I have a shot knee so I do find i can only use it for short bursts.

He would then reset it and the process would start all over again, it was quite a while until he worked out what was happening.
It didn't take him too long to find it out, but he decided not to bother too much with it as long as someone in the office found some pleasure that way.

I have one that goes on the desk and its a good/expensive model. Its gas assisted, you press handles in and it lifts itself.

I am not using it so would be happy to let it go cheaply bu it would be collection from andover. I'll get more details when I am back home.

At work I use a lifting desk and I stand for most of the day, except for the last 1-2 hours where I can lower it automatically to a preset height. I wouldn't want to crank the table up and down manually every day.

Very practical, I really wouldn't want to go back to a standard desk. Not only for my back, in fact I tend to concentrate better when standing.

It's not exactly cheap, but bear in mind that you will use it several hours a day and it will probably outlast you.

A colleague where I used to work decided he wanted one of these and got a hand cranked version.

I used to give the crank half a turn each morning before he came in and after a couple of weeks he could hardly see over the top - he was quite a short chap. He would then reset it and the process would start all over again, it was quite a while until he worked out what was happening.
Brilliant.

Mrs Twit Has the Shrinks
As soon as Mrs Twit sat down, Mr Twit pointed at her and shouted, ‘There you are! You’re sitting in your old chair and you’ve shrunk so much your feet aren’t even touching the ground!’

Mrs Twit looked down at her feet and by golly the man was right. Her feet were not touching the ground.

Mr Twit, you see, had been just as clever with the chair as he’d been with the walking-stick. Every night when he had gone downstairs and stuck a little bit extra on to the stick, he had done the same to the four legs of Mrs Twit’s chair.

‘Just look at you sitting there in your same old chair,’ he cried, ‘and you’ve shrunk so much your feet are dangling in the air!’

Mrs Twit went white with fear.

‘You’ve got the shrinks!’ cried Mr Twit, pointing his finger at her like a pistol. ‘You’ve got them badly! You’ve got the most terrible case of shrinks I’ve ever seen!’

advertisement

Back