advertisement

Standing desks

If you don’t want to stand, these are a lot more comfortable than they look
https://www.officefurnitureonline.c...MI0POylrrJ4wIVmK3tCh2nBQp8EAQYASABEgI2_PD_BwE

already mentioned upthread

All the DSE reports I have seen from OH, suggest most benefit can be had from varying the posture, and spending some time standing and some time sitting. Only really achievable with an adjustable desk.

Yes we had some of these, but if you have wrecked knees I would urge caution. I tried one for posture, but kneeling caused me alot of swelling and discomfort in my knees.

kneeling chair hurt my knees.

My desk in the office is height adjustable. There are several dotted around the office and I just happened to be allocated one at random. Apart from when eating my breakfast, I stand all day and have done for the past 3 years now. My posture has improved, I don't get back ache anymore and my core strength is good.. I am generally more productive and don't feel like I might fall into a coma after having lunch.

This is my solution. My ancient trusty parallel motion atop an off cut of kitchen worktop set at the right height.

48363234257_3804ad5f15_h.jpg

Don’t know if it’ll work for you, but it’s an option, and it’s cheap!

My posture has improved, I don't get back ache anymore and my core strength is good..

This is the key. I did lots of work to improve my posture with my physiotherapist and it's all about core strength which is what allows you to sit comfortably. For years I thought a magic £££ chair would fix my posture and back problems but it turns out mostly it's about some simple exercises.

Basically if you get your core working properly you will subconsciously hold your spine in the right place in the same way you can hold your head up without thinking about it. Once you do this sitting properly becomes effortless and the hunched and slumped posture of the office worker goes away.

This is the key. I did lots of work to improve my posture with my physiotherapist and it's all about core strength which is what allows you to sit comfortably. For years I thought a magic £££ chair would fix my posture and back problems but it turns out mostly it's about some simple exercises.

Basically if you get your core working properly you will subconsciously hold your spine in the right place in the same way you can hold your head up without thinking about it. Once you do this sitting properly becomes effortless and the hunched and slumped posture of the office worker goes away.
Yes, Pilates has done it for me. Strengthening my core has changed my posture without me thinking about it, I sit better, walk better, can walk more efficiently, so can get fitter. A virtuous circle that starts from the inside.

I have one and got out of the habit of using it when the project I was on started to span 2 desks with it's wires and connectors. Now that project has finished I'm going to have to re arrange my desk to allow height adjustment again. When I did use it it was great. Just start out slowly - 5 or 10 minutes every hour, also have good padded insoles /shoes or a standing desk mat to stand on if you are not used to standing for long periods.
Personally I'd recommend an electric version as things that move around by electricity are inherently far cooler than those that don't.
I just bought the frame and recycled an existing desktop which made it slightly cheaper.

You should try it if you can. All our office desks in the US and UK can be standing or sitting. TBH most still sit but many do stand for 30 mins to an hour or so with a few hardcore folks standing all day.
I work in a flexi-environment with a range of workstations. My preference is always a stand-up desk when I can get one. I'm on my feet most of the day, but not just standing still.

advertisement

Back