advertisement

SSD for laptop question

PaulMB

pfm Member
Hello,
I have a Dell, entry-level laptop from about 2016. I want to replace the mechanical HD with an SSD, but the laptop is not with me, but in Israel and I can't open it to see what kind of SSD it is. But I want to buy it before I go there, because these things are cheaper in Italy than in Israel.
I'm told there are 2 kinds of SSDs, the flat plastic box, about 6x8cm and 1cm thick, which I am familiar with, and something completely different, a "new kind."
Does anyone know if I can be sure that a 2016 budget Dell will accept the old kind?

Thanks for any help.

If it's being used by someone out there get them to log in to Crucial and then the laptop will be identified and options given that can be supported.

I have a feeling that adaptors for the thinner drives to fit older kit are available. Can't recall details. But I have ssds in all my machines, some of which are older than 2016. (OK, one machine is far older but doesn't 'do' modern interfaces it all, ayway!)

That said, I usually have one or more external SSD via USB for data. Makes it easier to get more 'space' and move info from one machine to another.

I have a feeling that adaptors for the thinner drives to fit older kit are available. Can't recall details. But I have ssds in all my machines, some of which are older than 2016. (OK, one machine is far older but doesn't 'do' modern interfaces it all, ayway!)

That said, I usually have one or more external SSD via USB for data. Makes it easier to get more 'space' and move info from one machine to another.

The last SSD I bought from Crucial UK came with a 7mm to 9mm depth adaptor, so it would be a universal replacement for an original HD.
If you have the Dell model number then the Crucial site will display options.

I am using SATA SSDs in a 2006 IBM T.60 and a 2010 Dell XPS laptops for Windows and Linux.

I have a mix of computers Windows/macOS/Linux and the simplest way to both xfer and access data in different file systems on different hardware is over my SOHO network.

DV

Yes, 7mm can come with spacer and that is ok when you have 9mm hdd. For example, I had Asus Transformer which had 7mm hdd and 9mm ssd simply would not fit in.

Thanks, everyone! Sounds like a standard 2.5" with the 7/9mm adaptor will be fine.
But I'll see if I can get someone there to look at the model number of the laptop.
Again, thanks for everyone's help.

I am using SATA SSDs in a 2006 IBM T.60 and a 2010 Dell XPS laptops for Windows and Linux.

I have a mix of computers Windows/macOS/Linux and the simplest way to both xfer and access data in different file systems on different hardware is over my SOHO network.

DV

I also use a NAS+network. But tend to prefer transferring groups of files via a USB SSD. Old fasioned I guess as I still like sneakernet. :)

@PaulMB

Also buy yourself one of the (cheap!) USB3 to SATA adaptors; that way, you can have a clone program (carbon copy cloner etc*) copy your entire present installation to SSD, after which - install the SSD and you'll be right back where you left off.

You can then of course use said adaptor on your old mechanical HD, as convenient backup device using said comparable program ... a free extra layer of backup to whatever you have in place, to take a snapshot now and then. I do this with my couple of cast-off 2.5" SSDs - it's a backstop, a longer term view/ falls after my first two layers of recovery. Or, as JIm suggests - a convenient way of occasionally moving large chunks of data (like my photo /project libraries)

* I'm not up to speed with the current shiniest recommendation for such on windows - other here will help there.

@PaulMB

Also buy yourself one of the (cheap!) USB3 to SATA adaptors; that way, you can have a clone program (carbon copy cloner etc*) copy your entire present installation to SSD, after which - install the SSD and you'll be right back where you left off.

You can then of course use said adaptor on your old mechanical HD, as convenient backup device using said comparable program ... a free extra layer of backup to whatever you have in place, to take a snapshot now and then. I do this with my couple of cast-off 2.5" SSDs - it's a backstop, a longer term view/ falls after my first two layers of recovery. Or, as JIm suggests - a convenient way of occasionally moving large chunks of data (like my photo /project libraries)

* I'm not up to speed with the current shiniest recommendation for such on windows - other here will help there.
Some so called 'cloners' aren't and thats why sometimes they don't work. I've met this scene many times.

At the end of the day if all else fails I use disk destroyer (DD) as it is a true disk cloner and always works. You need to know what you are doing though.

I wrote a proper disk cloner during the early '80s in assembler for the company I worked for to close a deal. At the time our flagship disk was a fixed 39MB (yes Bytes) with a removeable 13MB disk making 52MB total. I think it cost at the time around £60K The whole thing was about the size of a washing machine but a little deeper.

For Windows I recommend MiniTool Partition Wizard especially the free version. You need an old release (I use 11) as some of the useful stuff has been moved to the pay for version in later releases.

DV

You dont need a spacer the drives weigh next to nothing, put a bit of plastic in there to pad it out if you feel its needed but dell are usually pretty sensible with a cage to hold it in place, just get the right one for your price point and relax.

@PaulMB

I have used the free version of HDClone (Miray Software) for my Windows install transfers to SSD for the past few years - never had it fail yet. I always have to remember to set it to not change the Disk Signature (easy done during the process)

Recently coughed up for a licence - adds some other useful features (like partition cloning) so was worth it.

I used MiniTool Partition Wizard free a year or so ago when upgrading my HP - easy and it worked perfectly.

advertisement

Back