advertisement

[WTD] SS Power Amplifier

Furyous

pfm Member
Im after a stereo power amp with balanced inputs, solid state, plenty of power. Not too fussed about age so long as it’s in excellent cosmetic and working condition. Budget flexible but ballpark £1k-£3k depending.

PM if you have something that fits the bill please.

I have a fully specced neurochrome 686. That is to say neurochrome linear ps boards, Neurochrome defender boards, Neurochrome soft start boards fed by a 800 transformer. Professionally assembled, estimated parts cost today, ie excluding labour, just under £2900. Looking for £2.2k collected from north notts

I have a black Chord 1200B balanced and RCA inputs Tons of power loads of grip yet capable of being very delicate when called for. Made gr=eat pairing with a Jeff Rowland Pre i was using at the time.

You just missed Neurochrome 686 Amplifier, no XLR but as it is a balanced design just few minutes of work to replace inputs
Worth to ask Bigman80 if it was paid already.
It was auditioned and sold yesterday morning.

Happy to build a brand new one with fully balanced inputs, 1kv traffo, 80000uf capacitance, pure copper binding posts and all OCC wiring, for @Furyous if he requires one.

Pics of my work available if required. More than happy to compare them to "professionally" built 686's.

The Modulus 686 is a great amplifier. Powerful enough for pretty much any speaker you can throw at it.
Mine is going nowhere.

Thanks for all the posts. Never heard of Nurochrome 686 - one to research! @Mr Ian - thank you but collection might be a challenge.

To give steer, this will replace a Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, albeit that is obviously an integrated. I’d like a similarly capable power amp in a more compact form factor. Maybe an ATC P1/P2, Bryston 4BSST2, Gamut D200. Possibly a NC1200 Class D amp. I prefer a fuller sound so Chord is not for me - thanks Mongeddavid.

The amp will pair with a Linn KK/2 and Dynaudio Confidence 20 speakers.

Actually the 4B is fairly compact for an amplifier of its power. 41cm (w) x 18cm (h) x 34cm (d). That would be fine.

Smaller than a Tri-Vista (48x17x48) and psu.

I am suspecting a fully specced 686 is probably too large, my case measures 450x410x190 but once the sockets and cables are in place I need 490mm front to back clearance. It does fit on a standard rack - just.

There is a smaller version of the 686 available. Power output is reduced by about 50% and it makes use of SMPS but weighs just 6kg and measures 340x330x150mm Available direct from Neurochrome fully built for just US$3490. add in shipping import duties, vat and courier disperment fees it will be about GBP £3600 delivered to the uk

advertisement

Back