advertisement

Squeezebox 3 mods thread

It's nothing special. It uses a 30VA split bobbin transformer with 9VAC secondaries in parallel. Schottky diodes (50DQ060 I think), mainly for low Vf. Then (IIRC) 0,47R - 2,200uF - 1R - 2,200uF - LM340T5 - 100uF 63V Elna Cerafine. The SR was connected in parallel iwth the LM340 so that I could swop from one to the other quickly, also to provide a level playing field for comparing the regs.

I must try some of those 4 terminal caps at some point!

Thank you for the detail:) I'll knock one up and see how it compares

Hi all,
I've just made a British Made 5V 3A linear power supply out of a module and maplin bits.

It seems to sound OK and is dead easy to build. Cost about £55.00.

Anyone interested and I'll post my efforts.

Hi all,
I've just made a British Made 5V 3A linear power supply out of a module and maplin bits.

Please! With pictures if you have 'em.

Hi all,

Yes we like piccies on here:) If my camera wasn't so shit I'd post a lot more:D

Here's my power supply.

http://flycatcher.mysite.orange.co.uk/
or here
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=32565

Can I apologise for the crap website.

Another user of the module said

" I am very happy with my power. In my setup it made the soundstage calmer and removed the slight hissing S-sounds.

We have tested my SB3/power with an Elctrocompaniet DAC and that sounded awesome."

The power supply unit is a Calex 32005A (http://www.calex.co.uk/oflinpsu.htm) which can be had from Farnell. The box is a Maplin unit.

Well if your Arcam sounds anything like mine its going to take some beating;)
The modded SB sounds very good tbh, much better than the stock unit, I actually tried a Flea XO set to 3.3v, not a big improvement really compared to say when I fitted it in my Arcam but I suppose the SB's are already quite good regarding low jitter.
The better caps, psu and output stage made the biggest difference so far, as stock I found the sound to be small, closed in, it reminded me of a mid priced cdp but once you start modding that does change.
Let us know how you get on with your SB2, it will be nice to keep this thread going.
Make sure you have a good iron and take your time, the track is delicate, mine is ROHS so it was a little more tricky to work on, the only good thing was that my SB3 already had the KE grade dac fitted so can't comment on what difference it makes
Its hard going back to messing about with cd's once you've lived with these units a couple of weeks:D

The reclocked Arcam sounds great, its relegated to the garage/workshop now! I haven't done much SMD work before, but I bought myself a hotair desoldering station a while back for another project.

I've also got an Arcam Blackbox which I'll try on the end of the SB.

Hmm, I've got my new old SB. Unfortunately I didn't check the specs properly and bought a SB1, which in itself isn't such a big problem, except I want to display unicode characters, which is only available from SB2 onwards.

So the search goes on!

I tried fitting a 22uf Oscon SEP + 0.1R on the 3.3v supply for the dac and a 10uf Oscon SP on the VCOM of the dac
The sound has shrunk and sounds a little smoothed over, I'll give it some more running in, not really impressed so far, the ZA's will go back in if theres no improvement:)

I just thought I would post my latest efforts.

I fitted a cooling fan to my power supply, but it was too noisy even with anti vibration mounts or hard mounted.

i have now drilled some holes in the top edge of the side panels. The down side of this is that an idiot could get a thin metal object through the holes and electrocute themselves. I would be interested to know from those who know whether this is an acceptable risk or not. The PSU does now run very cool. I am amazed how effective this method of cooling works. I'll add extra pics to my sad website.

PS also got my finger out and compared my upgraded Quad 405/2 against my Avondale power amplifier. The Avondale clearly is so much better. All instruments are better defined, cymbals are bright and clean. Ethel Shrub's voice is a delight. The bass guitar is clearly defined from the bass drum and the space between instruments is wide and deep. Nothing short of fantastic.

advertisement

Back