advertisement

Spotted in a Bric-à-Brac shop window ...

Yes, Yarborough House is still as good as secondhand record shops used to be when I was young (some time ago).

And Bishop's Castle is well worth a visit - the Kerry Ridgeway close at hand for walkers, the Three Tuns (founded in 1642) brewery/pub for drinkers.

Shropshire takes some beating... but shhhh... don't tell everybody :)

PS does anybody else remember Ives's record shop in Norwich? Is it still there??

We spend every Christmas near there and I always visit Yarborough House. The largest second hand classical music shop I've ever been in. I wouldn't go expecting a bargain as they clearly know every record/CD's true value, but the selection is stunning for old 50s to 80s classical records. I often wonder if it was once the collection of a local obsessive who donated it when they passed away. It is truly representative of every composer and era. No-one is missing and no composer is over represented. Very few if any duplicates. That just isn't normal for a second hand record shop. Either that or it's exceedingly well curated. The condition of everything is also VG+/NM throughout.
Nowhere near as big a secondhand selection as Harold Moores in Soho used to have (much more expensive as well though), but still a good and wide selection. I usually go there everytime I go to stay with friends in Church Stretton, but I didn't get to Yarborough House the last time I went. The last was before lockdown, plenty of CD's, but quite a lot less LP's than previous. I expect a lot of the English Composer LP's like the Lyrita's were probably from one collection. With those the prices for those on HP's (Absolute Sounds) Superdisk list were very high at one point and I think they sold quite a few to Japanese collectors, but they later dropped the prices quite a bit. I managed to get the Maconchy for about £7 I think and some others for a bit less. I got some nice EMI ASD's there as well. :)
The Three Tons, round the corner, is great for beer and food. :):)

Last edited:
Leominster is a bit busier than that these days. If you want quieter....Bishops Castle is a traffic jam when two tractors meet in the street for a chat...
Nice pub/brewery there too. A few rather 'alternative' shops have appeared now - exiles from Glastonbury or Hay-on-Wye?

My favourite place BC. So much going on for a small community.

We spend every Christmas near there and I always visit Yarborough House. The largest second hand classical music shop I've ever been in. I wouldn't go expecting a bargain as they clearly know every record/CD's true value, but the selection is stunning for old 50s to 80s classical records. I often wonder if it was once the collection of a local obsessive who donated it when they passed away. It is truly representative of every composer and era. No-one is missing and no composer is over represented. Very few if any duplicates. That just isn't normal for a second hand record shop. Either that or it's exceedingly well curated. The condition of everything is also VG+/NM throughout.

I like the idea of staying over there/near there over Christmas. We often do a pub crawl in Shrewsbury but I'm sure BC must be rather special at Christmas.

I like the idea of staying over there/near there over Christmas. We often do a pub crawl in Shrewsbury but I'm sure BC must be rather special at Christmas.
We were booked in there for last Xmas, and then Boris put the kibosh on that...

Poco, it's the Three Tuns - a wonderful brewery. Their stout is the best ever and goes down a treat in December :)

Yes, Yarborough House is still as good as secondhand record shops used to be when I was young (some time ago).

And Bishop's Castle is well worth a visit - the Kerry Ridgeway close at hand for walkers, the Three Tuns (founded in 1642) brewery/pub for drinkers.

Shropshire takes some beating... but shhhh... don't tell everybody :)

PS does anybody else remember Ives's record shop in Norwich? Is it still there??

Yarborough House, one of my favourite places, and the town, too. I've not been since before the plague, though, so I hope it's all still going well.

Incidentally, the pictures have disappeared because I cleared some space on the hosting site. I hadn't anticipated this old thread being resurrected !

So much love for Bishops Castle! - not far from me, but not been for a little while - several Yarborough House sourced records are here with me.

Way before I got hitched, me and a mate used to wander over to BC for a lazy afternoon reading the papers in the Three Tuns with a late lunch.

advertisement

Back