advertisement

Spotify strategy

nbaptista

pfm Member
I was waiting for Spotify Hifi, but there is no date to release. So today I subscrbed Tidal.Spotify is loosing clients, I don´t understand the delay on Spotify HiFi!What are the clients of Spotify, kids that listen on smartphones so they don´t need cd quality?

Yep, it's the mass market sheeple who don't give a monkeys about SQ. Exactly the same mass market, who in the past were happy with an Amstrad stack system or Currys/Tescos midi system. Now its Spotify and IEMs and phones or cheap BT speakers.

Imho not good value for money. Perhaps it fares better as a 'family' subscription or whatever they call it nowadays.

Go for Tidal, Quobuz or Amazon higher end tiers instead. The latter good if you are already a Prime subscriber.

I should think Spotify are losing about 100 clients (because of this) a year and implementing hifi will cost them money.

Agree, the percentage of users that want higher quality is probably small. For us there are other options.

Imho not good value for money. Perhaps it fares better as a 'family' subscription or whatever they call it nowadays.

Go for Tidal, Quobuz or Amazon higher end tiers instead. The latter good if you are already a Prime subscriber.
When you consider that Tidal HiFi is the same price as Spotify it really is a no-brainer.
I can only think that it's the UI that members perhaps prefer.

If you are using Roon and I warmly recommend it, the native streaming UI's are not important. I have found that both Tidal and Quobuz have made some progress with regards to user experience but they both come short in some ways.

Most of my listening is done through streaming so I don't mind spending on Roon but I understand that if streaming is not important, it's just another expense.

Currently trying Qobuz for free
Quite impressed
Now just need to get my damned broadband working properly

Spotify is great, sounds great too. Best interface, convenience over quality.

Spotify on the streets, Qobuz between the sheets for me*.

Spotify is great for out and about but Qobuz/Roon at home. I stopped the Spotify sub as an ultimately futile gesture of defiance given their shoddy royalty payments, but rejoined because of the convenience and being able to swap playlists with mates.

*I realise this makes no sense but there you go...

Spotify is great, sounds great too. Best interface, convenience over quality.

I have to disagree. Having done some testing of Qobuz HiRes, Spotify MP3 along with locally held CD quality FLAC and 320mbps MP3s I (and a friend) came to the conclusion that Spotify are doing something that messes up the sound. Could be watermarking, could be poor choice of which mastering is in the catalogue, or something else. But listen to a few things back to back and I think you’ll find this. As it happens we were mostly listening to older titles as that’s my friend’s preference, so if it’s mastering it might be less of an issue with newer releases that are likely to have just the one mastering. But if, as my gut feeling suspects, it’s watermarking it’ll apply more broadly.

Spotify for out and about, Qobuz for proper listening.

Spotify aren’t going to be worried by Audiophiles unsubscribing, a drop in the ocean to them.

Cheers BB

I recently switched from Qobuz and Roon to just Tidal because my minidsp has tidal connect support and more of my preferred music is on tidal. Also not having to run a roon server is nice too. If Spotify gets lossless i will surely check it out though.

advertisement

Back