advertisement

Sports car chat

An update on my car. Whilst trying to find evidence of a missing service (not too happy about that, Porsche dealer, expect strongly worded e-mail) I was going through some early receipts. Seems the original buyer of the car was a Mr R Giggs of Worsley, Manchester. Does that make it more or less valuable? 😂
I’d deep clean the upholstery if I were you.
His sister in law’s juices will be all over it.

Amazing sighting yesterday. We were sat outside the pub after cricket and there was a wonderful howl.....Gordon Murray T50 fan car passing by!
If you've got deep pockets, but not deep enough for a T50, I like the 2014 Ferrari F12 Berlinetta

4cvt4gi1imkycr3780acxye6i.jpg

zj1dwvrjrj5slloriuascjlf.jpg

78jhhcl4wep3gd3d7gtpuh0ht.jpg

New Harry’s Garage with Harry following me into a McLaren 650s from a Lotus Emira. Only difference I I cancelled mine before receiving it.

Just a question, if I may, for any technically competent people on this thread:

I have a 1987 911, with electric windows. The passenger side window is controlled by a toggle switch on the passenger door, and a toggle switch on the driver's door. The passenger side switch sends the window up and down OK. But the driver's side switch makes it go up and down very slowly. I think this means there is some extra resistance in the driver's side switch. But if this activates a relay, rather than sending electricity directly to the window motor, it should not make any difference. Just wondering if anyone has any ideas before I fork out money for a new switch.
Thanks!
Just discovered that there is no relay, it is direct. So it should be the switch that has acquired some corrosion/resistance.

The only manufacturer who do attractive front engined high performance GTs is Aston Martin,
I have a preconception that Aston Martins are unreliable, this was enhanced by the Theatre Promoter (I forget her name but her and her husband have Reg Nos 2B and Not 2B) who said she loved driving her Aston on the odd occasion it wasn’t at the garage.

My business partner (considerably richer than me!) is desperate to get one and thinks I’m talking sh1te!

Cheers BB

I have a preconception that Aston Martins are unreliable, this was enhanced by the Theatre Promoter (I forget her name but her and her husband have Reg Nos 2B and Not 2B) who said she loved driving her Aston on the odd occasion it wasn’t at the garage.

My business partner (considerably richer than me!) is desperate to get one and thinks I’m talking sh1te!

Cheers BB
When we were picking up our 911 from the dealership back in 2015, we were chatting to another customer who was collecting her brand new Cayman. She’d had Astons for many years, loved the sounds and looks, but after a change in career, she needed something reliable. Quite a statement.

I suspect the newer Astons with the AMG engines will be in a different league.

They are mostly AMG-Mecedes under the skin.

I think the perception of unreliability probably comes from the seventies/eighties cars.

The later cars under Ford and then AMG-Mercedes don't have such a bad reputation as far as I know.

As a company, it seems to be a bit flaky in various respects and seem to be teetering on the edge financially. That might result in difficulties getting spareparts supply for the older cars.

I LOVE the new cars, which isn't an opinion shared by all, but I hink they have done a fantastic job with the limited resources they have.

It's a bit off-topic, but it is absolutely intriging from a psychological point of view.

In design and development terms, using well-proven components from another manufacturer is EXACTLY what you want to do, but some customers completely flip-out over the idea that it's not a "real" bespoke Aston motor.

The problem is that with the low volumes that Aston make, you don't have that in-depth confidencethat comes with producing the same number of parts in one week instead of one year.

I knew a guy with a 2010-ish Aston. Every month he had to send an engine oil sample to the factory so they could have it analysed for debris etc. Why the actual ***k would you spend a shed load of money on a pretty car that spent more time having oil samples taken than it did being driven on the road?

Making your own engine in the 50s and 60s was fine. Design it, build it, make it run ok, tell the world it it has 240bhp when it really doesn’t, make some money. Doesn’t work like that now.

I knew a guy with a 2010-ish Aston. Every month he had to send an engine oil sample to the factory so they could have it analysed for debris etc. Why the actual ***k would you spend a shed load of money on a pretty car that spent more time having oil samples taken than it did being driven on the road?

Making your own engine in the 50s and 60s was fine. Design it, build it, make it run ok, tell the world it it has 240bhp when it really doesn’t, make some money. Doesn’t work like that now.

Nothing quite as sad as a car sitting in a garage going nowhere; i always tried to use a tank full of petrol per month when i had a classic.

During lockdown i got in the habit of going to less places so sold it. New owner's restored it a bit and is putting on some miles so i'm vaguely happy most of the time.

Cat used to be big on Used Oil Analysis; makes more sense when you're running a £1m machine taking a drum of expensive oil.

advertisement

Back