advertisement

Sports car chat

I am getting seriously hacked off with further delays to my already 2.5 year wait for the Lotus Emira (AMG engine version). I am getting cold feet and considering bailing out and getting something else. Humph, this is supposed to be fun!
Gary, hi

I'd follow through if it's a keeper but perhaps not if I wasn't as resale at the moment is very low and all the refinancing pain is hitting prices hard. Makes no difference to me as I have one car I bought in 2018 that's a keeper and one I bought in 2023. Both I could buy 'cheaper' today, but I'm not selling and I enjoy them and hope to keep for many years, so happy.

But if I was financing a new car and not intending to realistically keep for a very long time, I'd be thinking differently about a new car

I am getting seriously hacked off with further delays to my already 2.5 year wait for the Lotus Emira (AMG engine version). I am getting cold feet and considering bailing out and getting something else. Humph, this is supposed to be fun!
Why? I have seen a few about, no idea which engine type. Is it because you chose the 2 litre?

Is that running 15" wheels front and rear but with high profile tyres?
It was running 15” all round with standard profile tyres. Lowered suspension on coil overs. I had zero issues running a square setup like this despite the dire warnings on the forums that I would die if I didn’t run a staggered setup! It was an epic little car.

Why? I have seen a few about, no idea which engine type. Is it because you chose the 2 litre?

Yes, another serious delay to the i4 2l AMG engined version. Rumours abound but suspected to be due to admin cockups on Lotus side. Was supposed to be August 2023, then Sept, then Oct Then Q1 2024 now "by summer"

Gary, hi

I'd follow through if it's a keeper but perhaps not if I wasn't as resale at the moment is very low and all the refinancing pain is hitting prices hard. Makes no difference to me as I have one car I bought in 2018 that's a keeper and one I bought in 2023. Both I could buy 'cheaper' today, but I'm not selling and I enjoy them and hope to keep for many years, so happy.

But if I was financing a new car and not intending to realistically keep for a very long time, I'd be thinking differently about a new car

Hi, yes it would be a keeper just not feeling the love currently and tempted by older and faster toys

Hi, yes it would be a keeper just not feeling the love currently and tempted by older and faster toys

If I sold one of my two I'd go backwards to an earlier car. I think the sweet spot is 2000-2012 or so. manual, hydraulic steering, buttons on the console not the steering wheel, gauges not displays and not too big and heavy. Earlier are cool too, but you are then balancing age, cost to renovate and you miss some potentially worthwhile development

I cancelled my V6 Emira as got hacked off with being messed around by Lotus regarding delivery dates. Looking at the terrible residual values, it's not a decision I regret for a moment. I read today they're replacing it in 2027 with an all-electric sports car.

I cancelled my V6 Emira as got hacked off with being messed around by Lotus regarding delivery dates. Looking at the terrible residual values, it's not a decision I regret for a moment. I read today they're replacing it in 2027 with an all-electric sports car.

Kind of makes me sad as I really wanted to love Lotus and I am sure the car is great but I don’t want to reward their complete shitshow of company mismanagement. There are no excuses for how they have dealt with the constant delays and dismal communication. Delays I can cope with as Covid was almost impossible to work around but their lack of concern to the customer who have had deposits or so sitting with them for nearly 3 years now.

Kind of makes me sad as I really wanted to love Lotus and I am sure the car is great but I don’t want to reward their complete shitshow of company mismanagement. There are no excuses for how they have dealt with the constant delays and dismal communication. Delays I can cope with as Covid was almost impossible to work around but their lack of concern to the customer who have had deposits or so sitting with them for nearly 3 years now.

One wonders how the owner's experience with the company differs from that after they actually take delivery of a car?

One wonders how the owner's experience with the company differs from that after they actually take delivery of a car?

Not great either from the Emira forum. Lots of early issues as well but cars seem more sorted now. Several folks who have had real trouble getting warranty work done with Lotus arguing the toss. Most seem to have eventually got sorted but hard fought process.

I thought this was interesting!

This is why I bought my 991.1 GT3 used 4 years after it was sold. I waited until the spec I would have bought was available, mint under 4k miles and under list. I did the trying to buy a 991.2 GT3 new at the same time. Laughed at and guess what at the time I was looking and production of the 991.2 GT3 finished the most cars of any model available on the Porsche web site used was the 991.2 GT3 37 cars available all bar 6 with under 2k miles and flipped. It's all about the money and nothing to do with the enthusiast. I am so glad the used prices are tumbling and the flippers who have no interest in the cars are in bed with the dealers (Don't think they are not working together more openly than this suggests) might get there fingers burnt with a load of finance on the cars that are not selling as quickly as hoped and less overs than they expected. Plus Porsche are making far more cars so the market might be in for a surprise for the 992 GT3 (Not the RS too smaller production numbers I think)

I love the cars but hate the tarnish of all this flipping and elitism, go old and avoid the dealer rubbish. You want to feel special buying a new car not a dumb cash rich idiot

This is why I bought my 991.1 GT3 used 4 years after it was sold. I waited until the spec I would have bought was available, mint under 4k miles and under list. I did the trying to buy a 991.2 GT3 new at the same time. Laughed at and guess what at the time I was looking and production of the 991.2 GT3 finished the most cars of any model available on the Porsche web site used was the 991.2 GT3 37 cars available all bar 6 with under 2k miles and flipped. It's all about the money and nothing to do with the enthusiast. I am so glad the used prices are tumbling and the flippers who have no interest in the cars are in bed with the dealers (Don't think they are not working together more openly than this suggests) might get there fingers burnt with a load of finance on the cars that are not selling as quickly as hoped and less overs than they expected. Plus Porsche are making far more cars so the market might be in for a surprise for the 992 GT3 (Not the RS too smaller production numbers I think)

I love the cars but hate the tarnish of all this flipping and elitism, go old and avoid the dealer rubbish. You want to feel special buying a new car not a dumb cash rich idiot
I have two friends who have drifted apart over a Purosangue. Flipper has one on order, rich pal wanted one, flipper refuses to sell to him on grounds he’ll lose his status at the dealer. It’s all about the money when they sell back to dealer way over list. Flipper has spent years kissing butt and doing man maths to get his “status” in the invite queue for each new car.

If it makes him happy then great but it feeds his narcissism. Or am I jealous? 🤣

Yes, another serious delay to the i4 2l AMG engined version. Rumours abound but suspected to be due to admin cockups on Lotus side. Was supposed to be August 2023, then Sept, then Oct Then Q1 2024 now "by summer"

I know it wont be the new car event, but one of the later Evora 410 manuals would be an awesome car IMO. If it ticks the boxes obviously.

Even the last of the line 400s looks good value in comparison to the Emira

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I can't get overly excited about the car. I can never afford one, so getting excited doesn't really yield much for me anyway!

It looks to me like market research overtook innovation. It looks really nice but it also looks like a generic supercar design.

And as I understand they lied about it being an all new design. I've seen a YouTube video that puts images of the Evora chassis next to it. It looks the same. So it might just as well be called Evora mk2. Back to market research ...the Evora name seems tarnished, so that would never do.

And it's quite a heavy car. I've had a 71 Elan and that was light! But it seems the Chapman philosophy was completely thrown out. And that's a bit of a negative for me.

Put it next to an Alpine, I think the Alpine wins. Put it next to a similarly priced Cayman....hmm I'm not sure.

Am I the only person on PFM with a Caterham? I have not seen much mention about them here, apart from an Elise being more practical.

Having been away on a three week holiday in mine, and also having used it as a daily driver, I am happy with it being practical for my needs.

I have owned the car for 21 years now, and still love the driving experience. I don't think you can beat it.

advertisement

Back