advertisement

Speeding Offences

During the early part of the lockdown when there were very few cars on the roadsome people took considerable liberties. Even in our road which has a 20 mph limit and speed bumps it was noticeable how much faster some of the few cars were.

Both not surprised and surprised by this :). Not surprised as it’s very obvious drivers are travelling faster while the roads have been quiet, but then the lack of policing has been obvious too.

The interesting question is: Has the fatalities gone up? My educated guess it's gone down.
I haven’t investigated the stats but I live on the Chester Rd, a few miles north of Erdington where this occurred, but early on in lockdow, there were several regular offenders easily doing double the speed limit on a very regular basis, and a couple of days before this incident, I said to my daughter, “someone will be killed at this rate”, and well...

https://www.expressandstar.com/news...-13-dies-after-being-hit-by-car-in-erdington/

PS, he was my friend’s nephew, I witnessed the utter devastation from this horrendous incident, no excusing driving like a dick because the roads are quieter, it’s not a victimless crime.

Last edited:
My daughter reckons she has been caught speeding on the M1.

She hasn't fessed up to the penalty yet, I am hoping it is a speed awareness course. Real life guesstimate is 3 points and a fine... I don't think she was doing a ton.

Of my three kids (2 boys 1 girl) my daughter is by far the speed enthusiast. My fault probably, she was the one child who always wanted to go faster when I took her out on my bike/s.

(FZ 750, Gixxer 750, XS 1100 VFR 750 etc. (most of them 'street fightered...'))

I have heard more folk speeding. Cars and bikes.

I have also heard a lot more emergency vehicle sirens

It'll be an element of being able to speed (due to lower traffic density in what are usually very crowded roads) plus the police having more time on their hands I expect. I suspect there are plenty people out there that, in urban areas at least, only have their speeds checked by the speed of the other traffic.

My daughter reckons she has been caught speeding on the M1.

She hasn't fessed up to the penalty yet, I am hoping it is a speed awareness course. Real life guesstimate is 3 points and a fine... I don't think she was doing a ton.

If she was doing over the ton then she may well get a short ban, and if just under I don't think there is much chance of getting a speed awareness course and instead might get more than 3 points.

Early in the lockdown I drove to my daughter's house in Worsley, Salford. (To deliver some hand gel etc., for her partner who is a key worker/driver) There was next to nothing on the roads, so nothing to delay people and my progress was rapid even within the limits. Yet, I spent much of the journey with assorted idiots 'all over me' desperate to pass.
There were numerous bright yellow temporary signs from Manchester Police bearing the simple legend 'Traffic Has Changed.. The Speed Limit Hasn't'.

If she was doing over the ton then she may well get a short ban, and if just under I don't think there is much chance of getting a speed awareness course and instead might get more than 3 points.

My guess is about 80-85 mph.

The speedo readout is alway out, a displayed 80 in my car is about 74. Her car is a tatty vauxhall astra. I don't think it was a mobile unit. She is cagey about the detail because she was niffed about it all when she told me. If I had pressed her she would have come on all pissy with me = not worth it o_O

During the early part of the lockdown when there were very few cars on the roadsome people took considerable liberties. Even in our road which has a 20 mph limit and speed bumps it was noticeable how much faster some of the few cars were.

Indeed. Triple fatality in Cumbria last week as a direct result of lockdown. Family out for a walk they may well not normally have taken, combined with idiotic driving.

I live in a rural area. There are far more pedestrians, including many children. Far more cyclists, some very fast, far more motorcyclists.. again.. some very fast. Fewer cars, many driven much faster than usual, and finally a perception of more delivery drivers and white vans than usual.. all seemingly in a huge hurry. Add in the increase in farm vehicles on the roads at this time of year and it's a recipe for disaster.

Strangely, it's probable that the OP's daughter was the least worst offender, being on a presumably fairly quiet motorway.

I was caught doing 85 on the A50 last year. Bang to rights, couldn't argue, but I will forever contend that I was less dangerous on a near empty dual carriageway with no crossroads, pedestrians etc., and perfect conditions, than some knob passing a school crossing at 30 or more in a 20 limit.

My guess is about 80-85 mph.

The speedo readout is alway out, a displayed 80 in my car is about 74. Her car is a tatty vauxhall astra. I don't think it was a mobile unit. She is cagey about the detail because she was niffed about it all when she told me. If I had pressed her she would have come on all pissy with me = not worth it o_O

As you say the speedo reading is always out, some years ago I was driving from Crawley to Horsham on dual carriageway at a steady indicated 80 mph, a colleague followed me fairly close behind on his 900cc Kawasaki.

When we talked later he said "Blimey you were going some, I had to do 115 to keep up"

Indeed. Triple fatality in Cumbria last week as a direct result of lockdown. Family out for a walk they may well not normally have taken, combined with idiotic driving.

I live in a rural area. There are far more pedestrians, including many children. Far more cyclists, some very fast, far more motorcyclists.. again.. some very fast. Fewer cars, many driven much faster than usual, and finally a perception of more delivery drivers and white vans than usual.. all seemingly in a huge hurry. Add in the increase in farm vehicles on the roads at this time of year and it's a recipe for disaster.

Strangely, it's probable that the OP's daughter was the least worst offender, being on a presumably fairly quiet motorway.

I was caught doing 85 on the A50 last year. Bang to rights, couldn't argue, but I will forever contend that I was less dangerous on a near empty dual carriageway with no crossroads, pedestrians etc., and perfect conditions, than some knob passing a school crossing at 30 or more in a 20 limit.
Absolutely, the young lad who lost his life up the road from me was crossing the road with his family, who were out for a walk... that stretch of road is a 30 limit... the car that struck him was going a bit more than that!

I’m not going to lie, I speed sometimes, but more so on a wide open dual carriageway or motorway and not to ridiculous excesses. I used to sometimes break the speed limits on regular roads, again, not by crazy amounts... but I partially grew out of it with age and driving experience and also, my father is a collision investigator, I’ve heard enough to keep me sensible.

advertisement

Back