advertisement

Speakers to better Proac Response 1SC

If you'd like to stick to ProAc, I'd recommend listening to the latest incarnation of the 1SC, which is the DB1.

Alternatively, there is also the slightly cheaper DB3 you can consider, or the new Tablette 10 which by most accounts is a cracking little speaker.

Hi, would like to check if you still have the DB1? Have you compared it to the Tablette 10 Signature? The DB1 looks pretty solid, a slightly larger but considerably heavier speaker than the Tab 10 Sigs so I would expect the sound to be larger than life with better bass response.

Something to better 1SC for £1k? Absolutely no chance. It’s one of the best speakers ever made in my view and I’d happily live with a pair in place of my Shahinian Hawks even if I did lose a fair bit of bass. They’d be around £4k nowadays, so I’d look in that range and up if you want better.

Be careful what you wish for, the 1sc is a legendary speaker, only pure luck will give something even comparable, let alone better, for 1k. I do recall a 1sc owner who stated it was bettered by the Tablette Anniversary, but that is just one opinion and it is out of production, but you might find one in that budget.

The Tablette 10 is a completely different kind of speaker, I really can’t see you preferring that, especially for rock.

Current closest equivalent is DB1, it’s a good speaker, but over double your budget.

As for ATC, hmm, so very different sounding, kind of the anti-Proac.

I have a pair of 1SC up in the attic….loved them and replaced them with a pair of SBLs. have been toying lately with the idea of getting them down from the attic and giving them a blast…but not sure I can live without the sbl bass….

I agree with many regarding the 1SC. I’ve heard them with a few amps, Naim, Avondale, Audio Research and they always gave more or responded to the change in some way. However, they sound absolutely phenomenal with VTL amps, an extraordinary combination.

In my view Tyler really created some witchcraft around this time. The drivers aren’t anything high tech or even top drawer but my word he got the best out of them.

advertisement

Back