advertisement

Speakers to better Proac Response 1SC

neilo7

One day I'll stop upgrading
I've got the upgrade bug again. This time it's the speakers I'm looking to replace. I'm looking suggestions on some thing that will better the Proac Response 1SC. They are the older model with screws at the rear. Most types of models and types would be considered. Bonuses would be front ported or sealed boxes but that's not essential. Floorstanders as long as they are not higher than 90cm and stand mounts around the same as the Proacs. Used seems to be the way to go for getting a bargain. My budget is £1k. Totem Model 1 signatures would be a first option but are getting very hard to find. All suggestions are welcome before an August purchase.

Thanks

The 1sc is a fine speaker; not sure you'll better it for that budget. You'll probably end up with something different, not better.

I'd take a look at ATC SCM11 curved. An excellent speaker. Infinite baffle. Quite different from the Proac and may well be "better" to your ears.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I've got the upgrade bug again. This time it's the speakers I'm looking to replace. I'm looking suggestions on some thing that will better the Proac Response 1SC. They are the older model with screws at the rear. Most types of models and types would be considered. Bonuses would be front ported or sealed boxes but that's not essential. Floorstanders as long as they are not higher than 90cm and stand mounts around the same as the Proacs. Used seems to be the way to go for getting a bargain. My budget is £1k. Totem Model 1 signatures would be a first option but are getting very hard to find. All suggestions are welcome before an August purchase.

Thanks

You make no mention of the rest of your system, the size of your room, your tastes in music/audio or what you are trying to achieve. It is therefore difficult to make informed, worthwhile recommendations. There are lots of options at £1K but we need more information.

Thanks

There are good speakers and bad speakers, though a perfect speaker does not exist. I do not have experience with the Totem Model 1 Signature but have listened to the Model 1 (non-Signature) in my system. In my mind it is far from being perfect. Exuberant and lively sounding speaker but unrefined.

Both the suggested AE1 & SCM11 require massive power amplication to run properly

Both are way different anyway, I'd personally pick the ATC anyday of the week

Agree the room size does matter too

If OP is happy with Proac why not stay in their range ?

Totems are way different and amp demanding too.

Both the suggested AE1 & SCM11 require massive power amplication to run properly

Not so sure that's the case with the latest iterations. I tried the AE1 a few years ago and could easily make the MF/LF driver reach its stop-end with some bass heavy music. That was with, Lyngdorf TDAi integrated and naim SuperNait1

Rest of the system is Supernait 2 with Squeezebox. Also have a couple of mono blocs at around 70wpc. Room is average size (I've never measured it). Might add there's nothing wrong with the sound of the proacs but as with the hifi upgrading bug you always want more.

Excellent amp, my SU is basically the same design (but with a built in streamer). Drives the ProAc SM100s brilliantly. Shouldn't have an issue with the two I linked to above.

I still think the ProAc Response 1SC a very good speaker, I had them quite some time ago and thoroughly enjoyed them. An important factor is their stands.

Have you got them on a very high mass stand like the Target thingy you can barley lift? If not I'd do that first as that will really get the best from them.

If moving on, Yamaha NS1000 would be my suggestion.

I've had the Model One Signatures before and they are a very good speaker albeit I am not sure they will improve on what you have. I found their metal dome tweeter could get a little edgy with some material.

I would look at the Kudos X3's that Peter Tyson have as a special offer at the moment at a smidgen over your budget. Cracking speaker in my opinion and would go well with your Naim gear.

Or some Neat Iota Alphas that Strictly Stereo have on offer for something a bit different.

Rest of the system is Supernait 2 with Squeezebox. Also have a couple of mono blocs at around 70wpc. Room is average size (I've never measured it). Might add there's nothing wrong with the sound of the proacs but as with the hifi upgrading bug you always want more.

Sounds like you are looking for a change as much as you are an upgrade, nothing wrong with that. The 1SC's are very good speakers and competitive with the vast majority of what's available under £1K. The suggestion to upgrade your stands is a very good one. ProAc stand mounted speakers respond to quality, high-mass stands like no other speaker brand I know (with some brands it makes little difference). I would take a look at the HMS range by Atacama which has been designed in conjunction with ProAc.

Cereal Killers recommendation of the linked Acoustic Energy Reference 2's is a good one. I suspect they will offer greater scale and low end extension. They are based on the highly regarded, earlier AE studio models. They were apparently designed and voiced using Naim amplification. If you could acquire them with an offer close to £1K, I suspect they would be a safe bet.

I've had the Model one signatures before myself and would again. Current speakers are on Dreadnaught stands. Sound wonderful, but again it's that old 'could I get better' thought.

Can I ask you a question, if you've a streaming only system (I assume) why not pocket some change and swap the SuperNait2 for a SuperUniti..?

Much better interface and streaming tech than an SB, what DAC are you using?

advertisement

Back