advertisement

Speakers that work well with NAP250

Linn SARAs work well with an olive NAP250
Cliff,
Do you use SARA's?
If you do they are best up close to a wall.
Something to try for anyone that uses SARAs
Get four wine making corks,The ones with holes in and a length of wooden doweling.
Cut it to the right length and glue a bit shy of both cork ends.
So it fits into the two corks from the top middle of the SARA back and is a nice tight wedge/fit between the SARA box and wall.
You will be amazed at the difference in SQ for the better.

A even quicker simple test is just get a thick kitchen roll/ foil cardboard tube and cut to size and wedge between speaker and wall.

I see quite a few suggesting SBLs, I tried them many years ago when I first got my Naim amps and dont remember them being that good. But it sounds like I may well have needed to spend more time on setting them up.

I see quite a few suggesting SBLs, I tried them many years ago when I first got my Naim amps and dont remember them being that good. But it sounds like I may well have needed to spend more time on setting them up.

Like everything in life. Well worth the effort. Some speakers do some things better e.g. Horns & vocals but the sbl does all well, and can rock out

I've used Neat Ultimatum MFSs & ProAc Response 1S/Cs with my NAP250.2 & both worked extremely well. I'm considering Naim Ovator 600s... ��

Like everything in life. Well worth the effort. Some speakers do some things better e.g. Horns & vocals but the sbl does all well, and can rock out

Indeed, but, like most 'back to the wall' speakers, don't major on imaging/holographics They are also on the cool (neutral?) side in presentation.

Plenty for me to try here, having had a few SBL suggestions, I am surprised no-one went for Isobariks. Worth a try before I fork out on more modern alternatives ? Or do I need a huge room, mine is about 17'x15' ?

Plenty for me to try here, having had a few SBL suggestions, I am surprised no-one went for Isobariks. Worth a try before I fork out on more modern alternatives ? Or do I need a huge room, mine is about 17'x15' ?

Because, good as the 250 was with Briks, it was the 135s which really drove them. I had both couplings in passive form on early Briks.

17' x 15' is not far off square, which isn't ideal; plenty of width but not much depth. However, not a massive room to fill, but it does exclude rear-ported speakers, I'd say. Electrostatics like a bit of width to image well, and you could get big ones in there, as they only need 3 feet or so behind them.

I have to say I always thought Kabers were a terrible speaker.

I used to own Kabers and a lovely pair of Kan 1s. I often swapped them and was always pleased to get the Kabers back in. Similar signature to the Kans but just much better; more of everything. I really cannot understand how the Kans have such a following but the Kabers not.

That said, I wouldn't want either back and have moved on to Spendor and Kef (I'm getting older).;)

I'll second Dynaudio. You'd definitely get Contour 1.3SE for that money, maybe even close to the newer 1.4. FWIW, I prefer the 1.3.

Not torqued them up but did change the nipples about 18 months ago. They have been apart a few times so i wouldn't be surprised if they could do with a new set as each time the top gets placed down they get a little flatter. I am not even sure they were torque tested when i got them so maybe i should borrow a torque wrench!

I have a small torque wtench for my speakers....i could drop by sometime to let you use it.

Jo

I have heard the 250 with almost anything, from Linn Isobariks to Sonus Faber Elipsa or Amati Futura, from Harbeth HP3ESRs to M.40s, from Magico S1 to cheap floor standers made for Home Theatre, and it always sounds the same: rich, creamy but fast, dynamic and able to sound much louder than 70 watts or so.
I don't think there are speakers that will make it sound much better or much different than others, but perhaps some will do the magic and make a unique pairing, and that should be experienced in your room...

I believe than many - if not any - speakers will sound very good with a Nap 250, choose one you like and the 250 will surely extract a large percentage of its potential from it.

Shahinian Arcs go very well. An oldish pair might be obtainable for a grand or less. Those who say Shahinians are hard to drive are talking about Obelisks and above - the Arcs are easily driven by a 250.

Update for you.
I am trying out some SBLs, so far I am struggling with the lack of bass and power after having GR20s. They sound lovely with some acoustic or vocal (not tried classical yet ). But when you throw rock or anything with heavy bass lines I find myself cranking up the volume to make up for the lack of punch and then things just get harsh and bright.

I have tried extending the spikes, toeing in slightly, with and without silicone, as tight to the wall as wires will allow and slightly further out ( 4 inches ) but nothing is generating enough bass or power. If i can change the crossover arrangement maybe so I can get them even closer to the wall, but skirting limits it to a couple of inches.

Any suggestions for other experiments with SBLs before I give up and try something else ?

Shahinian Arcs go very well. An oldish pair might be obtainable for a grand or less. Those who say Shahinians are hard to drive are talking about Obelisks and above - the Arcs are easily driven by a 250.

Indeed.

My little Nait 2 had no trouble driving Arcs!

Update for you.
I am trying out some SBLs, so far I am struggling with the lack of bass and power after having GR20s. They sound lovely with some acoustic or vocal (not tried classical yet ). But when you throw rock or anything with heavy bass lines I find myself cranking up the volume to make up for the lack of punch and then things just get harsh and bright.

I have tried extending the spikes, toeing in slightly, with and without silicone, as tight to the wall as wires will allow and slightly further out ( 4 inches ) but nothing is generating enough bass or power. If i can change the crossover arrangement maybe so I can get them even closer to the wall, but skirting limits it to a couple of inches.

Any suggestions for other experiments with SBLs before I give up and try something else ?

sounds familiar

the only cure for that is a second NAP250 and running them active. The passive crossover sucks the bass out of the system

advertisement

Back