advertisement

Speakers that can work well close to a wall

The Heco Direkts certainly have interested me, they would probably be one of the speaker choices for me to demo if I was back in that mode. I think they could be a very good match for my Croft pre/amps. The price certainly is a cheaper when compared to kind of similar designs as Devore, Trenner and others.

The Audio Barn where I got them from also stock the Larsen so perhaps they like a type of sound.
I didn't listen to the Larsen having had omni directionals in the past, I do like a bit more focus.

The Heco do have some of the elements of a an omni speaker to my ears though.

They paint a broad, relaxed, and big sound for a forward firing speaker but with that bit of focus.

I'm running mine happily with an Oto SE but am tempted to put a big solid state integrated up them to see how they fair :D.

Martin, sounds like the characteristics that I tend to like, and I would also say, very similar to Larsens.

I too have had Omni's in the past, Ohm Walsh, Shahinian Obelisk etc., and while the Larsens do similar things too, they do kind of have their own way about it. I do tend to like Omni-Omni types of speakers, I also have a pair of Shahinian Larcs which are fairly unfussy to site.

Anyway, I shouldn't take this all too far off topic, back to the OP!

I got a pre-owned pair of the Larsen 4 about 2 months and they are such musical things. Previously all my speakers were stand mounts with the Larsens replacing some Elac BS203 anniversary.

The presentation did seem odd at first, whilst I was used to having the music projected at me the Larsen's serve it up spread out on a plate, is the only way I can describe it.

However once used to this I just find myself wanting to actually listen and enjoy my music collection more. I don't think I'd go back to a traditional speaker style now.

Those Larsons are truly amazing, I heard them at the Bristol Show this year and they really did blow everything out the water. You will be better going for the 8 as they have the 2nd driver built in the bottom for greater bass extention, they go really deep and clear.

I heard that SBLs don't like plasterboard walls though....

Apologies, I really should have read your post more carefully.

Thinking about it though, will any speaker be happy backed up to a small cavity (if that's what we're inferring by plasterboard)?

Is there any option to fill the cavity? I've never had to do so, but it can't be that hard?

Speakers that are designed to be placed close to a wall 'should' have a frequency response that takes account for the reinforcement provided by the wall.
That's why boundary filters are such a good idea, they tailor the speakers response according to placement, more bass in free field ,less against a wall and even less when positioned in a corner where the reinforcement is greatest.
Keith

Speakers that are designed to be placed close to a wall 'should' have a frequency response that takes account for the reinforcement provided by the wall.
That's why boundary filters are such a good idea, they tailor the speakers response according to placement, more bass in free field ,less against a wall and even less when positioned in a corner where the reinforcement is greatest
But boundary filters and omitting baffle step correction from the crossover cannot correct for the large detrimental effect of the sound reflecting off the front wall and strongly cancelling with the direct sound at few lowish frequencies. All competent on wall speakers will need to be designed to avoid this and I am not sure many, if any, of the speakers recommend so far do so. Options are things like a cardioid radiation pattern, very wide and smooth baffle to get close to flush mounting, woofers on the top/side/bottom next to the wall and the midrange on the front,...

I have a pair of Allison 6 cube stand mounted speakers and a pair of Allison 3 corner speakers, Allison's are designed to be within 3" of a wall and are what is known as room coupled, mine are over 30 years old, but they still sound fantastic to me and as far as I am aware there is a pair of 3's and a pair of 1's on fleabay at the moment, albeit the 3's are mispelt "Alison 3".
cheers Al

Denim-I like the way you described the Larsen, spread out on a plate! Couldn't have said it any better.

For what it is worth, one can argue about the technology and design of anything, and how this can't seem to work, but the proof of the pudding comes down to the listening. If it works for you, fine, if not, there are countless other designs out there and more ways to skin the cat.

Denim-I like the way you described the Larsen, spread out on a plate! Couldn't have said it any better.

For what it is worth, one can argue about the technology and design of anything, and how this can't seem to work, but the proof of the pudding comes down to the listening. If it works for you, fine, if not, there are countless other designs out there and more ways to skin the cat.

Definately. I spent yesterday afternoon going through the first 4 Frank Black albums, just thinking dang I've never enjoyed them more and they just sound so good.

The new Proacs look interesting, as do the Kralks, Spendor D1 and the Teddy Pardo SP1S. But I've been used to full-sized speakers for the last 18 years or so and I do like a bit of bass so my first preference is for floor mounters. (my last stand mount speakers were Royd Sapphires, which worked right up against the wall - but I don't want to go back there).

My Decware ERR speakers can go reasonably close to the walls, I have them about 6 inches away. They do sound better pulled out but happy enough not to bother shifting them about.

Lots of good suggestions, most with very different characteristics to your Ninkas, so lots of listening would be sensible.

In the meantime, a pair of Kans will stop you from bashing your elbow...

A set of Larsen 6 speakers are coming to my house next week for a home dem - I'll let you know how I get on...

The Larsen 6.2 speakers arrived on Friday afternoon, but I had a hectic weekend (competing in 2 rallies) so I haven't had much chance to spend time listening to them. But, from the listening I have done I'm very impressed. The bass on these goes amazingly deep for such a small speaker (way lower than the larger Ninkas) and yet it is very tuneful. As a keen (but useless) drumming student I'm particularly impressed with the way these allow you to hear exactly what the drummer is up to. I also like the way they present the music - I didn't find any difficulty in adjusting to the stereo imaging, I find this aspect of their presentation very natural. Downsides? - On some tracks I find the presentation to be a touch bright and occasionally voices can sound a little reticent, however I haven't done any experimentation on placement yet so I may be able to sort that out by moving the speakers closer together or further apart. They have no spikes so moving them is very simple indeed - they just plonk down on the carpet!

advertisement

Back