advertisement

Speakers that can work well close to a wall

Konteebos

Surfing on the lake of fire
It has been some time since I have posted on here - mostly because I've been pretty happy with my hi-fi - which is Naim ND5XS, SuperNAIT (with Teddy Pardo PS) and Linn Ninkas. However, the addition of an E-Drum kit into my listening room means that I need to re-locate my speakers as my elbow hits the Ninkas when I go for the Floor Tom. While the Ninkas don't sound horrible close to the wall (they need to be less that 8 inches away from the rear wall to get them out of my way) - they sound much better with a bit more space behind them. My first thought was that a set of SBLs would be ideal, but I have plasterboard walls and I have read that they sound at their best with solid walls behind them. Does anyone have suggestions for other speakers that were designed top work well close to a rear wall?
Another option would be speakers that aren't tall enough to be in the way of my flailing elbows - those new Neat Iota Alphas look promising, does anyone have any other suggestions?

The classic Boston Acoustic models are great for that. The A-150 is quite well-liked. They went for more-width-less-depth in the cab dimensions, and less intrusion into the room was a selling-point. Being acoustic-suspension designs, there are no rear-opening ports....

SBLs and SL2s are specifically designed to be hard up against the wall.

It's one of the reasons I'm using SBLs at the moment.

Depending on budget, any one of the Larsens, Model 4, 6, 8, designed to go hard up against the wall, and the wall material behind them doesn't seem to matter much if any at all.

I started a similar thread earlier this year, but the focus for me was which speakers should be placed close to a rear wall. There seem to be many speakers that can work close to a wall, including my then ATC 7s, but I felt if I was going to put speakers on the wall, they should be intended to work close to a wall.

The upshot of all that is I bought two pairs of Kralk Audio BC-30 speakers (one pair to use as rear speakers in my 4.0 setup) and four months down the line, I remain as satisfied now as I was when I first got them as they're neighbour friendly, look good, fit perfectly on my Sound Org. brackets and of course, have that all important boogie factor in spades :)

IMG_0004_zpschhwmrbh.jpg

IMG_0007_zpshrq2ovjr.jpg

I use AE301, work really well close to the wall plus the designer designed these around the supernait. My amps UQ into NAP100 sound great.

The OP mentioned Neat Iotas, I have Neat Petite SX, which are really great standmounts full stop, working fine about 35cm from wall to back of cabinet, no bungs in (there are two rear firing ports). There's a Malcolm Stewart review of them where he says they're intended to work "close to the back wall", I never know what that actually means in distance but I imagine where I have mine.

Just noticed earlier today that they have been discontinued (I did wonder if that was coming).

Thanks for all the input, I'm most intrigued by the Larsen speakers - my budget could run to the 6, but reading between the lines it doesn't seem to offer much over the 4. Unfortunately there don't seem to be many dealers in the UK, Mains-Cables-R-us are advertising them and have a 30 day returns policy, so that is an option...

K-I cannot say on the differences between the Larsen 4 and 6. I have not heard the 6, but have owned the Model 4 for almost 4 years and am very happy with them. I would say for the most part, they are the least fussy speaker I have owned in a long time. Maybe not the detail demon of a speaker, and reasonable fit and finish for the price they are, but just a really good all around speaker that you can fit and forget. I find them to be a very natural sounding speaker, and every time I try something different, it isn't long before the Larsens are back, so I have kind of given up trying to find anything else!

Enjoy your journey, there are a lot of good recommendations above, so many choices! Have fun!

K-I cannot say on the differences between the Larsen 4 and 6. I have not heard the 6, but have owned the Model 4 for almost 4 years and am very happy with them. I would say for the most part, they are the least fussy speaker I have owned in a long time. Maybe not the detail demon of a speaker, and reasonable fit and finish for the price they are, but just a really good all around speaker that you can fit and forget. I find them to be a very natural sounding speaker, and every time I try something different, it isn't long before the Larsens are back, so I have kind of given up trying to find anything else!

Enjoy your journey, there are a lot of good recommendations above, so many choices! Have fun!

Cheers! The one thing I have noticed after a lengthy internet search on the Larsen speakers is that I have not found anyone who didn't like the way they sound....

I do think they are a very "likeable" speaker in general. They do little wrong, and quite a few things very right. I do think they are a speaker that many are just afraid to try, different looks, design, etc. They aren't the Harbeth or whatever typical popular speaker that gets mentioned often, but they don't try to be either, they certainly do march to a bit of a different beat. They will never win the popularity contest, there is no willy-waving when you tell your audio friends "Oh, I just got a pair of Larsen speakers". You get the blank stare. But most will miss out because of this, or maybe not.

I do think what does happen when people hear these for the first time, is that they are put off by the different presentation that they give versus the typical box/direct driver speaker, and it is one of those things one needs some time to wrap their head/ears around. Some give up too soon.

If one wants detail out the wazzoo, and pin-point imaging that other box speakers give, this isn't the one to chose from. But if you want a speaker that is very natural sounding, not harsh or etched, and just plays music while it gets itself out of the way and does its stuff, both physically and musically, this can be the one.

Obviously I am a big fan of these speakers, love them!

Larsens are a good shout.
I use my Heco Direkts tight to wall. They are big though
I replaced my AN-J with these as I couldn't get them in the corners. I had the same issue with plasterboard rather than a solid wall and couldn't get my AN's sounding how I knew they could

The Heco Direkts certainly have interested me, they would probably be one of the speaker choices for me to demo if I was back in that mode. I think they could be a very good match for my Croft pre/amps. The price certainly is a cheaper when compared to kind of similar designs as Devore, Trenner and others.

advertisement

Back