advertisement

Speakers for Nait 2

A service would probably be next in line of priorities as the nait it is unserviced. What I could do now was to replace the sucko power plug it came with (by the way Thom, was that the original plug?). I replaced it with a MK plug that Naim is shipping the latest boxes and the difference was quite obvious, all the harshness is gone much smoother now. I also tried to connect the power cord straight inside the wall socket but from some reason it was better using the plug even that the mk plug has a fuse inside.

Its Andy's system I'm referencing to, there was a greater difference switching speaker cable, than between the 2 systems ( Nait 2 vs A102, SNAPS Mono 110's) the bigger system had better bass control, more air ect, but it wasn't massive.

Switching to Audioquest type 4 changed the balance dramatically, I'm in the evaluation stage.

Note, I think the cable is on the official 'avoid' list, because of its construction, however neither of us have had any instability with the amps.

Cristian, the power cable plug was the one it came with when I bought the amp. My guess is that it is the original plug as the guy I bought it from (the original owner) did not strike me as the type who would go and modify something like that (for instance, he never considered servicing the unit).

Thom

The speakers are placed about 40 cm from the rear and side walls.

It wouldn't normally be a good idea to site speakers equal distances from rear and side walls.

There are some good guidelines here:

http://www.cardas.com/content.php?area=insights&content_id=26&pagestring=Room+Setup

Plenty of others around too, but they are pretty consistent in terms of not placing them in corners with equal distances side/back. Well worth experimenting, sometimes big changes occur with really quite small adjustments in the speaker/sitting positions.

The only practical matching considerations are room size, where you sit and how loudly you wish to listen.

So if you wish to listen at high SPLs in a large room, don't stick a pair of insensitive monitors with a small main driver on the end of the 18wpc Nait. It'll be clipping most of the time.
If on the other hand you have a small room and listen in near-field at <= moderately loud levels, you can use just about anything.

The design is electrically benign and it won't care what it gets asked to drive within it's power rating.

So if you wish to listen at high SPLs in a large room, don't stick a pair of insensitive monitors with a small main driver on the end of the 18wpc Nait. It'll be clipping most of the time.
If on the other hand you have a small room and listen in near-field at <= moderately loud levels, you can use just about anything.

Excactly so! I have both a NAIT 2 and a pair of Royd RR3's. Both are excellent, but if you plan to play at a decent sound level, not together. The poor NAIT does go into clipping. LS3/5a's is even worse, but with my 94dB large Lansing monitors, the NAIT works along at tick over most of the time.

So, high efficency speakers is recomended!

JohanR

Speakers that go very well with the Nait 2 and are very easy to drive, are the Audio Note AX-2.
spkr_ax-2_01.jpg

I confess they're not very pretty, but they're affordable (around € 700,- a pair), still available, easy to position and wonderfully open/transparent and detailed.

Plus 1 for Royd Minstrals. A great small speaker and highly underrated. If you really fancy a pair of kans or a speaker which requires a stand then perhaps SWMBO might say "yes" if you offer to cover the stands with some material. Something matching the curtains for example. It will not affect the performance of the speaker and will hide the iron legs. Might be a winner for all concerned !

advertisement

Back