advertisement

Speakers for Nait 2

cristianr

I just bought a Nait 2 and I am looking to change my curent speakers from Kudos X2 to something that do not have such an overblown bass. From what I have found until now the Linn Kans should make a perfect match but I would prefer floorstanders as they require less space. Any suggestions?

What about Naim Credos?
A nice, tight controlled bass that goes low and low impact in terms of space.
Should be an excellent match, I would have thought and good value on the second hand market.
If that's of any interest and if you are anywhere near Goole in Yorkshire, you'd be welcome to try mine out.
Cheers
Steve

I just bought a Nait 2 and I am looking to change my curent speakers from Kudos X2 to something that do not have such an overblown bass. From what I have found until now the Linn Kans should make a perfect match but I would prefer floorstanders as they require less space. Any suggestions?

Most floorstanders require space back to wall like your X2.

Ideal the Kan should fit agreed the stands have a larger footprint but advance in placement right up against wall, not many can perform like that.

Naim IBL will have a smaller footprint, no overblown at all but they are becoming kult and hard to find prices going up like a rocket

Maybe some Rega Ela will match

Royd Minstrels are a lovely floorstanding speaker that are also a heavenly match with the Nait 2. Not expensive either, but can be somewhat fragile so you need to buy wisely to avoid anything with damaged drivers.

Rega Ela/Ela 8?

Not much help but ESL57's and a Nait 2 is a fantastic combination! You wouldn't believe it but this is in the 'I could live with that' territory.

I ran my Nait 2 with Mordaunt Short MS10i speakers for 10+ years, which was veruy satisfying.

Most floorstanders require space back to wall like your X2.

Ideal the Kan should fit agreed the stands have a larger footprint but advance in placement right up against wall, not many can perform like that.

Naim IBL will have a smaller footprint, no overblown at all but they are becoming kult and hard to find prices going up like a rocket

Maybe some Rega Ela will match

I agree with all that Per has said except for the IBL's. I am lucky enough to have a pair and IMHO they need a more powerful amp than the Nait to get them to sing.

I used to have a Nait 2 and tried it with IBL's and it just didn't do it for me I'm afraid. I did also try a pair of SBL's with a Nait mk1 and this worked out rather well :)

I agree with the Credo suggestion. Not big, not difficult to drive and can be used reasonably close to a wall. Very good value SH.
Or Epos ES11 a neat stand mount. I've had both with Naim and could go back no problem. Pushed I'd go for the ES11.

X2 bass shouldn't be overblown and imo they should compete pretty favourably with many of the older suggestions - are you saying you don't have much space or are limited as to where you can place them?

I run a Nait 2 with Minstrels. Previously with Rega Elas 1.5s for years. In a small room the Minstrels are better and the bass not overblown.

I would venture that Minstrels would be your best bet and I've tried numerous including the ES11s which I also love.

Small Royds every time for me.

PS Kans need a lot of driving from my recollection. NAP250 territory rather than Nait 2

I have tried a Nait 2 driving Kudos C20 for several months with no bass boom. X2 is not a C20 but they are both downward firing port. Did you place the X2 in a corner?

Hi Cristian, glad you like the amp :)

I have had pretty good results with the Nait 2 driving Royds (Eden, Sintra, and most of the other 7 L models would work as well, I suppose), Neat Critique, Linn Tukan... and believe it or not, Linn Kaber and Neat Elite. Please do take into account that I am not a loud listener, I prefer my music at something like normal speech level. If you need to rock out a bit more, I don't think you should go with the last two suggestions. (Although I'm not too sure that the Nait is the right amp anyway, in that scenario.)

Anyway, good luck and happy listening!

Thom

I use mine with little Kan IV's (on Kan Two stands). It's really a superb combination. Nobody else does this AFAIK.

The kudos seems like a nice speaker it would be a shame to dismis it without trying to tame the bass problem first ,
Your nait should benefit from a service £120 ish that should tighten up the sound a bit , then try and change of speaker cable , I use old audioquest type 4 with my nait 2 and katans this was a big improvement over naca 4/5
You could also try putting your speakers on some granite or concrete plinths and playing around with their placement ,
Have you thought it might be your room rather than your speakers that might be causing some of the problem ?
You could end up changing your speakers and still have the same problem !
Cheers andy

The speakers are placed about 40 cm from the rear and side walls. I tried some placement arrangement and it seems that the bass is more controlled on the shorter side of the room (4.75 x 3m) on the outside wall. The building is made of concrete, also with concrete floor. I think that the Kudos bass problem is by design, for some reason they were made this way. Or maybe I am too sensitive of this.

advertisement

Back