advertisement

Speakers for Naim system

I use Nubert Nuvero 60 with my Naim 202/220 combo. Standmounts but not exactly small as they are real 3 way. Bass is deep and tight and speakers can be tweaked to the room with switches at the back. Superb speakers. Also tried kef LS50 and Totem model 1 but lacked bass. Factory direct and return policy. No affiliation with Nubert just a happy customer.

Had a few B@W speakers ranging from 800 series to the latest 607s2 . never once have i found them forward ever !! certainly the latest 600 series is lovely . had a few friends use naim with B&w with great success , now naim and focal .... thats another story !!

I have 607 s2 (Anniversary Ed.) on a separate valve system I have, and they're absolutely cracking - a genuine bargain I'd say. They sound poor on my Naim setup when I tried them tho. I have B&W 804S on the Naim system at the mo, I've also had 705 s2, original 705, CDM 1NT, N805 and CM1 - not sure I got any of them sounding quite right on the various Naim setups I've had which include Uniti 1, Nova, 282 / 250, SuperNait 1 & 2 and various Olive and CB boxes. It's a wonder I tried for so long... :)

The D2R look pretty special.

ProAcs have always been synergistic with Naim, I can't vouch for all and recent models but I doubt this coupling has changed. I had 3 x upper original Response floor-standers with various upper Naim configurations and they were superb combos. Not difficult to see why, looking at the general ProAc presentation and ease of driving etc.

Front ports are okay, but if space is limited, I'd suggest the downward firing ported models of a few years back (or maybe still current?) Even front ported speakers should have space all around.

Response D2 at the end of a NAP 110, 160 or a Supernait is something quite amazing.
A Classic 250 will give them some whoumph factor and a NAP 300 will rock the place in an unbelievable way !

Looks like there are basically two available options I can find online from reasonable outlets, both similarly priced towards the top of my budget;
Kudos Super 10
ProAc D2R (also D2D)

Not sure which to hit the button on.
In favour of Kudos, they're more of a known quantity as I had their C10s for a few years which are very similar (that said I did get rid of them, albeit for reasons that are perhaps fixed by the S10). They're also priced much higher new (whatever that means), and generally have a great rep. Against, they could perhaps be considered 'older' tech - not necessarily a bad thing of course.
For ProAcs, they seem to have a soaring rep running with Naim, and also have the charm of the new. Front ports is a plus.

I'll likely make a decision over the weekend, any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

I could of course wait a bit for demos to be back on the table, tho finding a shop that have both to compare locallish might be a long-shot (separate demos are pretty pointless, I find demos generally have limited value as they aways sound completely different when you get them home).

There's loads of speakers that sound great with Naim: Monitor Audio, Sonus Faber, Totem, etc. I would turn the question around: what speakers don't go well with Naim. I can only agree on B&W.

And of course you can still buy brand new kudos x2 at 799 half price at Peter Tyson. A number have bought these. Whether it would match with naim I can't say

what speakers don't go well with Naim?
I have a pair of old Wharfedale 505.2's (50 quid?) that suit my Naim 250. TBH I have a pair of PMC's waiting in the wings that I've never really got going with.
But as always with speakers, it depends on personal listening traits. I like more mid range detail and lower level sensitivity than some of the more expensive models that I have tried.

I’m running neat momentum sx3i with my nac202/nap200. They to my ears sound great and are available heavily reduced now as they have been recently discontinued! Isobaric design also

I have neat momentum sx3i also but running with exposure 3010S2D. Really good, deep bass and very quick. Ran with a rega elex r briefly but didn't feel the combo worked that well, little forward in the treble and the bass a little slower. The exposure made a big difference. I understand Neats go really well with Naim so you should be fine if you did go this route. Only thing I would say and this might just be me or my room, they are quite directional and sensitive to placement ie you need to be in the triangle but if that is no issue they are great.

Monitor Audio works well, though I don’t know UK pricing (I’m in the US). Try one from the Gold line.

ProAc is another; my second favorite system was a pair of Response 2.5 with an olive 250 (or 2!).

advertisement

Back