advertisement

Speakers for Naim system

mathewf

pfm Member
After many, many variations I think I've finally realised that my goto speaker make, B&W aren't generally a good fit for Naim systems - it's to do with the voicing I think, they both have a slightly forward sound that becomes overbearing.

So that said, I'm looking for bookshelf-type speaker to go with my modded Naim system (think Avondale, RSL etc) - used price somewhere between 1-2k. Clear highs, dynamic mids and a reasonable 50Hz or below bass (not interested in subs) are the order of the day.

Any advice or even offers would be appreciated.

Kudos sound good with modern Naim and fit your list of requirements - to my ears anyway.

Not heard them with vintage/modified Naim or heard their bookshelf models but worth investigating.

Kudos sound good with modern Naim and fit your list of requirements - to my ears anyway.

Not heard them with vintage/modified Naim or heard their bookshelf models but worth investigating.

Cheers - I used to have C10s; Super 10s notionally fix most of the reasons I got rid of them and are on my list to try.

When speaker shopping two years ago I rejected B&W for the same reason as you. Unfortunately none of the bookshelf speakers I listened to had the bass I was looking for so I ended up choosing ProAc D20R floor standers which sound great. To be fair the dealer didn’t have any ProAc bookshelf speakers like the D2 and D2R so these would be a possibility. The D20R is well above your budget new but the D2 and the DT8 floor stander are close.

New Ophidian Mojo II out now.
Fit budget

Also Wilmslow SM108/110 with Volt units, on my own list, have yet to hear them, guess they're pretty serious.

When speaker shopping two years ago I rejected B&W for the same reason as you. Unfortunately none of the bookshelf speakers I listened to had the bass I was looking for so I ended up choosing ProAc D20R floor standers which sound great. To be fair the dealer didn’t have any ProAc bookshelf speakers like the D2 and D2R so these would be a possibility. The D20R is well above your budget new but the D2 and the DT8 floor stander are close.

The D2R look pretty special.
They seem to have plenty of bass @ 30Hz. Forward-firing ports are preferable with the somewhat compromised space they'll need to go in.
Think they may have found their way to the top of my try list.

May I ask if you had a specific concern or preference for the ribbon over the dome tweeter in the D20 pls?

May I ask if you had a specific concern or preference for the ribbon over the dome tweeter in the D20 pls?

The reality was simpler than that. I heard the D20R at the dealer and it was so good that I went for it even though I had originally visited to buy a pair of much bookshelf speakers costing less than a third of the price of the D20R. I didn’t do a test against the D20 or similar. Having shopped for speakers at various times over a 40 year period I know the sound I want to live with and the D20R was a rare example of a speaker that hit the sonic bullseye. The only other one that has done that was the Epos ES22 25 years ago.

The ribbon tweeter is more directional than a standard dome but the sound coming out is very clean. For my listening situation the directionality is not a concern.

The ribbon tweeter is more directional than a standard dome but the sound coming out is very clean. For my listening situation the directionality is not a concern.

Thank you (not sure whether to call you 406v6) - that last sentence hits both main concerns for me - a cleaner sound is good, but I'm rarely in the centre of my speakers. I also read someone's comment that the domes are slightly more forgiving on poorer electronics, which I guess is a good test of a system and maybe a safer bet.

On the site it mentions that the dome tweeters are lighter than a human hair, which tickled me :)

I have a pair of d2's (dome tweeter). I auditioned them against b&w, kef, atc, pmc and the proacs won.
Can't recommend them highly enough.
Proac also use naim amps at shows so they're a well known match.

I find that they do like a bit of oomph imo. I've used mine with a naim 5i (50w) and a roksan amp (120w) and slightly prefer the roksan. But I think the d2's would really sing with something like an xs2 or sn2/3 or separate naim pre/power.
Also factor in that they need to go on good heavy stands.

I have a pair of d2's (dome tweeter). I auditioned them against b&w, kef, atc, pmc and the proacs won.
Can't recommend them highly enough.
Proac also use naim amps at shows so they're a well known match.
Cheers, definitely feels I'm swinging that way - if only I could dem some o_O
Did you trial them against ribbons?

After many, many variations I think I've finally realised that my goto speaker make, B&W aren't generally a good fit for Naim systems - it's to do with the voicing I think, they both have a slightly forward sound that becomes overbearing.

So that said, I'm looking for bookshelf-type speaker to go with my modded Naim system (think Avondale, RSL etc) - used price somewhere between 1-2k. Clear highs, dynamic mids and a reasonable 50Hz or below bass (not interested in subs) are the order of the day.

Any advice or even offers would be appreciated.

Had a few B@W speakers ranging from 800 series to the latest 607s2 . never once have i found them forward ever !! certainly the latest 600 series is lovely . had a few friends use naim with B&w with great success , now naim and focal .... thats another story !!

Cheers, definitely feels I'm swinging that way - if only I could dem some o_O
Did you trial them against ribbons?

nah, I got mine about 5 years ago so the ribbon ones weren't out. from reading people's experiences that have auditioned both, the majority have said that the ribbon ones are better. I rarely see the d2's on the 2nd hand market, a testament to how good they are. but that's just my opinion.

yes lovely pair of D2 just sold 1899 at second hand hi fi however as previouly mentioned recently got B&w 607s2 and they are certainly very good . not tried them with naim though

My naim 5i is currently driving a pair of dynaudio excite x12. Another great speaker. The sound coming from these small cabinets is something else. Think I paid around £450 for them (2nd hand). My d2's are better, obviously, they're more expensive, bigger cabinets so bass is better, but there's not much in it.

I can imagine that the special 40's are rather 'special'. Know a few supernait owners have the amp paired with the s40's and love the combo.

advertisement

Back