advertisement

Speakers for low volume listening

Conan

Loop digger
I really enjoyed reading the Proac tab 10 vs Spendor S3/5r vs Celef LS8 from Matt J especially regarding the differences between speakers during late night sessions.
I too listen mostly at late night at low to moderate volume level.
I am aware that some speakers only "wake up" at a certain volume so my quest has always been for speakers that work well at low volume.
Im currently using the Dali Zensor 1 which are an excellent speaker for the price.
My question is:
Is it really worth spending more money on speakers just to play at low volume (like Spendor S3/5, Proac Tab 10, etc)?

My room is 4m x 4m and the amplifier is JVC AX1010, source is a Sonos Connect.

You can't beat open baffle or horn loaded speakers for low to moderate listening. Quite often they sound much better at these volumes rather than they do cranked up a bit....

I really enjoyed reading the Proac tab 10 vs Spendor S3/5r vs Celef LS8 from Matt J especially regarding the differences between speakers during late night sessions.
I am aware that some speakers only "wake up" at a certain volume so my quest has always been for speakers that work well at low volume.
Im currently using the Dali Zensor 1 which are an excellent speaker for the price.
My question is:
Is it really worth spending more money on speakers just to play at low volume (like Spendor S3/5, Proac Tab 10, etc)?

Your amplifier has a bass tone control which you should use to compensate the ear's reduced sensitivity of those frequencies at lower volumes.

Some speakers can reproduce more detail at low volumes than others. If possible take your amp to a dealer and listen to a few different speakers at the intended listening level.
I'd avoid "toy" speakers such as the ones you've mentioned unless you intend to partner them with a subwoofer.

Speakers who's bass driver's diameter is less than the length of one's penis is I think the standard measurement for classification of toy speakers. Obviously that varies from one person to the next. ;) ( I thought it important to add a smiley there)

For late night solo listening, I would say small near field speakers, you can listen at higher volume without disturbing everyone

My experience is that larger speakers are better at low volumes than their smaller cousins.

I tend to agree and certainly love listening to my Lockwoods at low late-night levels. Because they are efficient, dynamic and shift a lot of air they just don’t need volume to bring scale and heft, it is just there. I also enjoy my JR149s, which are the same size-class and context as the ProAcs, Spendors etc mentioned, but to my ears they do need just a few more db even in my very nearfield context compared to the Tannoys.

My question is:

I'd say those British speakers are way better than Dali chinese, which price also indicate.
Give them a BK sub too, perhaps upgrade source
Never heard the JVC amp

Speakers whose bass driver's diameter is less than the length of one's penis is I think the standard measurement for classification of toy speakers. Obviously that varies from one person to the next. ;) ( I thought it important to add a smiley there)

Would that be a flaccid or erect penis ?

( By the way, I corrected who’s to whose for you )

advertisement

Back