advertisement

Speakers for low volume listening

Slight aside, which cheap(ish) or say <£200 Sennheisers are recommended? I don't mind buying second hand and have a headphone amp or two.

I already have a system in another room (Nait 2 and Royd Merlin).
in the living room I only listen late at night at low volume and I think that the JVC 1010 is overkill for that purpose. Besides that aesthetics also play an important part in my living room layout and unfortunately i cannot have large speakers.
I also have a Sonos Beam for TV purposes and that suits me fine.
For those reasons, I came to the conclusion that headphones are probably the best solution.
I like the freedom of wireless headphones and I am happy to live with its limitations. I might go for a pair of Sony WH-1000M3

Well, lets see if there any more oppinions, regarding this matter, in 2023)
Basically, I'm fairly new to speakers listening as I used to have headfi setup for many years, but recently decide to switch to speakers. My current setup is DAC 2 (multi bit tda1543 DAC, made in France), Inca Tech Claymore AMP (serviced and upgraded by Colin Wonfor in 2020) and JPW AP2 speakers, serviced and upgraded by Anapeach, 3 months ago.
Overall the sound is very pleasant, but I have a few concerns. I would like to achieve the effect, where the music is going to fill my room, so I can hear and feel this big sound, clearly. Meantime the positioning is great: I have the vocals in the middle and the rest of the instruments - on the sides, kinda moving from left to right and back, depend of the song. But they sounds rather tight to the position of the speakers, then moving towards the listening spot.
Other thing is I'm listening mostly in the late evening time, with moderate volume level, so really want to save the effect, I'm trying to achieve, with low-moderate volume level, so I don't need to crank up the AMP - to feel that music "breathing" and filling the room.
At this point I'm leaning towards the potential solution of getting bigger speakers. I've read in this thread quite a few suggestions to get the small bookshelf speakers, but for me the whole point is not to be able to listen the sound, sitting next to the speakers and not disturbing the neighbors, but rather sitting 2-3 meters away, have a relatively low volume and still feel this 3d and the music feeling up my room.
Is it possible at all and if yes - what kind of speakers can help me to achieve it?

advertisement

Back