advertisement

Speakers for a small room

I got SBL's in my room yesterday, so won't comment on sound, they do take up a lot less space than ES14's due to the design requiring a wall to be close to.

If build quality is anything to go on, I'm in for a treat?

I have heard the radius 270. They are a home cinema speaker really, do not reach very low or give any impression of weight, as they are designed to be used with a sub. Same applies to the Apex, which I prefer to the radius 270, but neither is convincing with music. If your not going for a sub the RX1's are MUCH better. if you are using a sub, the Apex's are quite nice.

I have Q Acoustics 2020s and find that they work really well about 5cm from the wall. Unlike other rear ported speakers I have tried that sound congested if you do that the Q Acoustics sound as sweet but the rear wall just brings more tuneful bass. Very happy with them. Likely to move to the Concept 20s as I have home demoed them in the same spot. They add an extra level of resolution over the already superb 2020. I think that Q Acoustics are in a league of their own at the moment for low priced speakers. Highly recommended. Not heard the Concept 20s with their stands at home yet as it would not be an option for us. Heard them at Bristol Show last year on their stands and they were definitely the stand out product of the show. I was expecting a £1000 combined price point but the pair are currently £499.

CJ

I heard the concepts with their dedicated stands on the end of a Chinese valve amp and they sounded amazing.

Really impressed with the Q Acoustics speakers, baffling that a pair of 2020's can be had for £100

I recommended the 2020s to friend about a year ago and he's happy with them.

But I'm deeply ashamed that I was instrumental in his buying them.
I find them quite horribly congested. Female vocals for instance are, to be polite, very average.

For your money a decent pair of s/h standmounts will be a revelation in comparison.

The Leemas I mentioned earlier for instance are a much superior speaker in every way, as are the AVIs. Both of which I owned for a good while before selling them to get a pair of SBL's which also incidentally work very well in a small room.

You might also try some of the front ported smaller Kef's. A Uniqute driver may be useful in a small space.

I heard the concepts with their dedicated stands on the end of a Chinese valve amp and they sounded amazing.

Really impressed with the Q Acoustics speakers, baffling that a pair of 2020's can be had for £100
Just hooked up my Q Acoustics 2010i's from the lounge, 10 cms from the wall. Sounding pretty good listening to The Waterboys. I'll live with them for a few days and see how I get on.

What more would investing in a pair of 2020's the Concepts give over the 2010i's?

I'm currently using a pair Neat Iotas in a slightly larger room and they do sound very good. I also use a Gemini II sub with them so this would push the budget up a bit .... It does sound bloody good though!

I have some Linn 109s in my office system right up against the wall. They are front ported and work really well in small rooms. I had them in a room about the same size as yours in a previous house some years ago and liked them a lot. I would think the Quad could drive them. I use an Onix 21.

Just hooked up my Q Acoustics 2010i's from the lounge, 10 cms from the wall. Sounding pretty good listening to The Waterboys. I'll live with them for a few days and see how I get on.

What more would investing in a pair of 2020's the Concepts give over the 2010i's?

Have never heard the 2010's but had some 2020i's for a while, the concepts are massively better than the 2020i, not very good at describing speakers but they just sounded more open or a fuller sound that filled the room and was much clearer.

I have some Linn 109s in my office system right up against the wall. They are front ported and work really well in small rooms. I had them in a room about the same size as yours in a previous house some years ago and liked them a lot. I would think the Quad could drive them. I use an Onix 21.
Yes, I wondered about the 109s, the review on Stereophile is very favourable. I used a pair of Keilidhs for years in a bigger room.

advertisement

Back