advertisement

Speakers for a small room

mr sneff

pfm Member
Hi, can anybody recommend some speakers for my small listening room? The listening room is approximately 10ft x 10ft and 8ft high and due to the position of the speakers relative to the door, it's only possible for the front of the speaker/stand to be 12 inches from the back wall, not a lot of room when you take plinths, binding posts and speaker cables into consideration!
My system consists of a Dell laptop running J River Media Centre and also a Pioneer PD-S705 into a Matrix Mini DAC. Amplification is a Quad 34/303. Speakers are John Blue JB3, or they were until this week when, on a whim, I took the JB3s out of the system and substituted my old, tiny, QED Arias and was shocked to discover that I preferred them! To my ears the soundstaging is better and the sound is a tad warmer and more engaging.
If I sell the JB3s to finance some new speakers I’m wondering what speakers forum member would recommend for such a small room? Either small floostanders or stand mount speakers capable of working close to the back wall. I’m not looking for high volume levels, I do most listening late at night, but a warm sound with smooth treble. I’m not particularly bothered about deep bass, neither the JB3s nor the QEDs go very low and I don’t feel as if I’m missing too much. My musical tastes are pretty wide, prog rock, folk, classical (mainly symphonies and choral music) ambient and electronic music. The speakers must be particularly good with vocals, oh, and under £500, new or preloved. Let me know what you think, thanks :)

Q Acoustics 2020i or even better their concept speakers.

Actually I have a pair of 2010is that I use in the lounge that I could try in the system. But, and this applies to the Quad speakers as well, I'm a little concerned with using rear ported speakers so close to the back wall. Don't they need a little space to 'breathe'?

How about selling the 303 as well and getting some active speakers?

£700 will get yo a pair of AVI DM5s, a pair of Adam AX7s or a pair of Equator audio D8's.

Plenty more to look at too. I think you'll be surprised at the sound quality.

Or if you must stick to passives then a pair of Leema Xeros would be very good too along with some neutrons, both excellent small speakers.

There are some on eBay.

The Q's aren't that bad against a rear wall and can go about 6" away without that much bass bloat or boom.

My absolute favourite speakers are ATC SCM7 and were perfect for my room 12' x 15'

I think small rooms are best served with closed boxes as the bass is very controlled.

Linn Kans are also a good option.

Im quite happy with Monitor Audio RX1's in a similar size room.
I'm not really familiar with Monitor Audio speakers, but I have been looking online at the Monitor Audio R270HD, au ultra slim floorstander with a front and rear port, the footprint is so small that I could get them further away from the rear wall than a lot of speakers. Also, the Monitor Audio Apex A10, which is front ported. Does anybody know anything either of these?

Are they not rear ported?

They are but some pretend they are not, it's a slightly strange arrangement.

They certainly have a hole in the back of the cabinet.

Good speaker though, wouldn't have them in a small room as they like a lot of space around them.

Are they not rear ported?

It was a response to Mark saying stay away from ported speakers, they are a great speaker despite being ported, granted most people use them with bungs in though.

Tried them briefly but they were too big for my room, nice sound though.

Completely agree.

I'd stay away form ports altogether.

I would have agreed unconditionally a few weeks ago, but my ATC 50s, with their front ports, work superbly in my 14' by 11' room.

To regurgitate the advice I was given on my own recent "smallish room" thread, you have to try for yourself, and consider some room treatment. Easy if you're buying new, and if going down the second hand route still possible, but obviously involves buying/trying/selling and finally sticking. Depends if it's a journey you think you'd enjoy, I certainly have :)

I use a pair of AVI pro nine plus in my small room excellent speaker not fussed about placement upright sideways shelf or stand front ported

I have Q Acoustics 2020s and find that they work really well about 5cm from the wall. Unlike other rear ported speakers I have tried that sound congested if you do that the Q Acoustics sound as sweet but the rear wall just brings more tuneful bass. Very happy with them. Likely to move to the Concept 20s as I have home demoed them in the same spot. They add an extra level of resolution over the already superb 2020. I think that Q Acoustics are in a league of their own at the moment for low priced speakers. Highly recommended. Not heard the Concept 20s with their stands at home yet as it would not be an option for us. Heard them at Bristol Show last year on their stands and they were definitely the stand out product of the show. I was expecting a £1000 combined price point but the pair are currently £499.

CJ

Dynaudio DM 2/6 or 2/7's, both designed to work well close to a wall. I had the latter and thought them very good, and flexible re positioning.

advertisement

Back