advertisement

Speaker Recommendations for Sugden A21a Power Amp.

I've owned A21a and Harbeth C7ES3 in the past. Wouldn't recommend the combo at all for rock etc. even if it's lovely on vocals. Synergy is in the eye of the beholder to some extent.

Is your room boom worse after changing the amp?
Yes, although I only played music for 10 mins or so. Prior to installing the Sugden/Exposure pairing, I was using a Leema Class D integrated (Elements with 56watts per channel).

I had the front ports bunged with both amps, but there was no bass boom with the Leema). The Revel speakers are pretty big considering the size of my dedicated listening room. They’re already 1m from the rear wall (measured from the front) and I can’t really move the further forward
Pete

Living Voice if you can accommodate them.
I have a similar sized room like the op and the LV didn't work, way to much bass. It sound like a too loud subwoofer sometimes and I can place the speakers anywhere because it is my hifi room and nothing more.

Small rooms are very hard to get right in the bass frequencies because the room modes are close together so you have many big dips and peaks.

Also my Harbeth C7 XD has the effect, the M30.1 which has the -3dB point around 50Hz didn't have that problem.

I wouldn't use anything bigger like a M30.X without a DSP.

The PMC 23 floor standers work well in a small room, transmission line speakers with no rear ports so no bass bloom when near to a wall, work well for me with an Exposure XXVIII, whether an ideal match for Sugden i don't know, i am trying to find a real world priced Sugden atm as i would like try one.

My dealer liked Proac. I actually heard the amp there with Arros bitd. I think one of the smaller Neats will likely be a good match too in terms of new speakers...

The PMC 23 floor standers work well in a small room, transmission line speakers with no rear ports so no bass bloom when near to a wall, work well for me with an Exposure XXVIII, whether an ideal match for Sugden i don't know, i am trying to find a real world priced Sugden atm as i would like try one.
I think there is still a dual mono Sugden in the classifieds for £600. Worth a try as you would get your money back if you sell it.

I think there is still a dual mono Sugden in the classifieds for £600. Worth a try as you would get your money back if you sell it.

Seen it thanks Mike, have been in discussions with seller but opinions differ on value, it's still for sale so we'll see, it certainly looks a very nice piece.

It's very interesting. I always liked the A21p and this should be a noticeable improvement. Hope you get to try it and let us know how you get on. Is Patrick still at Sugden? You could ask his opinion.

rather than start a new thread thought I'd ask in here (sorry if hijacking). but also looking for a smallish floorstander to go with a a21se that can work relatively close to a wall. room is around 4m by 4m and budget is £3k. also happy to buy 2nd hand. current speakers are proac d2's which I'm keeping so probably don't want another proac tbh.

My Larsen 6 speakers work well in my 14 x 11' room, powered by a 20w Luxman class A amp, they need to be right up against the wall, though.

advertisement

Back