advertisement

Speaker Recommendations for Sugden A21a Power Amp.

Mr Magoo

Hello. How are you?
Looking to build a shortlist of recommended speakers with a synergy with this classic amp. My listening room is about 4m x 3.5m and my budget is up to £2.5k, possibly a little higher for the right speakers. Stand mount or floor standing. Music is mainly rock with some jazz. Speakers requiring a lot of space to breathe aren’t an option due to limited room size.

I currently have a pair of Revel F206s with a nominal impedance of 8ohms and 88db sensitivity. They’re quite big speakers for the room. I plan to implement some room treatment once I feel the speakers are right for the amp. Not really heard this combination yet as my phono stage developed a fault after a few minutes play, but I noted quite a boom in the bass in my room. Hope to have the phono stage back soon. Sadly, it wasn’t simply the charger or the battery at fault in my Nighthawk.

Many thanks
Pete

Last edited:
The best match I ever heard with this integrated was the Proac Tablette but this may be a bit bass shy for you rock music. Trumpets were simply outstanding though.
I would be curious to try the Proac Response D2 with it..........
I also been advised this little Sugden sounds really good with the Harbeth 30.1 but eh, probably many amps sound very good with these anyway.

Living Voice if you can accommodate them, Totem also work really well with the Sugden A21a , I had both Arros and Mites, the best results I had with the A21a in a relatively small space was with the Diapason Adamantees , though relatively rare, another speaker worth looking for may be the Reference Da Capo. All of these are easy to drive regardless of the sensitivity figures.

I'll stick to stand mounts for my suggestions, and I do like the one for Reference Da Capo. Tannoy Prestige Mini Reference, just been looking for an offer that I think Peter Tyson had on them, but it's not there now. Looked on ebay and saw these, unsure whether you think it too far to travel, it would be ok with me :) Monitor Audio Platinum PL100 (Series II) Speakers with Stands | eBay

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Living Voice if you can accommodate them, Totem also work really well with the Sugden A21a.
I second that. Living Voice speakers always mated very good with Sugden A21a.
Even newer models Auditorium and Avatar (although little bit pricier) are the ones that lot of companies mate them with Sugden in exhibitions and they do sound wonderful.

The two which stood out when I had my A21a were the Totem Arros (which I still have) and Dali Menuets. Just bought a pair if the SE Menuets and am looking at either Sugden or Lyngdorf for amplification.

Someone mentioned Dali and Living Voice, funny thing is the old Dali 4/104 are what LV based their first design as far as I know.

When I had the Sugden in question, I used Heybrook HB1, Quartet, Royd (various) and Snell/Audio Note.
I recall Quad 57 were an interesting partner as well.

The best match I ever heard with this integrated was the Proac Tablette but this may be a bit bass shy for you rock music. Trumpets were simply outstanding though.
I would be curious to try the Proac Response D2 with it..........
I also been advised this little Sugden sounds really good with the Harbeth 30.1 but eh, probably many amps sound very good with these anyway.

Assuming that the OP is talking about the A21aP (ie. the power amp version) then I have had both that and Harbeth 30.1 for many years but wouldn't say either is my favourite pairing with the other. As a power amp this is partly down to what pre is in use but for example, with a passive I think the Quad 405-2 does a better job with the bass on the 30.1 than the Sugden, gives a bit away in involvement but overall the Quad is more even handed in this context (in my system in my room etc.) giving well defined, articulate bass.
Conversely, into a big pair of Tannoys I'm happier with the Sugden. With the Harbeths, the Sugden Anv50 does a much better job for me. I know it is a model which divides opinion but it might just be the best I have ever heard the 30.1s sound.

Apologies for the confusion. Yes, it is the Sugden A21aP that I have. It’s currently partnered with the Exposure 3010S2 pre-amp. Vinyl is my only source (Well Tempered Versalex/Dynavector 17D3). Thanks for the suggestions so far.

Pete

Harbeth. I asked the (willing) dealer to bring them all along for a home demo.
To my surprise, the cheaper 3 and 7 sounded best with the Sugden in my room.
I bought both.

I think the Sugden A21 did a sterling job of driving my Ardens. The Luxman is definitely better all-round but I could have lived with the A21 and did offer to buy it before I bought the Luxman but was too late. Good amp, plenty of poke for 93dB Tannoys IMHO...

Anything of over 6R impedance and better than 86dB/W efficiency will be just fine. If the OP isn't bothered about loud and has a small room then lower efficiency "mini monitors" also fine. It ain't some 7WPC SET....

Harbeth and Living Voice are mentioned by several contributors, so are on my shortlist. Plus possibly Proac. Any others?

I've owned A21a and Harbeth C7ES3 in the past. Wouldn't recommend the combo at all for rock etc. even if it's lovely on vocals. Synergy is in the eye of the beholder to some extent.

Is your room boom worse after changing the amp?

I've had very good luck with the Rogers LS3/5a and JM Reynaud Bliss Silvers. TBH, the Sugden A21 sounds great with most speakers of over 90db sensitivity.

advertisement

Back