advertisement

speaker recommendation

taffyboy1

pfm Member
looking to replace my aged pair of rega ela mk2 floor standers, driven by naim amplification nac122/nap250.

looking at a speaker that can to positioned close to wall and not too large to fit in family living room.

looking at neat iota alpha due to their friendly size/design.

prefer a floor stand but would consider a stand mount if i could use a nice looking stand design.

budget around £1500

Look at Infinity Kappas from the mainland, probably 7, maybe 6 or 8, - peanuts for amazing speakers.

I would look at Fyne Audio. I'm not saying they'll fit the bill but I've been really impressed by what I've heard. A heck of a lot of experience has gone into those speakers and it shows.

Definitive Technology BP9040 or smaller version 9020
92db easy to drive & 22hz extension 8" subwoofer with built-in 300-watt Class D amplifier & two 8" passive bass radiators
Have them in 5.4.4 Atmos system but excellent for music
you can add Atmos modules on top & matching centre

def-tech-bp9040_l_5-large.jpg

Nice pair of Neat Elite SX on the auction site for £950 or best offer, collection only Sth London though.
I’ve had my eye on them myself, lovely speakers that are no doubt a good match with your amp.

thanks guys keep them coming, incidentally I was impressed by a pair of Dali Menuet's today, very small speaker but big sound too! but not a floor stander.

Look at Infinity Kappas from the mainland, probably 7, maybe 6 or 8, - peanuts for amazing speakers.
Interesting suggestion. I used to have infinity alpha 5 satellites with a denon dm30 as my uni hifi setup - was amazing, particularly in my small room in halls. In all honesty has been difficult to beat it with all the expensive kit I've had since then.

Given the power and drive of your NAP 250, I would also give a listen to some Proac Response D2. I heard this combo in a hi-fi show and despite the small size of these bookshelves, nobody could tell if there was a subwoofer or not.
If you need deeper bass, a used pair of Totem Manitou is outstanding with your amplifier : very detailed bass without over emphasis and always under control.

looking to replace my aged pair of rega ela mk2 floor standers, driven by naim amplification nac122/nap250.

looking at a speaker that can to positioned close to wall and not too large to fit in family living room.

looking at neat iota alpha due to their friendly size/design.

prefer a floor stand but would consider a stand mount if i could use a nice looking stand design.

budget around £1500

Ela is allready great and could be difficult to replace
Iota Alpha will hardly work perfect very close to rear wall.
However they deliver a surpricingly large sound from such a miniature speaker.
Need some space & power which your amp have.

Maybe service poweramp if old (and Hicap if thats the psu?)
Maybe get a higher hiearchy preamp and optimise source.

@taffyboy1 - can you tell us what your music sources consist of? A naim 250 sits at the higher end of the naim range, but the NAC 122 was at the budget end of the preamp range. Depending on your sources being good enough, I would be more inclined to even your amplification end up with a better preamp and possibly a separate preamp power supply.

Recently I went auditing about 10 pair of bookshelf speakers and 2 particular models stand out from the rest. The Triangle Comete EZ and the Revel M106.

@taffyboy1 - can you tell us what your music sources consist of? A naim 250 sits at the higher end of the naim range, but the NAC 122 was at the budget end of the preamp range. Depending on your sources being good enough, I would be more inclined to even your amplification end up with a better preamp and possibly a separate preamp power supply.

Here is current set up

lp12/cirkus/ittok/dv20L
naim cd3
Michell Iso Phono stage with external Hera PSU

nac122/avondale spx psu
nap250 (avondaled)

rega ela mk2

Rega ELA mk1 !

I preferred them to SBLs when I auditioned them nearly 30 years ago (driven by NAP250).

They're considered better than the mk 2 (which I have also owned), if a pair turn up they would be worth a try I think.

Here is current set up

lp12/cirkus/ittok/dv20L
naim cd3
Michell Iso Phono stage with external Hera PSU

nac122/avondale spx psu
nap250 (avondaled)

rega ela mk2

Your sources look okay.

I would definitely be looking at a better preamp in that setup - Avondale / Naim or ANother. A better preamp will allow the whole system to perform better.

A Naim 72 or 32.5 has no remote facility if you can live without one (unless you get the RSL remote boards option), but they enable you to swap out the main 321 and 729 boards with aftermarket tweaked versions available from the likes of Avondale / Ryan Sound Lab (RSL) / Neil Jadman etc.

advertisement

Back