advertisement

Speaker placement using calculators.. Cardas, KEF..

Hi Ruggie,
According to the Cardas calculator..... My maggies should be 110cm from the side wall. (yep - they are) but, incredibly, over 5m from the back wall - a little more than half way down the length of the room.... which would look very strange indeed. The Maggies are currently around 1.5m from the back wall.
Now I'm wondering what I'm missing!

I have a listening room size 7340 x 3940cm, with speakers on the short wall firing down the room.. sofa is about 2/3 of the room back and I have always had the speakers reasonably close to the rear wall, say 1.5 ft away, and often thought that the system sounded better as I neared the speakers (as the sofa is way too far back for an equalateral triangle) so today I thought I’d try a calculator to see where they recommend speaker positioning..

I can’t quite believe how far into the room they say they should be..!

the speakers are now 79cm from the sidewalls (acceptable and looks okay) but the distance from the back of the cabinet is 147cm, yes 1.5m away from the back wall and frankly, it looks a bit ridiculous…

BUT if it works, I’ll mark the spot on the floor and get the speakers on some castors so I can roll em out (separate thread for solid castor recommendations coming up!)

So, does anyone actually use these measurements for speaker placement? Yes the image is spot on, the whole wall is now a speaker and it sounds bloody amazing, but I wondered who else actually uses these measurements??

http://www.cardas.com/room_setup_calculators.php

If you’ve never done it - go give it a go - I’ve never had a better soundstage, BUT it feels like the speakers are in the middle of the room (not in the slightest bit wife acceptable!)

7r3J1mV.jpg

I can walk behind the speakers quite easily..!

IifEobx.jpg
Looks fine to me

advertisement

Back