advertisement

Sound quality at gigs

Last year a friend invited me to see Incubus at the Eventim Apollo in London. I didn't know the band, and learned (the hard way) that I don't like their music. The sound was passable and too loud.
Then I saw Ben Harper outdoors at the Tio Pepe Festival in Jerez de la Frontera. Brilliant performance and the sound quality was amazingly good.
I also went to see caroline at the Kings Place in London and it looked like they were using the venue's sound system. It sounded dreadful but I really enjoyed the performance.
Finally I saw Kristin Hersh at a tiny and very desolate Community Centre in Oxford. I was sitting 3 metres from the singer-songwriter and the cellist accompanying her. Sound quality was adequate but the experience was wonderful.

I've usually found it to be venue dependant. Pubs are usually a bit of a mixed bag, often ok if the musicians are only using their own combo amps (with unamplified drummer) but usually worse to bad if their is a pub PA involved as they're usually dire.

I've always found the large venues, (the closed ones not oudoor/stadiums etc), to be the best personally, maybe it's because of the genre of the bands I went to see. Never heard bad sound at Wembley arena (no idea if it's still called that) for example, seen Iron Maiden, AC/DC and Peter Gabriel there (probably others I can't recall right now). The middle sized ones are the ones which I've found the most variable personally. Places like the Hammersmith Odeon (again don't know what it's currently called) are often the worst in my experience.

Used to watch a jazz band local to a friend of mines house when we were doing our A levels etc, great sound.

Should be noted that apart from attending Sonosphere about a decade ago, I haven't been to a gig this millenium :)

I’m obviously describing smaller gigs here, I’ve never had even the slightest interest in big venues or stadiums. I always caught bands early on when they were playing to a few hundred in small clubs.
I always say that if I can't sit close enough to put my feet on the edge of the stage, the event is wrong for me! The Band on the Wall* springs to mind, gigs like Everhard Weber's, where the bar staff were told to shush as they were too loud. The ventilation system was then too loud!
*Years ago, I don't know what it's like now.

Tool at the O2 in 2022 was one of the worst rackets I've ever been subjected to, and from a band whose studio output is fabulously well recorded.

The only way I found of negating the innevitable echo up-down of large ballrooms/ old cinema domed ceilings.. is to get right up the front so you hear the amps/ drums etc -before- the sound shoots up. Brixton Academy is the worst culprit I found, appalling ackustics if you're in the middle floor area. The echo smears everything, dreadfully. Or watch from balcony, but even here the sound is compromised. Twds the back of Brixton Ac, under the balcony, stops the echo but the sound is badly compromised here. An awful place to hear music. It was a cinema, nuff said. The Albert Hall had exactly this problem, probably worse due to the uniformity & bigger ceiling dome, that they were forced to add an acoustic barrier/ series of suspended trampoline whatnots. I believe the result was only partially successful: many say it's still a poor place acoustically, others finding areas acceptable for sound quality.

My heyday was at the Garage, Highbury corner: low ceiling, 2k capacity or so max, no bouncing sound nasties/ all soaked up well so you had complete trust you could hear properly. Smaller the venue, likely better the sound too imo. REM in a big NEC place, 88 I think, was a waste of time due to sound reflections smearing the exoerience. Most fans though.. completely oblivious; so the more you know of basic acoustics, the more you criticise of course!

Capt
That's a very accurate summary of the Brixton academy and the garage.

That said I've seen a few bands sound quite good at the academy including the jesus and Mary chain ( on the automatic tour) and siouxsie and the banshees, but usually it's mush. Such a shame as it's a wonderful feeling venue for it's size and one I still have a fondness for. But if a band is playing there as well as another venue I'll take the alternative (unless it's Wembley arena)

As far as London goes, in the last year or two I've had good experiences at earth in hackney, the scala in kings cross, academy in Islington and the forum in Kentish town.

I find there is a big difference with what we might call hi-end venues. Southbank, London Palladium, Barbican, etc. You get clean dynamic sound and your ears don't ring. And you get to sit down as a bonus. I recommend looking our for gigs at this sort of venue.

I saw Melanie De Biasio at the Southbank and the sound was memorably fantastic. Huge range and really clean. And Yo La Tengo at the London Palladium showed just how good indie rock could be with top quality sound.

It is a shame that so many small venues have that loud, dense, ear-ringing sound. Standing at the back is about all you can do if you value your eardrums.

Bitchin Bajas at Metro Gallery Baltimore Maryland last September. Absolutely transcendent. The room achieved lift off.

Left that gig and came home and sad-faced at my hi fi. Gave me goals though. Impact, tone, clarity, scale

I find there is a big difference with what we might call hi-end venues. Southbank, London Palladium, Barbican, etc.
Well I've heard both great and terrible gigs in the Royal Concert Hall in Glasgow. I find these kinds of venue often over-damped and lifeless sounding.

Reactions: irb
That's a very accurate summary of the Brixton academy and the garage.

That said I've seen a few bands sound quite good at the academy including the jesus and Mary chain ( on the automatic tour) and siouxsie and the banshees, but usually it's mush. Such a shame as it's a wonderful feeling venue for it's size and one I still have a fondness for. But if a band is playing there as well as another venue I'll take the alternative (unless it's Wembley arena)

As far as London goes, in the last year or two I've had good experiences at earth in hackney, the scala in kings cross, academy in Islington and the forum in Kentish town.

Hi roman, you know I think there possibly -can- be small ok areas of a generally awful sounding venue. Good even. I saw Fugazi at BA & aimed for the front, not because I remembered the mush-sound from before, adrenaline means my memory isn't functioning at this juncture, but just because I wanted to hear a old Park amp clipping + rickenbacker, up close (I'm an amp nerd). Then I realised 'hey that fkawful Brixton mush sound is almost awol here'. IE a fluke. The balcony, I admit I've never watched from as adrenaline again means I can't keep still up there get fidgity & feel I'm missing out on something so go downagain.. for more mush. Urgh, my brain really let's me down sometimes.

The forum in London I sat at a bloomin balcony table & watched Dinosaur Jr, but only bc I sneaked my way past the ticket chap (I still feel guilty about!) & I no bounced-mush, iirc, but it was so thunderously loud my ears couldn't make any sort of sensible conclusion.

Capt

The forum in London I sat at a bloomin balcony table & watched Dinosaur Jr, but only bc I sneaked my way past the ticket chap (I still feel guilty about!) & I no bounced-mush, iirc, but it was so thunderously loud my ears couldn't make any sort of sensible conclusion.
Ha! A few years back we watched Dinosaur at All Tomorrows Parties from right at the front just a few metres from J's stack of Marshalls. All we could hear the whole gig was just J's monstrously loud guitar with occasionally some drums. Bliss! Glad I had earplugs...

P.S. I should have gone to that Fugazi gig at Brixton but Paradise Lost were playing at the Boston Tavern in Tufnell Park the same night... I did see them a couple of years later with Shellac supporting so can't complain.

Best sounding recent gig was Agnes Obel at B'ham Symphony Hall, superb stuff. Seen War on Drugs a couple of times recently, B'ham O2 in 2022 then again at the Brighton Centre last year. Great live band despite the crap sq at both venues.

In my experience the sound at smaller venues has been better. A few recent highlights have been Patty Griffin & Turin Brakes, both at the Glee Club in B'ham & Smoke Fairies at the Hare & Hounds & another pub venue i can't remember the name of.

Actively trying to take in more classical concerts these days. Saw the Nutcracker at B'ham Hippodrome just before Xmas (does that count as a gig? Fabulous music in any case). Sleeping Beauty at the same venue coming up on Thursday evening. Saw the Piccadilly Sinfonietta play Vivaldis Four Seasons the night before New Year's Eve at B'ham Cathedral, they were excellent & the acoustics in the venue were superb.

TS

Often been disappointed with the sound at gigs. I don't really go to many these days other than classical concerts. Mind you I'll soon be in Eden Court to hear Eddi Reader which if it is like the last time should be fine, with a well balanced sound at a sensible level.

Going back to my youth two gigs stood out: Barclay James Harvest in the Capitol in Aberdeen, well balanced and only just a bit louder than I would have played at home; and Sky who you would have expected to have employed a sensible sound engineer. From the same era I remember going to see Emmylou Harris in the Usher Hall where the mixer had no idea how to balance country music. Emmylou's lovely vocals were buried in the sound of the instruments.

I love live gigs. They’re the real deal - what music is all about. I’m a rock chick & love dancing (although I have to be well lubricated first to go up front!). I don’t go to big gigs in auditoriums & stadiums because I prefer intimacy & chatting with the band after. I can’t abide huge crowds either.

I love playing gigs too. Getting people smiling & moving is the best buzz in the world & I don’t even care if there are hardly any punters as long as they enjoy themselves. I have no time for band w::nkery. Sadly, my energy isn’t what it was & I almost never play at all these days.

I’ve always worn decent earplugs which need not be expensive if you know what you’re looking for. It’s just as well as I’m always losing the things! Good earplugs improve the sound greatly for me as much as bringing the volume down. Otherwise I can find it an actually incomprehensible, sickening, & distressing din.

Some bands have played so well & the sound been so good that I haven’t been able to bring myself to buy the record, as I know it would be completely inadequate in comparison. In these cases, a special memory remains. ☺️

I should have gone to that Fugazi gig at Brixton but Paradise Lost were playing at the Boston Tavern in Tufnell Park the same night... I did see them a couple of years later with Shellac supporting so can't complain.
I saw Fugazi at Planet X in Liverpool back in the late-80s, really good as I recall. Planet X was a great venue, got so many really good bands on the way up and was a place you could stand up front between the PA stack and in front of any mosh-pit activity. Googling it (Discord) suggests it was before they even had a record out! I went to Planet X a lot, knew the people who ran it etc. Saw so many gigs there, played a few too.

I generally enjoy live gigs and experience great sound quality. Recent gigs include Springsteen in Hyde Park, Billy Cobham in Jazz Cafe and around 5 other acts during the London Jazz Festival. None were too loud. Interesting that at Billy Cobham moving two metres changed the sound from soup to clarity. Now, taking my young niece to her taste in bands is a different story and ear protection essential.
The Billy Cobham gig at Jazz Cafe was excellent. Agree that it wasn’t too loud but felt that the sound was poor from where I stood (near the long bench at the back). It was absolutely packed.

Here at Outernet on the Charing Cross Road has a crisp sound system. Kruder & Dorfmeister sounded fantastic, granted it was more of a DJ set than live instruments…

Best sound I have ever heard at a big live gig would be over 20 years ago when Harry Connick Jr. was playing with his big band. It was a 3000+ person room and in the quiet parts you could clearly hear the keys rattle on the saxes.

More recently I saw Mavis Staples support Bonnie Raitt in a 2000-3000 person venue and the sound was great again.

But a lot of other gigs have had poor sound. I don't often go to outdoor 5000+ person gigs.

I regularly see jazz, blues and soul bands play in a 100+ venue. The sound can be great there. Drums are not mic'ed and with solo horns you can hear them acoustically over the PA a lot of the time. Sound can be really good there.

I also play in a few bands (rock, pop and soul based). One venue we play in is 100+ but is pretty loud. The drum kit is fully mic'ed. I have played there over 10 times with different sound techs but the same PA. Afterwards I hang around for the next band. The quality of sound varies from night to night. Not sure if it is the sound tech or the inability of musicians to keep the stage volume low enough for the sound guy to control the sound (it is a small enough room that 100W of guitar or 800W of bass can overpower the PA and create a terrible sound - but that is no excuse for larger venues).

I love live music - but the quality of sound can be a lottery.

I saw Fugazi at Planet X in Liverpool back in the late-80s, really good as I recall. Planet X was a great venue, got so many really good bands on the way up and was a place you could stand up front between the PA stack and in front of any mosh-pit activity. Googling it (Discord) suggests it was before they even had a record out! I went to Planet X a lot, knew the people who ran it etc. Saw so many gigs there, played a few too.
Very cool. One of the greatest bands of all time and really important to me in so many ways.

..and Sky who you would have expected to have employed a sensible sound engineer.
Oh, that takes me back! Saw them at the Apollo in Glasgow, must have been about thirteen.
I love live gigs. They’re the real deal - what music is all about. I’m a rock chick & love dancing (although I have to be well lubricated first to go up front!).
Being up the front at a good gig is all the drug I need ;0)

Southbank, London Palladium, Barbican, etc. You get clean dynamic sound and your ears don't ring. And you get to sit down as a bonus.
Barbican is amazing. Always great sound. There, Godspeed You! Black Emperor were majestic, and in complete contrast to when I saw them at the Troxy - a total mush.

advertisement

Back