advertisement

Sound absorption - what's audible?

Rod, you can't "fix" reverberation by using EQ. All you are doing is removing energy from the signal and in many cases you are being very heavy handed about it. I'm a deal with the problem rather than messing about with the symptoms.

Yes, I know you agree with me, and EQ is helpful..ish.

This is where I am with methods of correct, fix the problem at source. else why buy speakers with such full range if you going to limit the signal sent to them...
OR, if they are ported stuff something in the port and roll them off earlier.

The issue with traps you need enough coverage, so one trap in a corner may have limited effect....

JTC, where are you located ? .....
Are you any good at simple DIY, if you want to make some like the GIK I can give you some tips ..... nothing like a bit of reverse engineering ;) ... I've also created my own QRD/Monster trap design :D

9designs: near Edinburgh. Simple DIY - okay. To tell the truth, it's finding the *time* is the challenge...

9designs: near Edinburgh. Simple DIY - okay. To tell the truth, it's finding the *time* is the challenge...

Hmmm midlands can't help with a demo..... only takes an hour or so to make a panel... if you decide to drop me a PM.

You are not actually rolling off speakers , the issue with room nodes is that they are excited precisely because some speakers can go lower than other designs , what you are doing in applying eq is actually 2 fold
1) you are reducing energy in in the band that excites the mode , thus STILL hearing that frequency , but hearing it as is should be heard , not with the room boosting it madly.
2) You would be increasing amp headroom as well and reducing driver distortion - as EQ only involves cutting and no boosting and only involves low bass.

20 years ago , you did not have the tools to do so without being heavy handed or mangling the signal , today one does have.
I have always maintained that room treatment comes first , do what you can and is acceptable in that domain.. and then use DSP for low bass problems you can't fix.

Good luck with taming a +15db peak physically....

Well, the good news is that the wife is out this afternoon (though the dog and kids aren't) so I *might* get the chance to re-measure the room. Although the mic stands are currently in use in my recording room (I like the bass drum mic stand, as it's good to sit on the sofa). So I might have to improvise a stand as I'm recovering from surgery and therefore can't drive down to the studio to pick up the stand.

Anyway, I digress. Let me re-measure with the sofa further into the room (by around 10") and see what the peak looks like from there. Also, since measuring before, I've had the MDAC tweaked and the ATCs are spiked, so there are a number of variables that mean that that previous plot is likely meaningless now....

Rodney/others: I've no desire to change speakers (not now that I've turned SWMBO around) but is there an otherwise transparent way to do digital EQ in a system consisting of various digital sources, MDAC and ATCs? Don't particularly want to add another box, but if room treatment can only go so far in my circumstances, I'd be daft not to at least consider it...

I wouldn't change speakers either - they are great speakers (I had 50a's) and that might not help as the hump you have is room dependent. Changing seated position is the easiest way to get you out of nulls and peaks. See what happens there first .. measurements are not the be all and end all , your ears are.
Lots of solutions in respect of DSP but if you determined to use the MDAC it has to be something in the chain before it and it will have to accept multiple digital inputs.

No DSP solution can be transparent , it will have to change the sound somewhat to have effect.
I use a Dspeaker antimode 2.0 for bass correction , it however only has toslink SPDIF input (and USB) so can accept limited digital inputs (and takes a single analog input too)but is also a dac and pre and could replace your MDAC or you can run its digital output into the MDAC.
http://www.dspeaker.com/en/products/20-dual-core.shtml

I have used a lot of DSP solutions over the last 15 or so years...one of the best non automated ones is the Z- sys RDP-1 , tho I don't think you will find one floating around.
http://www.tnt-audio.com/ampli/rdp1e.html
http://www.stereophile.com/solidpreamps/278

advertisement

Back