advertisement

SOTM SMS 200

Hi

I watched that the other day which was one of the reasons I was looking into one, I was just curious if any members on here had had a go with one yet

Has anyone had a play with one of these yet, from what I've read these are supposed to be very very good

http://www.sotm-audio.com/sotmwp/english/portfolio-item/sms-200/

Hi

Yes I’ve had my SMS200 for a couple of weeks now after rounding up the relatives for a special birthday GB.

Linux

I’ve come around to the idea to the idea of using light weight Linux based NAA (network audio adaptor) devices through the good old Raspberry PI (IF PSU). Firstly Moode player and then later on with HQplayer NAA. Sounded surprisingly good for a pretty low cost alternative to the two PC set up that I had previously. Good enough to think that there may be something in the method so in went Cubox I and it sounded better still. Mmmm I thought Urendu but the cost was beyond my birthday expectations so the Cubox stayed.

Then up popped the SMS200

SOtM have been around the PC audio scene now for a while this DAC, PSU, Server, USB boards and such like for a while now so not a one product wonder by any means.

So I took a closer look.

The OS has

Roon Ready
DLNA renderer
Music Player Daemon(MPD)
Logitech Media Server(LMS)
Squeezelite
HQplayer
Shairportdevice

All selectable through the slick and quick Eunhasu web based GUI.

Free 60 DAY Roon try out included and a special price for purchasers of the SMS200.

OK

To my ears, in my set up and IMHO.

I’ve been using the SMS200 mostly as an open home renderer streaming from my Synology NAS, running Minimserver with Bubble DS next (Android tablet) as a control point. (a really light set up)
Sounds really good to my ears.

The first thing that I noticed was that the soundstage shape had changed from that sort of flat front and shallow sides type sound. The sound to my ears was noticeably deeper, higher and wider and it was a change I found ''easy'' to spot. Top end sounds a little smoother and at the same time more detailed with much less of that digital glare that I’ve got used to in the past. It's absence is obvious on stuff where I’d blamed the recording.

I really liked the PI and Cubox set up with it’s relaxed, detailed and more musical presentation.

Well the SOtM has that in spades.

With HQplayer sound takes a hike up to another level of detail and clarity compared to the previous set up.

Others will be happy with their PI’s and leave it at that (which is fine) but for those wondering is there anything better?

The SOtM may be a good starting point.

I've not listened the Urendu but hear it's also good but costs more.

I think it’s the best money that my family have spent on me for a ready built product in a LONG time.;)

BTW these are not big number imports so a little waiting time may be required.

Lastly

Credit where it’s due.

Item Audio.

Cool Guys. Great service.

Thanks

Hi Shoom

Thanks for the reply mate very much appreciated,'I do like the idea of the SOTM especially as I can hand a couple of hard drives off the back unlike the Microrendu version. I've been running Roon and HQ Player for a short while on my Mac mini and again like what I hear from this setup, I could only imagine that the SOTM will take it up another level or 2.

Thanks again

Lee

Yes I've got one connected to my Mac Mini. I use Roon with the SMS set as a Roon endpoint. In this configuration it is 100% reliable. But beware that with Roon playing to HQPlayer and the SMS set as an HQPlayer endpoint it is unreliable. I gave up on everything being in sync all the time and it you are constantly switching from PCM to DSD and maybe streaming radio it will give up and everything will need to be rebooted. Believe me, the benefit of any improvement in SQ from HQPlayer is negated by the stress of getting it to play. I believe the author of HQPlayer is aware of this but don't expect a fix anytime soon.
The SMS is a much bigger improvement in SQ than anything HQPlayer can do anyway.

Hi Ian

Interesting that HQP is a bit buggy with the SMS, is it possible to have HQP running on the Mac and run Roon on the SMS?

Is it possible to play music files from a usb hard drive attached directly, not networked, to the SOTM SMS 200?

Is it possible to play music files from a usb hard drive attached directly, not networked, to the SOTM SMS 200?

I think that you may need network connection ATM setup and control but SOtM have wifi but that's still network connection.

on Roon and HQplayer.

I've not tried it so cant say for sure but HQ on its own NAA works flawlessly.

What processor have you in the MAC mini Ian?

LordH

Make sure that your HDD;s are self powered on the SMS200 are self powered if possible.:)

Hi

Has anyone tried it with an upgraded power supply? Better quality power supplies are supposed to make a big improvement to the sound!

Thanks

I've just ordered one, which should arrive early next week. I will compare it with my Microrendu with Teddy Pardo LPS. I should be able to use the same LPS with the SMS.

I like the microrendu enormously, using Squeezelite and LMS running on my Synology NAS. It was certainly much better than a Naim NDX 5S used as a streamer. The only issue I have had is regular dropouts, requiring that it be rebooted almost daily. If the SMS sounds at least as good, and doesn't have the same issues, I think it will be very good.

I've just ordered one, which should arrive early next week. I will compare it with my Microrendu with Teddy Pardo LPS. I should be able to use the same LPS with the SMS.

I like the microrendu enormously, using Squeezelite and LMS running on my Synology NAS. It was certainly much better than a Naim NDX 5S used as a streamer. The only issue I have had is regular dropouts, requiring that it be rebooted almost daily. If the SMS sounds at least as good, and doesn't have the same issues, I think it will be very good.

A lot of us will be interested in what you find...............

SJB

Interesting.

I’ve been using the SMS200 with Minimserver/Bubble DS Next and HQplayer without issue for a few weeks now. The last software Update features WIFI connectivity which I’ve not tried but may be of interest to others.

I’ve not had a listen to the MicroRendu but from what I’ve read its well liked by those that have it. I have read a few instances of it suffering from drop outs which seem to be related to network speed.

I've just checked the specs and as I understand it the URendu has Gigabit Ethernet capability but that’s news to me as I distinctly remember reading that it was restricted to lower speeds than that due to its HW implementation and Sonore’s preference for lower speeds on noise grounds.

It may be worth checking out some of the threads over on Computeraudiophile to see if you can find a cure.

BTW what DAC are you using? I've read some DAC's have Linux issues so if you have a spare it could be worth swapping just to eliminate that possibility.

As for sonic comparisons between the URendu and the SMS200.

interesting.:)

I’ve read one or two but preference may be system dependant IMHO and a little salt required.

But on cost,

No contest.

The SMS still sounding superb and rock solid in my set up.

Interesting.

I’ve been using the SMS200 with Minimserver/Bubble DS Next and HQplayer without issue for a few weeks now. The last software Update features WIFI connectivity which I’ve not tried but may be of interest to others.

I’ve not had a listen to the MicroRendu but from what I’ve read its well liked by those that have it. I have read a few instances of it suffering from drop outs which seem to be related to network speed.

I've just checked the specs and as I understand it the URendu has Gigabit Ethernet capability but that’s news to me as I distinctly remember reading that it was restricted to lower speeds than that due to its HW implementation and Sonore’s preference for lower speeds on noise grounds.

It may be worth checking out some of the threads over on Computeraudiophile to see if you can find a cure.

BTW what DAC are you using? I've read some DAC's have Linux issues so if you have a spare it could be worth swapping just to eliminate that possibility.

As for sonic comparisons between the URendu and the SMS200.

interesting.:)

I’ve read one or two but preference may be system dependant IMHO and a little salt required.

But on cost,

No contest.

The SMS still sounding superb and rock solid in my set up.

Are you sure!

Are you sure!

yes.

from SOtM web site

27/12/16

''Update news about sMS-200 Wi Fi

Greetings, 

Finally we are able to update the news about WiFi support for sMS-200, thank you for your patient. We are still working on few more steps to be done and it will be ready shorty.

Here we would like to inform you in advance that the WiFi feature will be slower than wired one and the Wifi dongle which uses RTL8812AU chipset should be used for sMS-200 WiFi support.

We will keep you posted about sMS-200 Wifi support shortly.''

from a CA post

Version : V0.3.0
- Date : 28-12-2016
- Fix not change background image bug
- Fix raat_watch daemon bug
- Fix broken icon for openhome
- Fix volume issue for MPD
- Add EFI mount disable only for sMS-200
- Add wifi connection feature
- Add RTL8812AU driver
- Update kernel to 4.4.14
- Modify UI

As I mentioned I'm running a wired network with FMC so have no interest in WIFI but others may be waiting for such a thing.

yes.

from SOtM web site

27/12/16

''Update news about sMS-200 Wi Fi

Greetings, 

Finally we are able to update the news about WiFi support for sMS-200, thank you for your patient. We are still working on few more steps to be done and it will be ready shorty.

Here we would like to inform you in advance that the WiFi feature will be slower than wired one and the Wifi dongle which uses RTL8812AU chipset should be used for sMS-200 WiFi support.

We will keep you posted about sMS-200 Wifi support shortly.''

from a CA post

Version : V0.3.0
- Date : 28-12-2016
- Fix not change background image bug
- Fix raat_watch daemon bug
- Fix broken icon for openhome
- Fix volume issue for MPD
- Add EFI mount disable only for sMS-200
- Add wifi connection feature
- Add RTL8812AU driver
- Update kernel to 4.4.14
- Modify UI

As I mentioned I'm running a wired network with FMC so have no interest in WIFI but others may be waiting for such a thing.

Ok thanks I hadn't seen the latest update. You have got to buy the dongle though. It's of no interest to me either.

advertisement

Back