advertisement

Songs of Praise

Jackie Leven always had a sideways take on the religious

Mike Scott had a phase of more overtly Christian based songs, some of which I love:

And there's the sublime Terry Callier

Never mind the rimshots.

Always loved the Staple Singers. My big sis had all the singles on Stax and they were played endlessly in our house back then. Their early stuff from the 50's is amazing.

Alice Coltrane, Hindu devotional mantra meets gospel.

Gaelic psalm singing from the Free Church on the Isle of Lewis. I love how the congregation are free to find their own ways through the psalm without set harmony or meter but the overall effect is of an unshakeable united community.

Great thread. I have very little internet access at the moment, but will definitely be listening to everything posted. Spotify playlist, maybe?

Dylan. IMO There's some of his greatest, most committed singing on "Slow Train Coming".

Richard and Linda Thompson. Another one, like The Staples above, that walks the line between earthly love and spiritual devotion - in this case Sufism.

No need to avoid the obvious, Aretha Franklin - ‘Amazing Grace’.

Duke Ellington - ‘Come Sunday’, features Mahalia Jackson.

A Christian track that would get a parental advisory for racial language (as the actual subject of the track, before the famous Chris Rock routine on similar lines).

Qawwali is a goody and the LP Nightsong epic.
A spell binding collaboration by Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan & Michael Brook.

RW50-1000x1000.jpg

455609715cf9416d979f58f181cf74c1-copy.png

There should be change - the West should understand our music and culture, and vice versa.
With such collaboration, artists can come closer to each other and come to know each other.

Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan

Last edited:
There is a bewildering amount of NFAK stuff out there. Lots of great live footage on YouTube. You could spend months watching it.

Ali Mola is another great one...

advertisement

Back